X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Nice detail work Pat! Stripes are especially difficult on spinners. I don't have that alignment issue you have. That's strange indeed.

I started some detail work of my own this evening. Used washers to gain close to scale raking in the nose and main struts...Looks much better! The nose is 105 degrees like the full scale but the nose gear door won't close as the wheel is now in the way. It strains the servo so I have two choices to make. Either keep the nice scale look of the forward 105 degree rake in the nose strut - which would mean cutting out a rectangular section in the door so it will close all the way - or go back to a less-than-scale rake and save the door.

I am leaning towards cutting the door. I know it's not scale but you don't even notice unless you flip her upside down. Photos below. Let me know your opinions if you don't mind.
    I found a solution for this, if you move the door pull rod to the other side of the mounting tab it will allow the door to shut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod_02.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	894.6 KB
ID:	35738

Stock position.

Name:	Rod_01.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	35739

New position.

Name:	Rake.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	35737

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• You my friend...

...Are the MAN!

Thank you!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

You my friend...

...Are the MAN!

Thank you!

No, but I know Him ;)
        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• LOL...So are you going to tackle the screen mesh for the radiator scoops? I would expect no less from someone with your skill set after all. ;)
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I'm thinking of pulling off the plastic fronts from the radiators, then gluing in the screen and then glue the fronts back on.
            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              I'm thinking of pulling off the plastic fronts from the radiators, then gluing in the screen and then glue the fronts back on.
              That's what I think I'll do because I want to take a look at the real estate behind the firewall to see if I can get the MR RCsound transducers in there. Alpha suggested I see if that would work or if I have to locate them somewhere else. I already have the sound system bought.

Comment

• That's a good idea actually. Here's a photo of the actual full scale radiator intake...You can see the mesh is recessed fairly far from the opening. Obviously we're not aiming for perfect scale accuracy for obvious reasons but I like the idea of removing the plastic front sections and placing the mesh behind them. That will give a nice general scale appeal.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

LOL...So are you going to tackle the screen mesh for the radiator scoops? I would expect no less from someone with your skill set after all. ;)
                  I did a couple days ago, pics are in my build thread.
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Misaligned Trailing Edge Solved:
                    I had let my plane set for 24 hrs with a shim under the middle of the outer flap of the trailing edge that was misaligned. I used the foam parts that protected the wing in the shipping box to support the sagging wing panel. This morning it looks like the EPO took a set and the misalignment is gone. I hope to fly again after work as the weather this afternoon is supposed to be perfect (62 deg, sunny, 4 mph wind).

Comment

• Placed my order with Callie last night for the last of the Putt Putt Maru decals, and working on the blue/yellow/red paint on the booms and tails. Should have it all completed by this coming weekend, just in time for the event at Apollo next weekend.
                      Pat

Comment

• Nice boys...Let's get some flight videos going soon, hint, hint... :)
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Nice thread. Very useful info and mods!

I spotted the FlightlineRC brand when MRC made the announcement and checked out the P-38 and thought it was a very cool looking plane, especially with the nice added details like the working doors, etc. I re-visited the website when Model Aviation Magazine featured it on the cover of the April 2016 issue.

I fly mainly giant-scale balsa and ply, and I am not really a fan of foam aircraft, but it seems that reading through this thread, that there is definitely some love going on here for this P-38. I am doing some strong rethinking about this foam plane.

I like the feel of flying higher wing-loading planes, and it looks like this one is about 26.6 oz/ft2, with a WCL of 13.1, which is pretty respectable for scale flying.

Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of the long roll out build for a new plane, and I think I would like to try one of these beauties.

Looking forward to more video and pilots flight comments. Thanks!

Nick

Comment

• Just did the forward rake mod on the nose gear. Relocating the gear door ball link to the other side of the mount worked great. Thanks for the tip TiredIron!
                            Pat

Comment

• Pat, your Putt Putt Maru's spinners really stand out to me. Well done on that masking job. Did you use flat rubber bands?
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha! All I did was cut a paper template that had the right curvature, then used that to cut the painter's tape. Very tedious, but worth the effort. It would not have been so bad had I not had to put like 10 coats of yellow on before it would finally cover.

Also, I'm using 3M "safe release" blue painter's tape. Seems to stick well for masking, but releases a little easier than the normal stuff. So far very little paint has pulled off.
                                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                  Thanks Alpha! All I did was cut a paper template that had the right curvature, then used that to cut the painter's tape. Very tedious, but worth the effort. It would not have been so bad had I not had to put like 10 coats of yellow on before it would finally cover.

Also, I'm using 3M "safe release" blue painter's tape. Seems to stick well for masking, but releases a little easier than the normal stuff. So far very little paint has pulled off.
                                  That's good to know because the spinners for "Thoughts of Midnight" have to have the spinner nose area painted OD. I ordered the spinners for the silver version because the red was already done........... :p

Comment

• Originally posted by nioa View Post
                                    Nice thread. Very useful info and mods!

I spotted the FlightlineRC brand when MRC made the announcement and checked out the P-38 and thought it was a very cool looking plane, especially with the nice added details like the working doors, etc. I re-visited the website when Model Aviation Magazine featured it on the cover of the April 2016 issue.

I fly mainly giant-scale balsa and ply, and I am not really a fan of foam aircraft, but it seems that reading through this thread, that there is definitely some love going on here for this P-38. I am doing some strong rethinking about this foam plane.

I like the feel of flying higher wing-loading planes, and it looks like this one is about 26.6 oz/ft2, with a WCL of 13.1, which is pretty respectable for scale flying.

Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of the long roll out build for a new plane, and I think I would like to try one of these beauties.

Looking forward to more video and pilots flight comments. Thanks!

Nick
                                    Hey, great to have you aboard Nioa! As you can see the boys are really jacked over this one, looks to be a real winner.
                                    Looking forward to hearing if you get one and what your impressions are.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Welcome nioa!

Come on in, the water's fine! :)

This would be a great model to get your feet wet. Quick build, great flyer, nice quality.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• [QUOTE=crxmanpat;n35719]Oops, forgot my pilot had more kills than everyone else, and I had to make his name stencil anyway. And of course, I had to make myself Crew Chief. ;)

Great idea crxmanpat!

One of the reasons I like the P-38 so much is because of my grandfather. He would tell me stories when he was in the Corps of Engineers and how they would feel safe when they saw our boys in the P-38s flying overhead. P-38 was his favorite airplane, and loved the myrtlewood P-38 I gave him.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130114_172805.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	762.2 KB
ID:	35849

He has sense passed on, but I'm thinking I might have some custom graphics done up for a tribute to him :)

Comment

• Mine finally arrived about an hour ago. My excitement was quickly dampened when the UPS guy handed me a bill for another $78.00CAN. Even the delivery guy was noticeably embarrassed. Having already paid UPS shipping of $78.49US at the time of order, needless to say, this additional amount was a bit of a turn off. This is by no means any negative feedback on MotionRC, just the reality of buying cross-border. (For other Canadian customers ............ note that the original purchase price of $349.00US + shipping amounted to a converted total of $618.31CAN, bringing this plane to a final cost of $696.49CAN. Just as an experiment and for comparison, I also purchased a Freewing 90mm "high speed" F-16 from RC Castle, which should arrive sometime tomorrow. That one is coming by air parcel post. OK, I won't dwell on this any further as I'll start a new thread after I get the F-16 as a comparison of the brokerage and miscellaneous fees for the 2 planes.)

Just managed to find some time to unwrap the main center wing section and the 2 outer wings and took some pictures. As you'll see in the pics, this so-called "alligator skin" is present on mine as well, however for me, this is not a big deal as I am more interested in how it flies and looks in the air. Nevertheless, I took an even closer picture of my Durafly P-40 for you to see the difference. As for the trailing edge of where the wing flaps meet up with the main wing section, on one side it was quite even but on the other side, there was a noticeable "step". Again, this doesn't mean much to me so long as it flies well and from all accounts, this slight misalignment doesn't affect flight characteristics much.
                                          I'll get to the build slowly in the next few days. I'm not nearly in as much rush or excitement as some of you fellas. The UPS guy took care of much of that.

P-38 wing:

Name:	wing (1024x768).jpg
Views:	582
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	35859

Durafly P-40 wing:

Name:	P-40 wing.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	35855