Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone who has this plane...I see the estimated build time listed is 3+ hours. Does that estimate include application of decals? Based on the video it doesn't seem like it would take nearly that long to put the plane itself together.

Comment

• RE: CNC suspended struts from RC Castle.
      I've just installed mine on my P-38. Two things that are noteworthy. The first is that if you are using the bigger tires on the mains (mine are the 1450mm P-51 tires), the axles are not quite long enough. You will have to shave off a bit of that rim on the wheel and dremel a small slant on the shaft end that the hex screw snugs up against to hold the axle on. Second is the nose gear. The cir-clip that they provide with the shaft that goes into the retract is so big that it won't nest between the 2 forks of the strut holder. The old cir-clip won't fit as the groove on the new one is too big. I had to cut the top length of the stock strut and grind a flat for the new strut to be secured. This is NOT a simple, direct replacement. However, now that it's all put together, I will be doing a test flight in the next few days. Will let you know how the plane handles on ground roll and landing.

Comment

• Originally posted by danloc78 View Post
        For anyone who has this plane...I see the estimated build time listed is 3+ hours. Does that estimate include application of decals? Based on the video it doesn't seem like it would take nearly that long to put the plane itself together.
        I've built two of them now....umm, I've got to take breaks it seems. Anyway, I'm not fast at assembly of planes. Very particular, check and recheck things(my def of slow:). Spinner and props, balance. I would say the 3 hours doesn't include decals, not the first time for sure. But the second plane, yes, total of 3 hours working on it and ready to go. One thing that was very easy and quick on the second one. Setting up the transmitter, just copied the model setup of the first one and boom! Transmitter ready to go.
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          RE: CNC suspended struts from RC Castle.
          I've just installed mine on my P-38. Two things that are noteworthy. The first is that if you are using the bigger tires on the mains (mine are the 1450mm P-51 tires), the axles are not quite long enough. You will have to shave off a bit of that rim on the wheel and dremel a small slant on the shaft end that the hex screw snugs up against to hold the axle on. Second is the nose gear. The cir-clip that they provide with the shaft that goes into the retract is so big that it won't nest between the 2 forks of the strut holder. The old cir-clip won't fit as the groove on the new one is too big. I had to cut the top length of the stock strut and grind a flat for the new strut to be secured. This is NOT a simple, direct replacement. However, now that it's all put together, I will be doing a test flight in the next few days. Will let you know how the plane handles on ground roll and landing.
          Thanks for the heads up XVIPER...Mine should be showing up anyday.
          Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Thanks for the heads up XVIPER...Mine should be showing up anyday.
            A poster on the other forum indicated that he used the new nose strut and just ground down the C-clip so it fit between the forks of the trunion. I felt that this would not leave enough material on the clip to be safe. I don't want my strut falling off after take off.

Comment

• Has anyone experienced during a cross-wind takeoff the plane as coming up to takeoff speed want to violently pitch into the wind (as if the tail
              is being pushed around)? Or in general has anyone experienced the plane veering to one side or the other during takeoff roll?
              I flew today and first flight now issue. It tracked straight down the runway takeoff into the wind. Second flight on a different set of batteries
              with a crosswind coming at a 45 from the right wing veered right on takeoff even with compensating with left rudder. Thanks

Comment

• All planes will have a tendency to weather vane into the wind at the point of liftoff, perhaps more rudder was needed as the plane lifted off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                  Has anyone experienced during a cross-wind takeoff the plane as coming up to takeoff speed want to violently pitch into the wind (as if the tail
                  is being pushed around)? Or in general has anyone experienced the plane veering to one side or the other during takeoff roll?
                  I flew today and first flight now issue. It tracked straight down the runway takeoff into the wind. Second flight on a different set of batteries
                  with a crosswind coming at a 45 from the right wing veered right on takeoff even with compensating with left rudder. Thanks
                  :) My experience is that if i'm taking off with a 8+ mph cross-wind, I'm VERY aggresive on the throttle powering up to takeoff and don't use flaps. What i believe that does, is get it past that time/situation, where the wind will swing the tail into the wind. Yes, I have experienced the same thing as you. But this is the technique i've found to power right thru it. She may turn into the wind some when she lifts off, but nothing alarming.
                  Lon

Comment

• Thanks guys. Today, the wind was definitely 8-10+ at a 45-55 degree to the runway on the 2nd flight. Next time I'll use your technique as opposed to doing the long slower takeoff roll and then compensate with some more rudder.

Comment

• "Scale" (ie, slow) take offs in cross winds don't work well. In such conditions, just "give 'er" and get that thing off the ground as quickly as possible. This doesn't apply to only this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post

I did a while back and its posted on RCG and HERE..... but here it is again
                        BM, can you post a couple pics of your sound board, RX and your integrated circuit module setup? I'm also considering getting the gun lights, but don't understand how they will install with the guns installed. Gonna try using a separate channel for motor ESC #2 with my 12 ch. RX. I hope to get separate motor start up with the sound system.
                        Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

I did a while back and its posted on RCG and HERE..... but here it is again
                          Can you post pics of your placement of the RX, sound board and IC module? I'm thinking the board might fit under the cockpit.
                          Bob Duncan

Comment

• The upgraded struts are in! They will show in stock shortly...

My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• SWEET! Got my notification set up so once they are in stock I can buy them.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post

Can you post pics of your placement of the RX, sound board and IC module? I'm thinking the board might fit under the cockpit.
                                I will try and do that later....already have some posted here, but not with the sound card installed....will add that later
                                Brandon Moon

Comment

• A little dissapointed that the new upgrade struts didn't Include
                                  the siscors on the mains, but still look nice in any case ;)
                                  Brandon Moon

Comment

• Way to get it done Aros! Nice to see Flightline responding to various "opportunities" like this. Also, I'm with you Brandon on the scissors. I think, since I've already got those P-40 struts on that do have the scissors, I'll just stay with them and just replace the nose gear if I can get another view of it. The picture shown on the site doesn't show what the offset part of the strut looks like. If that looks good then I'll probably order the set and just keep the mains as spares. Brad

Comment

I will try and do that later....already have some posted here, but not with the sound card installed....will add that later
                                      Thanks BM. I was wondering how others have theirs set up because I am using the 12 channel, Graupner GR-24 Pro RX with built in 3 axis gyro and it is limited as to how to install it. It has to be straight and at right angles to the longitudinal lines of the plane if I set the gyros, otherwise any position is good. I can mount it at 90º to the aft bulkhead tho and mount the sound board flat under the cockpit. Now I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to install the gun lights! :dodgy:
                                      Bob Duncan

Comment

• She's ready for the maiden. Weather for this weekend looks good.
                                        Lon

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                          One more time Brandon, I noticed that the connecting rod on the P-40 strut and the retract housing is offset. Presumably because there is no offset on the strut itself, So does that rod with the offset come with the strut or did you have to fab that ? And if so, what material did you use? Thanks Again
                                          I used the stock gear angled piece, cut it, and mounted it to the P-40 strut....I later went back and made a new set that was 5mm thick to fit the P40 strut better and drilled out the retract trunion to fit
                                          Brandon Moon

Comment

Working...
                                          X