Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Phoenix Corsair that I put the BH electric gear in that I purchased from MotionRC. The gear has held up well, but the controller is where I think the problem is. I did have some problems in the beginning and replaced the included controller with a JP ER-120 and they have worked well all this year. But no, they are probably not Robart or Sierra quality. I believe the 148's are a drop in fit with the third bolt hole missing.

Comment

• Hey,

Just looking for the size of the cowl inside. I want to put a 5-cylinder 360cc. Is it about the size of the Hanger 9 Corsair? Just trying to see which one is the best buy. I like the paint job because it's South Pacific. I can weather it without having to repaint it.

Thanks

Comment

• Received my BH corsair in good shape. I installed an avian 8075-230kv motor which was a little too long for the cowling but does not look bad with the "A" style prop nut I was able to get from tru-turn (Wendy there is a real pro). Still had to add 8 ounces of weight to get it balance out using a 160 amp esc by Phoenix and two 6s 5000 ma batteries. On the avian motor, the drawings are wrong in that the shaft on the motor is 10mm and not 8mm as shown. I had good luck getting the retracts installed and functioning OK with a little lubrication and a 3200ma 2s battery for power. Used the same 2s for the receiver and servos with a BEC. On the wingtips and nav lights, I used some stick on drone lights I found on Amazon that work well and required no wiring that way. They were only $16.99 and then I used mini magnets to hold on the light covers. I can only get about 4 minutes fly time with the 5000ma batteries, would have to go bigger I guess and see what happens to the CG. Flies nice, no gyro needed with this big bird.

Comment

• Good report jhlagesse....the flight times could be increased changing both to larger capacity LiPo and smaller prop perhaps.....the airframe can take the added weight as I am flying the GP60-180KV motor at 1240 grams via two 6s 8000mAh Lipo with 1lbs lead in the motor mounts.....I am flying at or near 22lbs for about 6minutes ....well - - was before it caught fire mid-flight.....So I am proping down to a smaller prop XOAR 22x12 from 24x12 and should get me a solid 6.5minute flight time. My repair maiden is pending this Spring

TwistedGrin

Comment

• I am using a 22x10 prop (APC) and I was amazed how quick the tailwheel lifted off the ground taking off...thanks for the advice. Your report on the fire was astonishing to read...very lucky to have the plane survive.

Comment

• can someone power test an avian 8075-230kv and tell me how many amps they draw at max throttle with a 22x10 prop?

Comment

• I have a question just recieved mine today. What do the 1st version gear look like and was there a second version of main gear? I’ve heard there was issues w the first version and changed them? Also on the gear there are 6-holes on the gear mounts in the wing, and yet there are only four holes on the gear? Gear shipped to me with the Corsair on the left, gear I ordered for the bh from motion for 50cc on the right. 2-different types of gear!
                Attached Files

Comment

• The BH stock electric retract housing and struts are fine but the actuator motors failed twice on me.....I replaced with Robart electric retracts to which one of those motor actuators failed.....replaced that motor with a Robart motor. All good. I think the BH Corsair predrilled retract mounts matched the Robart set.....but I do remember having to open up the holes of the retracts to match the mounting blind nuts size and thread.

If I see and read correctly it is interesting to see your replacement or "Second" set of parts ordered retracts are different.....the mounting holes appear the same pattern though!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Are all the new retracts have the new turn design like this one? This is a screenshot of the unboxing video motion did recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-13 142411.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	379680

Comment

• Originally posted by alsummer View Post

Are all the new retracts have the new turn design like this one? This is a screenshot of the unboxing video motion did recently.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-13 142411.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	379680
                      Thank you for clearing that up!

Comment

• I started working on mine finally as I finished my topflite GS Corsair kit. I did however did not like the stock cockpit that comes w the BH! I do appreciate and glad they do include it but it wasn’t going to work for me. So I 3d printed cockpit pieces to get it a little more scale(see pics) you can see my progress at RCDUDES
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Cockpit redone! 3d printed with a nicer detailed pilot! Now she looks great!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Cockpit redone! 3d printed with a nicer detailed pilot! Now she looks great!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Nice job!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I received my BH Corsair last week and started assembling it. The gears seem solid, I put a few drops of lub on the worm gears and using the provided controller operated them, seem to be doing ok. I personally like the weathering effects and overall build quality. For power, I am using a Saito 90R3.

I am not sure what this tray is for, I have attached an image of the tray. I also like to use a separate servo for the tail wheel steering, but don't see a place for it, I only see the rudder servo cut out in the equipment tray. Does anyone use a separate servo? If so where is the best place to put it
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by predman View Post
                                  Cockpit redone! 3d printed with a nicer detailed pilot! Now she looks great!
                                  Looking great! I have used these pilots on larger planes before that I think were really well done and make the cockpit look better, too. One small observation, for what it's worth. The parachute that this pilot comes with is a seat-type parachute. It looks like the parachute case is right behind his head, where it would be better if you pulled it down to where he is actually sitting on it in the pilot seat. The white parachute straps would be pretty taut or straight without being loose as they appear in the pictures. Totally up to you, but since you have worked so hard on the rest of the cockpit, if all you do is pull the parachute down so he is sitting on it, you'll be all set. I think even the manufacturer of this pilot figure made the straps too short to sit under his butt. My wife had to add some extra material to make it work right. That may be more work than you care to do.

I'll attach a couple period photos that show how these things were worn.

Again, nice job on your cockpit!

Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	379917Click image for larger version  Name:	cd97f371318eb1ae-large-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	379918

Comment

• Thanks! I did take out the foam that comes inside the chute, head pulled it down. Will need to alter so I can get it all the way down! Thank for the tip!

Comment

• Originally posted by predman View Post
                                      Thanks! I did take out the foam that comes inside the chute, head pulled it down. Will need to alter so I can get it all the way down! Thank for the tip!
                                      You bet, my pleasure! The manufacturers did a pretty good job on this pilot figure, great for 1/6 or 1/5 scale airplanes. Unless you really researched it, you couldn't know how the seat parachutes would look. That technology disappeared pretty much after WWII for more sophisticated parachutes and harnesses.

As you mentioned, you might need to pull some of the padding out of the parachute case if he sits too tall in the seat on top of his parachute pack. And, they made the straps too short at the manufacturer so it might not get quite so far so he can actually sit on it. But if you can pull it down so all his parachute straps are fairly straight, you'll have it pretty much as they looked on the real things back in the day.

I'll attach a pic of one of those pilots in 1/6 scale that I had in a P-47M gasser I flew in competitions several years ago. You can see that the parachute straps with the black stitching are fairly straight, and the other white strap you see is one of the shoulder harnesses for the seat belt system. Fortunately, my wife could do some modifications to make it just right to my tastes.

Happy flying!

Davegee

Name:	rexize - Copy.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	379921

Comment

• Reporting successful fire repair maiden of my BH Corsair....Robart landing gear retracts worked perfectly, all of the replicated replacement components worked as desired (180Kv GP160 motor, 160amp ESC, new switches, battery set up, Aura8 receiver stabilizer etc etc)

The XOAR 22x12PJN prop worked well although definately observed lower WOT top speed however as eCalc numbers project - Peak Amp loads and temperatures will remain within limits even at WOT....as opposed to the 24x12 that exceeded calculated loads at or near 90% throttle.

Really enjoy the size and presence of this airframe......responds very well to throttle inputs and lands super smooth. I took off for the first test flight, landed at 2min:30 seconds....adjusted some transmitter settings and took off again for some WOT passes and flap trimming, then landed again at 2min:30 seconds......all good.

Looking forward to flying this bird every chance I get.

Highly recommend this Blackhorse model......

I have a few seconds video of yesterdays flights but only available on our club Facebook page.
                                        Facebook: Greater Southwest Aero Modelers

Click image for larger version  Name:	06-17-23 Fire Re-maiden.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	379997

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                                          Reporting successful fire repair maiden of my BH Corsair....Robart landing gear retracts worked perfectly, all of the replicated replacement components worked as desired (180Kv GP160 motor, 160amp ESC, new switches, battery set up, Aura8 receiver stabilizer etc etc)...
                                          Glad fire repair worked out for you. Your posts have been very helpful as I am assembling mine. I have couple of questions:

1 - Does it require flap to elevator compensation? if so, up or down elevator?
                                          2 - Do you use any flap for take off?

Comment

Working...
                                          X