Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TJ, I'm disappointed that you're not gonna put your better half's Ju-52 on floats. :-)

I'm quite far into the assembly of my Luftwaffe Tante Ju. The assembly has been very easy. The printed corrugations on the covering are fantastic. When I first opened the box, I had to take a double take, because at first sight, I thought that the the corrugations were real. The only thing that I haven't liked has been the assembly of the split elevator. A piece of U-bent piano wire is used to connect the elevator halves. You have to drill the holes in each elevator half for the U Wire. The fiber hings are already glued into the elevator. The ends of the U Wire needed to go right where the hinges are. By offsetting the U Wire and finessing it a bit, I was able to get it attached, with both halves of teh elevator ALMOST being level. I was cursing through most of that work, mad that each elevator didn't have it's own servo. Then, after I'd gotten the H Stab and Elevator fully installed, and went to install the servo, I discovered that there was actually a mirror cutout for a servo on the other side of the fuselage, and I could've done individual servos, after all. <cursing, again>. I managed to get the elevator halves aligned closely enough that I didn't want to cutout hinges and cutout the U Wire. So, I've left it as one elevator running the split elevator. If I would've realized that two servos were an option, I woud've gone that route. If you've got the channels available and aren't worried about the extra tail weight of an extra servo, I'd suggest that you seriously consider doing dual servos for the split elevators.

Wings are fully assembled (less the motors) and rudder and elevator are assembled.

Oh, one other suprise...
    I'm using EMax ES9256HV servos (19g Micros, 48 in*oz (3.5 kgf*cm) torque at 7.4v), I know that these servos are overkill for this application, but my LHS store owner made me a deal on them that I couldn't pass up). The servos were almost too tall for the aileron slot (the bottom of the servo is pressing against the top covering (no sheeting in this location)). The real surprise, though, was that the servo slots for the rudder and elevator servos are too long for these servos. I had to cut a piece of light ply, to tighten up the slot. It works though.

Photo below shows the U Bend Piano Wire, offset to fit around the fiber hinges in the elevator.

Photo below shows the piece of lite ply that I cut and Sharpied black to over the end of the gap in the elevator servo slow. Had to do the same for the rudder servo on the other side.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Rmawer View Post
      Love this plane. I have an old Hobby King one that I've tried to fly twice (and crashed twice - its a horrible flyer as I've come to learn). Needless to say, when I saw this, its added to a gotta have list. Looking over the specs and checking inventories, seems the motors and ESC's are out of stock (everywhere). Anyone know what the motor can diameter limit is for this plane? I have three 3536 (35mm dia, 36mm long) motors from another project. Any idea what the limit is inside the cowls?
      Rmawer Welcome to the Squawk. As mentioned earlier to Oxotnik back on post #8, I used Hobby King NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1000kV motors.
      You should not have an issue using those 3536 motors because the cowls are approx. 3 inch diameter.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Charlie, did you feel like you had enough power with the NTM 2836-1000kv motors? I'm kinda liking the idea of larger motors, if they'll fit. You can always throttle down, but can never throttle up, if 'throttle up' is not an option. LOL

Motion seems to be advocating running three 3S batteries. I've got several 3S-5AH batteries that I run in my 1.8m B-17, and now that I think about it, I've also got four 3S-8AH batts that I run in my Do-335 (paired in serial, for 6S voltage). So, I'm planning to run use them. I'd much rather all motors see the same voltage, rather than dedicating individual batteries to individual motors. I'm also planning to setup up differential thrust for the two outboards. Probably don't need it, but, hell, I have 16 channels. There's no reason not to use them all. LOL
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
          Charlie, did you feel like you had enough power with the NTM 2836-1000kv motors? I'm kinda liking the idea of larger motors, if they'll fit. You can always throttle down, but can never throttle up, if 'throttle up' is not an option. LOL

Motion seems to be advocating running three 3S batteries. I've got several 3S-5AH batteries that I run in my 1.8m B-17, and now that I think about it, I've also got four 3S-8AH batts that I run in my Do-335 (paired in serial, for 6S voltage). So, I'm planning to run use them. I'd much rather all motors see the same voltage, rather than dedicating individual batteries to individual motors. I'm also planning to setup up differential thrust for the two outboards. Probably don't need it, but, hell, I have 16 channels. There's no reason not to use them all. LOL
          Oxotnik Chuck...…….Look at that first pic I posted of the full flaps show pass and tell me I didn't have adequate power available.
          You must have missed where I said those NTM motors were using 4S power which was one 4000mAh brick to the 3 ESC's in parallel.
          What ever Motion advocates for power I hope is predicated on fact based flight info (lets see the video) but I'm a little skeptical of their power recommendations.
          My experience has shown and the historical power data equations confirms that the 9-10 inch diameter props need to operate in the 14-15K rpm range.
          My setup was running 14,800 RPM max (3.7v x 4S x 1000kV)
          The recommendation of Motions with a 9 inch prop on a 950kV motor on 3S puts the RPM's at 10,545.
          The range of 9-11K rpm is actually the range for a 14" 3 blade prop on 6S 460kV motor like my FMS Tigercat (10,212 rpm) or the FMS P-40B 14" 3 blade prop on 4S 650kV motor (9,620 rpm)
          Doing the numbers through eCalc to see what it calls for is most likely your best bet here to determine 3S power capability/usability.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Oh, yeah, I'd seen that the NTM 2836 would run on 4S, but had still been thinking 3S for some reason. I'll definitely go 4S. I've got even more large 4S batteries than 3S. The motors arrived yesterday. I'll put them on the bench to do some wattmeter and tach tests before installing them into the Trimotor.
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

Well, I ran into a snag, assembling my VQ Tante Ju. Last night, I went to install the struts and discovered that the piano wire strut supports (3 pieces) are missing. The spring-loaded struts are included, but the piano-wire supports are not. Contacted VQ, and hopefully, they'll send me the missing strut supports. VQ isn't very big on replacement parts; so, hopefully getting these pieces won't be a problem. Having to bend my own would be quite difficult, due to the gauge of the wire and the angles involved. These strut supports are needed to set the front-to-back position of the wheels. They're integral to the struts, not just for aesthetics. Otherwise, my Ju-52 is about 90% assembled.
              ---
              Warbirder

Comment

Nexa Ju-52 delivered. My wife is delighted with it. It's packed well and nothing was out of sorts. The elevator hinges are Not glued to the horizontal stab, so the "U" wire installation should be much easier. Motion also included Lufthansa emblems for the tail, extra covering and likely more as yet to be discovered improvements. Well done Motion RC!

Comment

Tony, glad that your wife has received her Trimotor. I'll be very interested to find out the improvements that have been made in the Nexa Ju-52. BTW, my VQ Ju-52 also had sheets of extra covering included. If I had my elevator to do all over again, I'd give each elevator half its own servo and not use the U Wire. The decal set for my VQ Splinter Camo included that tail swastika (thankfully), with a warning not to apply it if living in Germany. I'm glad that they did it that way, instead of not including a tail insignia at all.

Oh, and I heard back from VQ-Texas, and they're sending me the gear components that were missing from the box. So, hopefully, I'll have my Tante Ju in the air, a week from tomorrow.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Rmawer Welcome to the Squawk. As mentioned earlier to Oxotnik back on post #8, I used Hobby King NTM Prop Drive 28-36 1000kV motors.
                    You should not have an issue using those 3536 motors because the cowls are approx. 3 inch diameter.
                    Thanks for the response. Mine is due to arrive on the 28th

Comment

Oxotnik Another possible change from the VQ version. In the pics on VQ, it looks like the rudder servo is mounted inside the fuse near the middle and uses push rods to both the rudder and tail wheel. On the Nexa, the rudder servo is in the tail, across from the elevator servo. A pushrod goes to the rudder and the tail wheel has a tiller arm that is attached to the bottom of the rudder. Also glad that VQ got your gear parts for you.

A question to those that have had the Ju: it looks like the oleo strut attaches to the bottom of each wing with a connector and wheel collar. I'm assuming, if you have to remove the wings for transport, that you have to connect and disconnect the oleo each time? Doesn't seem like there's any other choice.

Rmawer Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

Comment

Twowingtj Tony...…..there has been no changes from the VQ to Nexa control surface servo placements.
                        Mine had both the ELE and RUD servos in the tail and it is also shown at step 18 in the manual which I'll wager your manual is exactly the same as what I have that is 5 years old.
                        Venture to say that the pics on the VQ website you mention are way past due for updating.
                        As a matter of pic reference the first one shown on this thread and the product page show the fuselage profile without any servos in the tail which would lead one to
                        believe that the servos are in the normal central fuse location.
                        Its is still just a VQ bird with a different brand labeling and if I'm wrong I'll acknowledge to all and especially Alpha my verbal misstep.

To your strut question, you are correct. If you want to remove wing you have no other choice but to disconnect the oleo from the wing.
                        It really is a simple matter of removing a 3mm collar where the configuration of the gear assemble is shown on step 15 in the manual.
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

OV10 Thanks Charlie. All I had for comparison was the pics on the VQ Warbirds' website.

Comment

Tony, like Charlie has said, the elevator and rudder servos on my VQ Splinter Camo are mounted under the H Stab. Photos showing the servos mounted inside the fuselage are out of date.

Sounds like your wife is really excited to have her Ju-52.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

She is Chuck. To her, it's better than flowers.

Comment

Tower Hobbies has the Phoenix 91" A-26 back in stock. My wfie gave me permission to get a replacement, for the one that I trashed several months ago. She wasn't real happy when I got the first one (and she has no idea that that $400 ARF is really a $1200 airplance, LOL), but she felt sorry for me, when I trashed it. My wife supports my hobby, as long as it doesn't get in the way of doing/buying the things that we want and need to do. Supportive spouses are a definite plus. We're lucky to have them!!!
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

Oxotnik we are lucky indeed.

Comment

TwoWingTony and I have been PM'ing about pilot figures for the Ju-52. I'd been grimmacing that the Ju-52 didn't have a pilot or co-pilot. THen, I'd remembered that I'd picked up a BoB Bf-109 pilot figure several years ago and had it sitting on bookshelf, that would probably be the right size for the Ju-52. And, it is. 1/18 scale, just like the Ju-52. Perfect size. These are Ultimate Soldier figures (1/18 scale) and can be found on eBay. Prices are all over the map though.

BoB Bf-109 pilot. The life vest is wrong for the Ju-52, but i'd probably be the only person at my field who noticed. LOL. I guess if I got called out, I could claim that the Ju-52 was flying across the Med to Afrika.

Stuka Tail Gunner. Repaint his jacket to be black leather, and I think he'll look great as a Ju-52 pilot or co-pilot.

This one is a Panzer Officer. If I chopped him off at the waist, I would probably the only person who noticed that he wasn't Luftwaffe. I kinda like the officer's hat and headset. I'm thinking that this one will be the left seater.
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

New to squawk. Always enjoyed the JU52's history and look so I'm now the proud owner of the Motion Nexa. Doesnt seem to be any recommended motors available until June. The Flightlines they recommend are probably renamed Turnigy ?? Amazon carries these but are out as well. So I guess I wait. Everything came well packed and no damage that I can see. Looking forward to the build and learning what I can from this group.

Comment

airotroy, Welcome to The Squawk, and the Ju-52 thread.

I've installed the HK NTM 2836-1000 motors that Charlie recommended and plan to fly them on 4S. As has been said in previous posts, the cowlings are pretty big (diametrically speaking) and could take fatter motors. You probably don't want to go much longer than 28mm though, unless you totally throw out the fake plastic motor.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

airotroy Welcome to Hobby Squawk.

My wife is also using the HK NTM 2836-1000kv motors that OV10 and Oxotnik are using. And at around $19 each, reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
                                          X