P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1870mm DHC-6 Twin Otter Canadian Yellow (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting on this bird. Went to get one after I crashed my He111. I believe the components will work in this aircraft so it will not cost much to build. I will most likely get the floats too. I really enjoy flying my eflight twin otter and find it enjoyable. This seems a bit bigger and I like the look of it. Hope it is in stock soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
      This seems a bit bigger
      It’s a LOT bigger.

Comment

I am still waiting for these to be back in stock.

Comment

They are back in stock!!!! The wait is over!!!!

Comment

YES! I just got one.

Comment

It was a long wait but you'll find that it was worth it.
              Mine is in winter mode but I'll be modding it for even bigger main wheels. As a recap, I've installed one of the stock main wheels in the nose position and used a pair of HobbyKing Tundra wheels for the mains. I got a pair of Grand Tundra wheels and those will go on for the mains. I'll need to make some brass inserts for the wheel axle centers. Rather than going with skis or floats, I've elected to go for really big wheels for snow/ice operations.

Comment

I ordered the plane and the floats for it.

Comment

What is your flying weight on you birds?

Comment

I have no idea. I've never weighed it. Next chance I get, I'll take a scale down to the hobby room and give it a go.

Comment

Bum deal. I was going to use my flightline fw190 system on this but I think the prop shaft is an issue.
                      Maybe not. It seem dimensionally they are the same as the admirals. just need to see if a dubro spinner back plate can fit to the prop shaft.
                      What size are the spinners on this aircraft?

Comment

We would LOVE to keep these in stock but we got hammered with a perfect trifecta of a balsa shortage, multiple 3+ month factory shutdowns for Covid, and 3 month ocean freight shipping. I'm glad it is back! I need to pick one up for myself.

Comment

Bum deal. I was going to use my flightline fw190 system on this but I think the prop shaft is an issue.
                          Maybe not. It seem dimensionally they are the same as the admirals. just need to see if a dubro spinner back plate can fit to the prop shaft.
                          What size are the spinners on this aircraft?
                          Something to consider .................................. Whatever backing plate you choose to use, does not have to seat itself over that square base. Adjust the standoff so that the motor sits further into the engine cowl and just have the backing plate sit flush on top of the square thing. I've done that on certain applications and it has worked. To ensure that the backing, prop and spinner assembly doesn't slip when the motor turns it, just use some FoamTac on the surface of the square base, then some FoamTac on the other side of the backing plate where the back of the prop center meets and again a bit of FoamTac on the prop shaft threads where the nut finally rests when cinched down to the prop. FoamTac will hold it all together but if the time comes to remove the prop, it will still let go.
                          What spinners you use is up to you. I didn't use one that incorporated a backing plate. I used something off a HobbyKing Albatross. The prop just goes straight onto the prop shaft, then a cone goes over that to lock it all down.

Here's a vid of mine from a couple of years ago. It looks exactly the same today. It was a gloomy day so the lighting was bad but you can see the props and cones I use at the beginning and at the end of the video.

Comment

What is your flying weight on you birds?
                            The total flying weight (including 2 X 3000mah, 4s Graphenes) is 3900g.

Comment

The system I have will be more than enough I think. Even for floats. Run 10x6x3 props. Fun times to be had with all the new aircraft.

Comment

I'm looking hard at this plane and am considering trying out Spectrum's new Dual Avian Esc. Basically one esc brick for twin engines.

The problem is, it is 40amp and Motion is recommending 45A escs. What are the real world Amps you guys are pulling with 3 blades?

Comment

Gilatrout My wife loves flying hers. She has the Nature Air version. Same plane, just different scheme. A rock solid flyer. Both of her motors are turning CCW with no tendency to pull left on take-off or during flight. It does like to land with flaps.

She's running APC 11x7x3 props on 4S and pulls around 40a - 43a WOT static. Full throttle is rarely needed, except during big loops etc.

She went with APC props because MAS prop hubs were too thick for the prop shaft/DuBro 2" three-blade spinner backplates. APCs are more efficient anyway. They look decent on this plane too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Otter6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	332585Click image for larger version  Name:	Otter3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	332586

Comment

Good to know about the props as I was looking at MAS ones.

Comment

6 servos total in this aircaft?

Comment

6 servos total in this aircaft?
                                        Roger that. Unless you want the nose wheel steering on a separate servo. Some people like that for better trim adjustments but it's not really necessary on this plane. The stock steering for nose gear and rudder works well.

Comment

• Ordered mine. I'm going to see what the B24 props look like and how much they draw on the recommended motors. I'll probably run standard Avian ESCs to get the sweet sweet thrust reversing bling bling when she's on floats. Id would have liked to play with their new dual ESC, but it doesn't look like it is rated for the amps this plane will draw.
                                          I may have to replace the strut on the nose gear depending on what the scale monkey on my back will tolerate.

Looking forward to working on this while I wait for the PJ ahem Gulfstream to ship.

Comment

Working...
                                          X