Official FlightLine 1600mm B-25J Mitchell PNP Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fast N Light
    replied
    Those are some beautiful print files and high quality prints. Are some of them (eg .50 cal) resin?

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Grossman56,

    The printed side walls, floor, and aft bulkhead parts should stiffen the thinned foam of the nose.

    Once you've printed those you can begin to dry fit and see how much foam you'll need to alter or remove.

    You'll see that the nose retract mount is the compromise and I epoxied bulkhead parts to help stiffen that area.

    That whole process was slow as the design changed when I realized the limitaions of the foam to remain structural.

    Figured worst case, I'd have to start over with a new fuselage.. but it all worked great.

    I'll need to send the STL files via email and I have that.

    Give a day or so to go through all the STL files and pictures.

    I'll check to see if I have your home address to send the greenhouse.

    Best, LB

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	452982 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1834.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	452983 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1845.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	452984 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	452985 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	452986 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	452987

    Leave a comment:


  • jetfool
    replied
    Grossman56,
    What are you using for filling the cracks after gluing the pieces back? I use lite-weight spackling but wondering if there is a better filler that sands finer.
    Best Regards, Rex

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    Sure as all get out!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_191236.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	452961
    That wire had come out and you can see where she was sitting!
    Maybe, as a maintenance directive, put this on your list to check to see that the plug is secure.
    Dave had 100 flights on her and 101 was the bingo flight.
    Let's face it, with Winter coming along, it's time to do the work.
    I have a new attachment circuit coming and I think I'll replace the old one to make sure it snaps together.
    She looks pretty though.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_194110.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	452962

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    That'd be great!
    I'm looking at the forward area as per the first pic and the cockpit pieces (seats, gunsight and instrument panel)
    I think that with adding the printed frame in the nose, it would add to the overall strength and rigidity of the damaged area.
    I'm looking back through your build thread, was there something you did to strengthen the nose gear area?
    I'm going to stay true to Dave's Cactus Kitten so nothing in the rear will change unless I can find a good pic of the gunners bay, then I'll hop on Tinkercad and see what I can do.

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Grossman56,

    I have the aft greenhouse if you want it.

    I modded mine to a "C" variant, so no greenhouse, just a bubble.

    Also, if you'd like some of the STL's for the forward greenhouse, let me know.

    Best, LB
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenhouse Mod.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	452950 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit Mod.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	452951 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Fuselage Bubble-2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	452952 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot Mod-2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	452953

    Leave a comment:


  • jetfool
    replied
    Nice job Grossman. Going to look great after you detail it out. Rex

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    You must have been reading my mind Elbee!
    What with having the green house off and the canopy as well, plus winter coming,
    PROJECT!
    She's out of the clamps, bound and gear is down.
    As Dave was saying, there is nothing on the southern end. No rudders and no elevator.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_155404.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	452941 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_155409.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	452942 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_155414.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	452943 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_155438.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	452944 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_170347.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	452945 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_170355.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	452946 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260922_170405.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	452947
    I suspect the little box at the rear so I have another one on the way as well as the birdcage and a new gear door.
    Then I'll pull the tail off and see what's up.
    Should have ordered some prop blades as well, I was thinking that they were the same as the Tigercat but according to Wes, they're different although they fit in the spinners.
    At this point they're not necessary but always nice to have some spares.

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Grossman56
    Got some stills off Kermit weeks tour of his B 25, good stuff as his is very authentic.Gret for reference.Grossman56(Dangerous Dan)
    Danger,

    Ah yes, the "Kermie Cam"...great videos.

    Are you going to detail out the cockpit and forward gunner's office?

    I know a guy with STLs. LOL

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • jetfool
    replied
    Grossman 56,
    Your rebuild is amazing. You are a foam craftsman. Better be careful when it's finished Dave will pry it out of your hands yelling MINE! MINE! MINE! LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    Got some stills off Kermit weeks tour of his B 25, good stuff as his is very authentic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 220054.png
Views:	81
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	452870 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 220222.png
Views:	65
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	452871 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 220307.png
Views:	65
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	452872 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 220447.png
Views:	63
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	452873 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 220620.png
Views:	67
Size:	586.4 KB
ID:	452874 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 221231.png
Views:	63
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	452875 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 221301.png
Views:	63
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	452876 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-20 221557.png
Views:	64
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	452878

    Gret for reference.

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    Making impressive progress!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260921_133528.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	452865
    Dan's patented airplane pinchers at work, the clothes pin adjusts the amount of pressure applied while the elastic bands hold the thing together.
    Wheel retract mount is back in place. Future note, reinstall this piece first as it would have been much easier. It also adds a lot of strength to the forward section.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260921_133534.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	452866 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260921_133544.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	452867
    The forward section is still split. Last step is to glue them together once the other parts are dry.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260921_133621.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	452868

    hen a little sanding and a little painting ad voila! She's new!
    A couple of parts to order like the forward cover and gear door, pitot tube and the Radom underneath seems to be missing as well. Then bind it and drop the gear, see what's up with the electronics.

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)

    Leave a comment:


  • davegee
    replied
    I have every expectation that Dan will be able to rehabilitate this airplane to its former glory. Over the weekend, I decided I wanted to get my 100th flight in that day. I was sitting at 90 and just decided to keep on flying it until I hit 100. It has never been severely or even mildly damaged up to this point. Anyway, got FMS P51 Mustang 1450 & 1700 Flight Times? in, but before packing it up, I thought I'd like just "one more" to finish up its career as the previous landing had been less than ideal, not terrible but one I wanted to improve on. I had no plans on flying it after that.

    Unfortunately, even though I had 100 successful flights on this airplane, the takeoff roll went normal and then I noticed that I had no control of my elevator as the airplane was screaming down the runway towards the end. I was too slow to try and use the Very impressive reverse thrust on this airplane, and it went rolling at high speed off the end and impacted into some nasty scrub brush which wrecked the nose section. The rest of the plane was undamaged. So, a major chore will be finding out what happened to elevator and rudder control. Nothing obvious at this point.

    I offered the plane to Dan, as he is well known for his amazing restorative skills with foam airplanes. There is still a lot of life with it if he can repair the damage to the nose. I also offered that if that doesn't work, he can buy a replacement forward fuselage section for about $117 and essentially have a new airplane.

    I did a lot of upgrades with the plane that are still good. The Robart diamond tires, WWII scale wheels for the nose and mains, and other stuff like that. This was based on a real airplane that lfew in the Southeast Asia Theater in WWII, and was lost to antiaircraft fire near Saigon in what was then French Indochina. All five crew were lost, unfortunately.

    So, I"ll look forward to see Dan's progress and hope he has a lot of good flights on it like I did for over two years.

    Cheers

    Davegee

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3917.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	452844

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Grossman56,

    An emerging Phoenix from the ashes.

    Best LB

    Leave a comment:


  • RRHandy
    replied
    A little foam-tac, a little steam, a little paint and you have a plane again. Balsa, well what can I say.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetfool
    replied
    Grossman56,
    Looking forward to the re-birth. Rex

    Leave a comment:


  • Grossman56
    replied
    And so it begins.
    Dave had an accident with his B25, resulting in a crunched nose. He was kind enough to donate it to yours truly and as I have had lots of practice in rebuilding destroyed planes.
    This to this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260419_112041.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	452809 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260530_194825.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	452810
    And this to this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20251002_180751.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	452811 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6139.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	452812
    among the latest. I couldn't resist the challenge.
    So she's in traction right now as the first step begins... Click image for larger version

Name:	20260920_152710.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	452813 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260920_152720.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	452814
    The first trick is to try and get everything aligned and glued back into place. The metal ruler helps to reinforce a straight line although when the other side of the nose is reinstalled, the final effort at alignment is made.
    Cool airplane, too cool to sit in the scrap box, just like the others.

    Grossman56
    (Dangerous Dan)

    Leave a comment:


  • vrosi1963
    replied
    My B25 custom is for sale for the right price , that includes the 3d printed gun nose , dave brown foams installed Cali graphics only flow 8 times stIll looks like new .pm if interested local pick up only on so CAL
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Flyer Phill
    replied
    Hi guys,
    Quick question regarding replacement wheels. Has anyone had issues trying to remove the axles? I've removed the grub screws but the axles won't budge.

    Edit: Found the answer....heat!

    Leave a comment:


  • GINGERBREADPILOT
    replied
    I have one for sale. I purchased it from Hobby Haven in Des Moines. It was hanging from the ceiling. Never flown. Rudders have not even been glued on. Has all the electronics. I never found the time to get it airborne. I am located in Norwalk, IA. $150.00 Firm. I paid 200.00. Want to pick up a 90MM F22 and need room for it. I will get some pics uploaded. Anyone is welcome to stop by and look at it. I have never paired it to my radio. I do know that the original owner passed away before getting to maiden it. His daughter brought it in to sell on consignment. It has been stored in by entertainment room and never exposed to humidity or heat. Just want it to fly and make someone happy.

    Leave a comment:

Working...