You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Nexa DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow 1870mm (73.6") Wingspan - Balsa ARF
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mastera.jpg
Views:	5615
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	253575

Product Availability: The estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this product is late-May, 2020. Please click the "Notify Me When Back In Stock" button above to receive an email notification when the product is available for purchase.

The De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter is a Canadian 19-passenger STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) utility aircraft. The aircraft’s unique blend of attributes have made it a successful cargo, regional passenger airliner and Medevac aircraft. The Twin Otter is flown by the United States Army Parachute Team and the United States Air Force’s 98th Flying Training Squadron, in addition to finding much success with commercial skydiving companies.

We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer-favorites and new, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points.

The Nexa DHC-6 Twin Otter is a .25 size electric scale series civilian utility aircraft with a 1870mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered in a Canadian yellow, red and black livery. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes two piece wing with aluminum wing joiner, fiberglass cowl and spinner. A large battery tray provides ample space for any size battery you require. An optional float set is available for snow or water-based operations (not included).

Visit the Official Product Page HERE

Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa DHC-6 Twin Otter comes fully covered in a vibrant and attractive yellow, red and black Canadian livery.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this Twin Otter including flaps, simulated panel lines and functional cabin doors.
    Large Battery Hatch

The battery hatch is not only easily accessible but expansive with ample space for your chosen battery and any peripheral electronics such as a gyro if desired.
    Optional Float Set Available

A set of optional floats is available and tailor-made for this model (not included).
    FEATURES:
    • High contrast and attractive yellow, red and black Canadian livery
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Two piece wing with aluminum wing joiner for easy transport
    • Large battery tray provides ample space for any size battery you require
    • Functional cabin door and well appointed throughout
    • Fiberglass cowling and spinner for strength and durability
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Optional floats available for snow or water-based operations (see below)
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow 1870mm (73.6") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels, spinner, hardware and decals
    REQUIRES:OPTIONAL:
    • DHC-6 Twin Otter float set - NXA-1004-118
    Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

It's good to see these come to Motion RC. My wife just finished her Nature Air version of this bird. We are still waiting for weather to improve to get the maiden done.

She went with the Flightline P-38 upgrade 880kv motors on 4S, turning APC 11x7 3-blade props, and Du-Bro 2" 3-blade spinners. She opted to run both motors CCW. She's using the ZTW 65A ESCs with Castle cap pacs soldered in. To make wing the hook-up simpler, she installed Electro-Dynamic 3 servo multi-connectors in each wing. Otherwise pretty much stock.

Are there many, or any differences between the VQ and Nexa branded versions? Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter2.jpg
Views:	4664
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	253696Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter1.jpg
Views:	4577
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	253695Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter6.jpg
Views:	4605
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	253694

Name:	Otter3.jpg
Views:	4603
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	253697

Comment

@Twowingtj Very nice! Yours looks nearly the same as mine, except mine uses the big, spongy tires from the HobbyKing Tundra and one of the stock mains as the nose tire. Alpha asked me how I powered mine in another thread. I'm using the same prop and motors from the Avios Albatross but with 80A ESCs.
      https://hobbyking.com/en_us/avios-al...___store=en_us
      850kv motors running on two 3000mah, 4s Graphenes. Props - counter rotating 10x6 3-blade. Even though my TO weighs over a kilo more than the Albatross, it doesn't have to overcome the friction of skidding along the ground to take off, it's got plenty of power to get up and go. In the air, the TO doesn't seem any slower than the Albatross.
      I would have gotten the Canadian version for sure if it was available from HobbyKing at the time. There's a company based in Victoria, Canada that still makes brand new Twin Otters today.
      I may have Callie Graphics make me up a couple of "Margueritaville" decals for mine.

Name:	IMG_3428.JPG
Views:	4482
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	253729

Comment

Looks good xviper. If the Nexa is as good or better than the VQ, it will be a good addition to the MRC line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
          Looks good xviper. If the Nexa is as good or better than the VQ, it will be a good addition to the MRC line-up.
          I have a feeling they are the same plane. The specs for wingspan for each is slightly different but I believe one or the other is a misprint. Next time I have mine put together, I'll take a measurement of the wingspan. As most people already know, the HobbyKing product was actually a "VQ Model". The HobbyKing product has been on "back order" almost forever and I doubt they will ever bring it back. VQ Warbirds also lists it but they too, are "out of stock" and I don't think they'll ever get it back either. Nevertheless, the Motion offering is an exceptional value and I have no doubt that it will be a quality item. If I ever sell mine or crash it, I'll buy this one. I'm so confident that this plane and ours are the same that I can say it'll fly pretty the same. I posted up a video in the HobbyKing Twin Otter thread if you want to see how it flies.
          https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...arf-nature-air

Comment

xviper Twowingtj Please help us spread the second paragraph I wrote in all these new Nexa threads:

"We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer-favorites and new, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points."

We have to start somewhere, with fan favorites from various quality sources, but this is just the framework. It takes time to put our spin on creations coming from new partners, but suffice to say that journey has begun. Black Horse, Freewing, Roban, Heng Long, are all examples of how, over time, we convey customer feedback to the factories and leverage changes people prize. What we hope people do is see where we're engaging across the spectrum of the RC industry and then post as much feedback, experience, requests, interest, suggestions, as they can in these discussion threads in the context of those products, partners, projects, and ideas.

In time, in hindsight, it will be clear that when I've been saying "Something for everyone" for years now, we weren't kidding.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

It's a very good start (or rather, "progression"). You've taken a step in the right direction towards becoming a hobby shop for everyone.

Comment

Alpha the new Nexa line will be a welcome addition to the MRC product lineup. Starting with fan favorites makes sense while the new designs are developed.

Exciting times indeed.

Comment

xviper, I am looking to get the same model for my birthday. How long can you fly with the 4000mAh beteries and 850kv motors?

Comment

I'm very happy to see this model coming to the MotionRC lineup, I have had my eye on this DHC-6 for a while! Thanks Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by rcaf03 View Post
                      xviper, I am looking to get the same model for my birthday. How long can you fly with the 4000mAh beteries and 850kv motors?
                      With 2 X 3000mah, 4s Graphenes (equivalent to about 3500+ mah "regular" LiPos), I can fly for about 8 minutes (mixed throttle) and land with about 3.7v/cell.

Comment

"2x 85 Amp brushless ESCs - we recommend TWO of the ZTW Mantis 45A ESC with 5A SBEC"

So which is it - 2 85 amp or 2 45 amp?? (note the underlines)

Comment

bkjohns Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

The choice of ESC is really dependent on what motors you plan to run. If you were to run the Admiral GP2 3520 950kv motors mentioned in the listing, you could go with the ZTW 45A ESCs. The burst rating for the motors is 42A and the burst rating for the 45A ESCs are 65A. The burst power rating is for about 10 seconds.

It's often a good idea to have a little more margin between the upper limit of the motor and the ESC.

It looks like the 85A referenced is a carry over from a cut and past when creating the listing.

Comment

Sure would be nice to see some videos of this plane especially using a 3 cell on such a big plane.
                            My YouTube Channel

Comment

Here ya go... Not my video or plane. I just found it on YouTube. 3 cell flight Looks pretty good!
                              Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

Thanks, I have not seen that one.
                                My YouTube Channel

Comment

That looked pretty good on 3S. They are using 1250kv motors, so total rpm is still up there.

Comment

Anyone planning on running 4s 4000 batteries in this plane? Looks like the Admiral motors and the ZTW Mantis will support it.
                                    My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by jobinseattle View Post
                                      Anyone planning on running 4s 4000 batteries in this plane? Looks like the Admiral motors and the ZTW Mantis will support it.
                                      As this is the same plane as the VQ Twin Otter "Nature Air" version, it's been done. I use 2 Graphenes, which are about the same size and weight as non-graphene 4000, 4s. I stack them one on top of the other "longitudinally", but staggered. In order to balance the plane, one has to be slid underneath the pilot seat, leaving about 2/3rds of it sticking out behind the seat. The second battery goes on top (with some non-slip matting in between) and the rear of it hangs past the end of the bottom battery. A fairly long velcro is needed to hold it in place. Depending on how you built yours and the motors and ESCs you use, you may be able to use a single large 4s battery or put the two 4000's side by side with a bit tucked under the seat.

Name:	HobbyKing (VQ) Twin Otter_Moment(3).jpg
Views:	4352
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	254658

Comment

According to Motion RC their version uses only one battery. I even sent them a message and they confirmed it.
                                        My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                        X