Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do love warbirds and have not had issues with recent bh models offerings. I have the P-40, P-47, the retracts for the p40 are rotating and I have not have a single issue with them. I even bought extra sets for my skyshark p40 and use the tail retract for my other Corsair and other p40’s no issues. These that are included are junk amd should not be sold with this arf. Gear failures will happen and that means belly landings scrapes and other damages.

Comment

• A note on the Toprc Corsair, Ive flown one for a friend, super nice bird! Most folks who have had issues either overpowered the plane and do those cool high g yanks on the elevator. If you watch videos of the actual planes flying they are very graceful in turns, loops, barrel rolls etc, The yank and bank method will eventually bite you. The main point of stress on a Corsair (rc) is the gull part of the wing. The Phoenix 20cc Corsair is a perfect example, guys throwing 35’s in it, yank and bank and guess where the cracks are happening? The plane is not designed for the bigger engine, more torque etc.

Comment

• Maidened my Corsair today , non eventful. Saito 60cc radial engine, not ballistic power but plenty. Cg”d using the supplied cg tool, added 2,7 lbs perfectly level. She rolled and rolled out perfect, increased speed, tail lifted and up she went. No elevator trim was needed, only a few clicks of left aileron and she flew straight and true. My own full rates were super sensitive, used my own middle rates, still higher than stock but perfect for me. Got used to her, deployed 1st flap setting and no ballooning, slowed down nicely. Touched down and rolled out on mains then tail dropped on its own. I flew only 6 minutes and checked fuel level, barely noticeable, with the stock tank I could probably stay up for 4i0 minutes, but i never will. Success! Used my own retracts listed as the Corsair spares and they worked flawless. Working with motion to replace the faulty stock gear that this came with.

Comment

• Excellent news Predman !!

During our clubs July 4th Picnic - I flew two sorti's with similar wingspan Zero, P-47 and Corsair gassers.....each with a flight weight of near 30pounds. They are loud and proud and have no whims to fly in heavy weather winds, their flight times are usually 6-8minutes. I could keep up with them but at expense of flight time duration.....the winds would cause me to lift a wing in the up wind banks and force me to tighten up when trying to complete figure eights.....my landing speeds were half speed to thiers. Runway passes with the three of us hauling down the runway for display passes were thrilling but I was a bit shy to loop with them as thier Kinetic speed is much more prevelant on the way down from the top. It was evident for me to observe the weight of those beast require and carry speed much more than my electric set up.....I am sure if not for the depletion of battery reserve I would not have flown so timidly with them

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	381605​TwistedGrin

Comment

• GSWAM 4th of July picnic giant warbird ally

TwistedGrin
            Attached Files

Comment

• Beauties!
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• This model has become problematic.....I can't prevent myself from flying it excessively every day. The only model of this size (88inch) that comes close is the Hanger 9 Ki-43 Oscar which is a beast that lands like a butterfly with sore feet. I prefer the electric landing gear over pnuematic of the Oscar.....with the Oscar no longer in production the notion of damaging it is always in the back of my mind.....the BH Corsair parts are on line ready to go

TwistedGrin
                Attached Files

Comment

• TwistedGrin Pretty fricken sweet!

Comment

• 10 Flights on ol' firebird today....such an excellent flyer.....

TwistedGrin
                    Attached Files

Comment

• That's great to hear! She's a beaut!
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                        10 Flights on ol' firebird today....such an excellent flyer.....

TwistedGrin
                        That pik shows the incredible size of the bh corsair,, looks like its well sorted now... how much flight time u getting? Have been following a bit,, its electric? Awsome aircraft

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post

That pik shows the incredible size of the bh corsair,, looks like its well sorted now... how much flight time u getting? Have been following a bit,, its electric? Awsome aircraft
                          Yes Electric
                          Flight times at or near 6minutes....very smooth and powerful (140Watts Per Pound) Thrust. Take off and Landing with ease
                          Upgraded Main Retracts with Robart system

TwistedGrin
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Thanx twisted plenty speed their

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                              Thanx twisted plenty speed their
                              Yep but please take note.....I think this aircraft's inflight fire was caused by a LiPo flight battery failure.....possibly due to prop amp overloading.

After repairing the FireBall I propped down to an XOAR 22x12 which still has gobs of power....Wonderfully balanced and quiet performing R/C....I have standing offers to sell it each time I fly it.

Having said all of this - the fire melted everything...so a positive identification of exactly what caught fire first was not possible. Since I had full control of the burning bird in flight and after landing.....I am surmizing one of the two flight batteries had over heated and popped off.....either flew it too long or it got too hot from amp load....or Both !!

Respect the power train - Find the amp load and set up Prop-motor-ESC within electronics specification
                              Fly in your numbers - don't fly the LiPo down to the red zone (Below 3.7v per cell)
                              Check your Batteries - Always Balance Charge
                              Check your power connectors - look for arching or color disfiguration
                              Set up landing at projected 3.8v per cell
                              Ensure your field has fire extinguishers on hand
                              Pre inspect and Post inspect every flight

TwistedGrin
                              Attached Files

Comment

• what robart retracts did you use twistedgrin? any pics? yeh,phoenix/ blackhorse models should quit making retracts period, (maybe drop the retail price by $200 and could use that to buy good retracts. i own multiple phoenix warbird models and all need replacement in short matter. this is my first bh model but retracts look almost identical in build process. bending soft aluminum for side plates on retracts = junk/ and the elec motors fall apart. thanks for any help

Comment

• Originally posted by froghunter641 View Post
                                  what robart retracts did you use twistedgrin? any pics? yeh,phoenix/ blackhorse models should quit making retracts period, (maybe drop the retail price by $200 and could use that to buy good retracts. i own multiple phoenix warbird models and all need replacement in short matter. this is my first bh model but retracts look almost identical in build process. bending soft aluminum for side plates on retracts = junk/ and the elec motors fall apart. thanks for any help
                                  I stayed with the Electric Retract system
                                  *NOTE: The tailwheel does not need replacement and works with the Robart Controller
                                  **NOTE: The tailwheel may need to be reversed on the controller connection
                                  ***NOTE: The tailweel actuator three stage output screw may need lubricating, easily binds up when obstructed

Robart 148E 1/5th scale 90degree:

You will also need the retract controller board and extensions/connectors: 2s LiPo power
                                  Robart Retrax Electric Retract Control Unit Replacement Looking for a simplistic plug and play control unit for you Robart electric retracts?  System offers the following: Tri-gear controls AMP out technology Port to power your retracts with an auxiliary battery Includes a receiver jumper. Works with all Robart Generat

Locking Actuator Extensions For use with all Robart electric retracts SKU Length Quantity Retail 177E12S 12" Single 8.95 177E12 12" Pair 12.45 177E24S 24" Single 11.45 177E24 24" Pair 17.95 177E36S 36" Single 13.95 177E36 36" Pair 22.95   For disconnecting wings for transport, make it easier by getting 2 pairs of 12" e

30flights now on the Robart system - I did have two Robart retract actuators fail.....the replacements have about 25flights with zero issues

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Has anyone reinforced the wing? just watched one rip off right at the bend in a turn. I am currently building mine and considering glassing the bend from the inside.

Or open to other ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by kballard72 View Post
                                      Has anyone reinforced the wing? just watched one rip off right at the bend in a turn. I am currently building mine and considering glassing the bend from the inside.

Or open to other ideas.
                                      Wow - I have over 30flights on mine with no sign of fatigue....but I don't flogg it full blast 90degree vertical or 90degree full throttle bat turns either. Was this a gas powered engine on the failed wing bird? I still proffer the wings are up to task....as far as I know.....no other reports of wing failure in flight.

We do know that MotionRC has repair parts available....not much consolation for a totally destroyed aircraft though

TwistedGrin
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post

Wow - I have over 30flights on mine with no sign of fatigue....but I don't flogg it full blast 90degree vertical or 90degree full throttle bat turns either. Was this a gas powered engine on the failed wing bird? I still proffer the wings are up to task....as far as I know.....no other reports of wing failure in flight.

We do know that MotionRC has repair parts available....not much consolation for a totally destroyed aircraft though

TwistedGrin
                                        ​​​​​​We were equally surprised, it was right at the bend where the spar stops, maybe flight 10, experienced pilot.

Was coming out of a turn maybe a 45 bank into the wind.. Perhaps just the right (or wrong) amount of force in a low % failure scenario.

​​​​​​I am not dogging the product by any means. Halfway done with my assembly.. And true only so many Gs balsa can take.

My 120 for it came today, kidding.

Comment

• Yep never a good feeling learning about Airframe failures of any kind and any kit.....I have often wondered how these Corsairs of "All" kits last with the spar ending at the bend of the wing. Perhaps a 120 with a 6inch prop and rubber isolators on the motor mounts with a cinder block on the tail would indeed work well !!

TG

Comment

Working...
                                          X