Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my flight today, I came in for a landing and I didn't even notice my port side gear was not down. I landed unceremoniously having no idea what happened until inspection. I cycled the gear a few times and it worked just fine. Luckily no real damage, just the plastic guard on the bottom of the port side tail scuffed up pretty good and just the tippy-tips of my port side props. I thought I recall some folks talking about this being an issue so I will need to go back in the thread and see if I can find what's going on.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      On my flight today, I came in for a landing and I didn't even notice my port side gear was not down. I landed unceremoniously having no idea what happened until inspection. I cycled the gear a few times and it worked just fine. Luckily no real damage, just the plastic guard on the bottom of the port side tail scuffed up pretty good and just the tippy-tips of my port side props. I thought I recall some folks talking about this being an issue so I will need to go back in the thread and see if I can find what's going on.
      Loosen the retract screws a little then put a dab of Foam-Tac on each screw head...I have started doing this on all my builds as well as putting a couple drops of transmission fluid on the retract internal screw.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Good advice, thanks!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Man that looks nice Lon, can't wait to see her assembled, which is probably what your're doing right now, if not flying of course. The wind is up here, so I'm doing what I always do in that case. Repair planes and hit the Squawk.
          Team Gross!

Comment

On my flight today, I came in for a landing and I didn't even notice my port side gear was not down. I landed unceremoniously having no idea what happened until inspection. I cycled the gear a few times and it worked just fine. Luckily no real damage, just the plastic guard on the bottom of the port side tail scuffed up pretty good and just the tippy-tips of my port side props. I thought I recall some folks talking about this being an issue so I will need to go back in the thread and see if I can find what's going on.
            Keep us posted if you you find that thread.
            Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Loosen the retract screws a little then put a dab of Foam-Tac on each screw head...I have started doing this on all my builds as well as putting a couple drops of transmission fluid on the retract internal screw.
              Just curious. Why trany fluid? Would silicone spray work as well? I suppose this is the same? http://superstitionhobbies.com/produ...-foam-glue-1oz. It's the only thing my one and only hobby shop carries.
              Bob Duncan

Comment

Hey Aros,

Several other folks on RCG have had this same problem. Apparently, the struts are bending backwards a tiny bit with each successive takeoff and landing. Eventually, the tire jams on the inside of the wheel well, and won't come down. The quick fix is to occasionally bend it back by hand in the field. Smooth field, rough field, greased landings or not, they eventually bend backwards. Sounds like something to check before every flight. Cycle the retracts, and if the tire is touching, it's time to tweak it forward a bit.

I'm not a big Horizon Hobby fan, but I did like their retract struts. They had that loop of coil spring in them, specifically to prevent them from bending backwards. Oleo struts are cool and scale looking, but the real force R/C retracts take is front to back when the tire hits a rock, gopher hole, or big weed on the runway...
                I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTRI View Post

Hey Aros,

Several other folks on RCG have had this same problem. Apparently, the struts are bending backwards a tiny bit with each successive takeoff and landing. Eventually, the tire jams on the inside of the wheel well, and won't come down. The quick fix is to occasionally bend it back by hand in the field. Smooth field, rough field, greased landings or not, they eventually bend backwards. Sounds like something to check before every flight. Cycle the retracts, and if the tire is touching, it's time to tweak it forward a bit.

I'm not a big Horizon Hobby fan, but I did like their retract struts. They had that loop of coil spring in them, specifically to prevent them from bending backwards. Oleo struts are cool and scale looking, but the real force R/C retracts take is front to back when the tire hits a rock, gopher hole, or big weed on the runway...
                  Thanks, that's precisely what the problem is. I will talk to Alpha to see if we can't get Freewing to offer up a solution as an upgrade or V2 part.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post

Just curious. Why trany fluid? Would silicone spray work as well? I suppose this is the same? http://superstitionhobbies.com/produ...-foam-glue-1oz. It's the only thing my one and only hobby shop carries.
                    Being a mechanic all my life there's been one constant...transmission fluid never dries and will never wash out. All you need is a couple drops on the screw (the one in the retract) and that will last a long, long time.
                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Good to know Tired Iron, hadn't thought of that and I had plenty of it, up to my arm pits sometimes, when I used to overhaul transmissions.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Aros, another thing to consider regarding the bent gear is to keep a few landing gear struts on hand assuming your using the stock struts. They are only 3.99 each and I think that ,over time, every time you straighten the strut it's going to just keep getting weaker. Also, straightening the strut while in place puts allot of undue stress on the foam around the plastic mount. You could remove it to straighten it and avoid the stress but I'm just lazy enough to replace it if the strut is out. You could even cycle them, replacing the bent one with a new one to get back in the air and fix the old one later. Just thinking out loud, Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                          Hey Aros, another thing to consider regarding the bent gear is to keep a few landing gear struts on hand assuming your using the stock struts. They are only 3.99 each and I think that ,over time, every time you straighten the strut it's going to just keep getting weaker. Also, straightening the strut while in place puts allot of undue stress on the foam around the plastic mount. You could remove it to straighten it and avoid the stress but I'm just lazy enough to replace it if the strut is out. You could even cycle them, replacing the bent one with a new one to get back in the air and fix the old one later. Just thinking out loud, Brad

We think alike on this..That's what i'm doing..have the spares along when i go to the field..if needed, do a little tweeking . When i've had to do a little bending. I'm taking the couple minutes to remove the retract and fix.
                          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Yep spares is the way to go...
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Being a mechanic all my life there's been one constant...transmission fluid never dries and will never wash out. All you need is a couple drops on the screw (the one in the retract) and that will last a long, long time.
                              What do you think about using gun oil? I've used it for years in my nitro's for "after run" and never had an issue.
                              Bob Duncan

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post

What do you think about using gun oil? I've used it for years in my nitro's for "after run" and never had an issue.
                                It's ok but will evaporate sooner.
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Hello All,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the OD version. One question though... The stock specs say that it comes with two 3748-600kv motors. Is that a typo??? For the life of me, I can't calculate 80mph with the 600kv spec on 4s, with 12x7x3 props. Can someone please confirm? Also, will 2x 4000 mAh 4s 40C Admirals fit in the battery bay?

Regards,

Airzipper
                                  Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

• Originally posted by Airzipper View Post
                                    Hello All,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the OD version. One question though... The stock specs say that it comes with two 3748-600kv motors. Is that a typo??? For the life of me, I can't calculate 80mph with the 600kv spec on 4s, with 12x7x3 props. Can someone please confirm? Also, will 2x 4000 mAh 4s 40C Admirals fit in the battery bay?

Regards,

Airzipper
                                    Yes it comes with the 600kv. Does it do 80?? I haven't tried to verify that with radar or anything else. I will say as far as power and speed it will run circles around a stock 1 400 mm war bird like my FW P -51.
                                    I fly mine with 2500 & 3600 Admirals. The 3600's are a tight fit.
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply Lon. I ask because ecalc insists that the 600kv setup on 12x7x3 prop produces a top speed of 50mph. Also, the "upgrade package" has an 880kv motor with a 12x8x2 prop, yet "claims" an increase from 80mph to 90mph+. It is odd to me that to increase 10mph you would need 200kv more and a higher pitch prop. I just wanted to verify that it was not a typo... I will go ahead and order.
                                      Last edited by Airzipper; Jul 12, 2016, 10:57 AM. Reason: Added text.
                                      Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

• Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                                        Thought you guys would enjoy P-38 photos taken today at the LA County Airshow. I'm planning to repaint my FlightlineRC as 23 Skidoo, should be fun!
                                        Same P-38 that flew in the last 2 Luke AFB, AZ airshows with the F-35 Lightning II.

Bob Duncan

Comment

• Anybody installed the MrRCSound v4.1 sound system on this bird? Ordering mine today with Multi Engine Sound Pack. Hope it comes with guns. Motion says I only need 1 card but you have to have 2 TT-25 transducers, for the stereo sound. You only need 1 multi engine sound pack and yes a 6 channel is fine if you just want the normal start up and shut down sound.
                                          Bob Duncan

Comment

Working...
                                          X