Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Have the HK prop drive 28-36 1000's on order along with the Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack that was also recommended. Charley also recommended the Master Air Screw 9x7 3blade props. What ESC's would you guys recommend for this setup and being new to multi motor setups how do you wire the 3 esc's in parallel so one 4S battery can be used ? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by airotroy View Post
      Thanks. Have the HK prop drive 28-36 1000's on order along with the Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack that was also recommended. Charley also recommended the Master Air Screw 9x7 3blade props. What ESC's would you guys recommend for this setup and being new to multi motor setups how do you wire the 3 esc's in parallel so one 4S battery can be used ? Thanks in advance.
      airotroy As Chuck and Tony have both said, welcome to the Squawk family.
      Regarding ESC recommendations, I didn't have the size written down in my manual which is highly out of sorts for me but I seem to remember that I was using some Detrum(Dynam) 30A ones.
      If I were to make a recommendation four plus years later I would go with something like the 30A FlightLine ones being used on the B-24/OV-10.

30A ESC from FlightLine - 064D002001 This ESC is used on the following aircraft: Flightline 2000mm B-24 (inboard motors) Flightline 1400mm OV-10

Now these ESC's are OPTO which require a separate UBEC wired into the power source which is ALWAYS a good practice on more than one motor systems.
      Regarding parallel wiring for the ESC's it is pretty much a straight forward matter of connecting all three of the red (+ positive) leads together into a battery connector and the same for the black (- negative) leads.
      You could make a single plug adapter with the UBEC as part of the setup by using the B-24's power connector as an example whereas instead of two motors you would make it for 3.
      Happy soldering
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I grabbed three 40A ESCs for the 64mm Freewing Stinger. I'm going to be running my RX power bus directly from a 2S LiPo battery; so, I've disconnected the Red Wire from all three ESCs.
        https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...-64-hp-40a-esc
        I've mounted all three ESCs in the battery compartment and have made up 3-phase motor-wire extensions, to run from the fuselage to the outboard motors.
        I mounted the ESCs on the sides of the battery bay (2 on one side, the third on the other side). Also, I soldered up a 3-ESC-to-one-battery harness. My servos are high-voltage, and can handle 8.4vdc; so, I’m connecting 2S LiPo directly to the RX. HV Servos and a dedicated 2S RX battery are a bit of overkill for the Ju, but I’ve gotten in the habit of doing that for my larger, more complex, and expensive planes (such as my Black Horse Do-335 and Phoenix A-26), and decided to stay with that architecture/philosophy for the Tante Ju.

I've been out of town all week, and just got home a couple of hours ago. I was expecting to see the replacement landing struts (which were missing from my box), but they weren't. Contacted VQ, and my struts had fallen through the cracks. They're in the mail now, but I, obviously, won't be flying my Ju this weekend. :-/

But, on a happier note, my replacement 91" Phoenix A-26 was sitting on my front porch (must've been delivered last night, after my friend had done a pups and mail check for me). So, I'll start working on getting an A-26 back in the air. :-)
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

Well, I’ve joined the ranks of owning a Nexa JU-52. I’ve always been fascinated with this plane and when I saw Motion started selling it, it was a gotta have. Started assembling it and immediately ran into an issue. The mfr or whoever packed the kit, packed two left hand motor mounts. For the first time I was grateful for cheap glue joints as I was able to break the joints and reverse the offending vertical portion. Anyone else run into a similar issue?

Now here’s the funny part. I’d already installed the left mount before installing the right one which is where I discovered the issue. According to Murphy’s 50/90 law, if you have a 50/50 chance chance of installing the wrong part, there is 90% chance you will pick the wrong one. Fortunately Murphy was asleep when I did this !!!

Thanks to all for the previous posts as it gives me ideas of what to watch out for.

Comment

Rmawer, welcome to The Squawk and, more importantly, to the group of enlightened Tante Ju owners. :-)
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Rmawer View Post
              Well, I’ve joined the ranks of owning a Nexa JU-52. I’ve always been fascinated with this plane and when I saw Motion started selling it, it was a gotta have. Started assembling it and immediately ran into an issue. The mfr or whoever packed the kit, packed two left hand motor mounts. For the first time I was grateful for cheap glue joints as I was able to break the joints and reverse the offending vertical portion. Anyone else run into a similar issue?

Now here’s the funny part. I’d already installed the left mount before installing the right one which is where I discovered the issue. According to Murphy’s 50/90 law, if you have a 50/50 chance chance of installing the wrong part, there is 90% chance you will pick the wrong one. Fortunately Murphy was asleep when I did this !!!

Thanks to all for the previous posts as it gives me ideas of what to watch out for.
              I'v yet to start on mine as I'm still waiting parts. Coming from China this may be a life long project - but I did check the motor mounts and they appear to be correct. I can screw enough up without Murphy but sorry for your issue. Keep us updated on your progress. Lots of good help here I'v found.

Comment

Well you musta sent Murphy over here. I just glanced at those motor mounts before and was sure they were right. BUT - I got two lefties also. That means someones running around with two righties. Oh well, like you all I did was reverse the vertical piece after fighting the glue. Sigh

Comment

Well you musta sent Murphy over here. I just glanced at those motor mounts before and was sure they were right. BUT - I got two lefties also. That means someones running around with two righties. Oh well, like you all I did was reverse the vertical piece after fighting the glue. Sigh
                  Well, Murphy struck. again. No nylon straps for the Landing gear attachment, both antennas are missing, and horn supplied with the tail wheel doesn’t match the instructions. In fact, it’s the typical horn you use on the vertical pushrods for ailerons. I’ve already contacted Motion about this. First Nexa Model I’ve owned. Not impressed so far.

One minor item. Cut away the film for the rudder. NOTE - the slot is MUCH longer than the actual rudder. Now I’ve got to put a wood filler to fill the gap

BTW - motion actually contacted me regarding the screwed up motor mount. They said they checked stock and I must have gotten a bad one. I’d recommend you submit a problem report so they know I’m not the only one who got a bad one.

Comment

The struts to my Ju arrived today, and they’ve been installed. My Tante Ju is now fully operational. The 1/18 Ultimate Soldier pilots have turned out well. I out a tank commander in the left seat (I liked the service cap and earphones) and I put the Stuka tail gunner on n the right seat (painted his white coat Luftwaffe blue-grey).

---
                    Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Rmawer View Post

Well, Murphy struck. again. No nylon straps for the Landing gear attachment, both antennas are missing, and horn supplied with the tail wheel doesn’t match the instructions. In fact, it’s the typical horn you use on the vertical pushrods for ailerons. I’ve already contacted Motion about this. First Nexa Model I’ve owned. Not impressed so far.

One minor item. Cut away the film for the rudder. NOTE - the slot is MUCH longer than the actual rudder. Now I’ve got to put a wood filler to fill the gap

BTW - motion actually contacted me regarding the screwed up motor mount. They said they checked stock and I must have gotten a bad one. I’d recommend you submit a problem report so they know I’m not the only one who got a bad one.
                      Like you I have no nylon straps or antennas but have the right horn for tail wheel. Sent Motion a notice with problems. They've always been good about taking care of issues so we'll see. Havnt looked at rudder slot yet but would guess I'll have the same issue.

Comment

Like you I have no nylon straps or antennas but have the right horn for tail wheel. Sent Motion a notice with problems. They've always been good about taking care of issues so we'll see. Haven't looked at rudder slot yet but would guess I'll have the same issue.
                        Have to agree. I've been buying from Motion for several years on and off and they have always bent over backwards to make good on things. Submitted a trouble ticket yesterday and already got a response that they are sending out the replacements. Love this plane; cant wait to get it in the air.

For the rudder slot, I'd recommend laying the rudder on its side, aligning the rudder edge with the raised step on the fuse then stop the film trimming at the front edge of the rudder.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                          The struts to my Ju arrived today, and they’ve been installed. My Tante Ju is now fully operational. The 1/18 Ultimate Soldier pilots have turned out well. I out a tank commander in the left seat (I liked the service cap and earphones) and I put the Stuka tail gunner on n the right seat (painted his white coat Luftwaffe blue-grey).

Very nice.

Comment

My wife's Ju is missing the nylon gear straps and the right tail wheel tiller horn as well. I don't believe that the Lufthansa version is supposed to have the antennas.

Contacted Motion CS about the straps. Du-Bro replacement straps already shipped. Now that's great product support.

Oxotnik Those pilots look great!

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                              My wife's Ju is missing the nylon gear straps and the right tail wheel tiller horn as well. I don't believe that the Lufthansa version is supposed to have the antennas.

Contacted Motion CS about the straps. Du-Bro replacement straps already shipped. Now that's great product support.

Oxotnik Those pilots look great!
                              Motion is working on my parts; responded in less than 24 hours. We shall see if the antennas are part of it. Thanks for the advice on the antennas. Now, to find 1/18 scale civilian pilots for my JU-52

Comment

Got mine built, I too had issues with missing landing gear straps and antennas. Fixed the straps by cutting a large tie wrap to the correct lengths and drilling the holes in the nylon tie wrap sections. All flight controls are set and working fine. But I do have a small problem. The recommended motors are currently unavailable, but I do have others. My problem is that the shafts exit the motor on the motor mount end not the front side and cannot be changed. Has anyone else used this configuration? If so would you please provide pics of the mounted motor(s)?

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! Glad you are here!!! Jerry

Comment

Maidened my Ju-52 today. It flew very nicely. It was a bit squirrely on the ground; it took me several attempts to get her running straight enough to take off. She flew really well. I love the sound of the 3 motors running.

---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

Oxotnik Congrats on the maiden Chuck. It boogies right along doesn't it. What do you think caused the squirliness onthe ground? Maybe torque x3? Not lacking on power, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                        Rmawer, welcome to The Squawk and, more importantly, to the group of enlightened Tante Ju owners. :-)
                                        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                          Oxotnik Congrats on the maiden Chuck. It boogies right along doesn't it. What do you think caused the squirliness onthe ground? Maybe torque x3? Not lacking on power, that's for sure.
                                          Tony, I don't know. As you know, the tailwheel is mechanically linked to the rudder, and, visually, the tailwheel is well aligned with the rudder. I've got pretty good take-off technique for tail-draggers, where I ease into the throttle, get her running straight, get the tail up, then pour on the power. The Ju was weird. It felt like it was yawing one way with the tailwheel planted, but then yawed the other way when the tail wheel came up. The Mains are straight. Maybe the suspension in one of the Main Struts is compressing during the takeoff run, inducing a yaw. I have a full throw on my rudder (I always like a lot of rudder) and have expo set at 30%. Maybe, I need to run the rudder expo up another 20%, to see if that damps out the overcorrection. I'm still puzzled. On the second flight yesterday, I had to abort the first takeoff run, but successfully got her in the air on second run. I'm still pretty baffled about what's going on during the takeoff run. In the air, though, she's flies like a dream. 4S with these 2836-1000kv motors has plenty of power. After a 5 minute flight, I was still around 50% battery, and I'd mostly kept the throttle around 75% for the flight. Charlie's recommendation for these motors was really good.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X