X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcat View Post
    Strut Length: 105mm Overall Length with Retract: 150mm Mounting Holes: 35mm top to bottom and 25mm side to side.

Measure yours and tell me if it matches or comes close to it..
    The mounting holes on stock HSD are 28mm W 25mm L , strut alone is 102mm strut & retract look to be about 140mm

sounds like it could be made to work with some mods to the wing and mounting position.. basically carving out some foam..but it might put the bottom of the wheel right at the trailing edge of the wing/flap join (leading edge of flap)
    www.TSHobbies.com
    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post

The mounting holes on stock HSD are 28mm W 25mm L , strut alone is 102mm strut & retract look to be about 140mm

sounds like it could be made to work with some mods to the wing and mounting position.. basically carving out some foam..but it might put the bottom of the wheel right at the trailing edge of the wing/flap join (leading edge of flap)
      QUICK question.. when you say Stock are you talking about the V1 (Starmax) or V2 (HSD) version of the landing gear?

I have the Starmax version and I guess it's time for me to measure and post pictures.
      Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Pheonix................
        I'm sure you'll find the fix will be simple and relieve worries about that pin falling out.
        Thanx for acknowledging my modding contribution but your link doesn't work correctly so here it is for those interested.
        RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

Best regards,

I have completed this fix / solution that OV10 provided awhile back and can attest to its total solution to the gear pin problem. I did not have to remove the retract from the plane as describe and was able to install the roll pin with carefully placed vice-grips. Haven't had an issue with gears since this fix.

Comment

Look what I found..

Comment

QUICK question.. when you say Stock are you talking about the V1 (Starmax) or V2 (HSD) version of the landing gear?

I have the Starmax version and I guess it's time for me to measure and post pictures.
            HSD version...
            and regards to the HK link..think those might be too small ...as for the pin mod... I would have done that myself..,but one of the mains broke at that pin hole before I made the change. so ,for me that option is out .
            www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

This comment is not meant to be defamatory/malicious about you but those HK etracts are garbage and as TSH said they are way too small.
              Also, regarding your question on V1 and V2. There was no V1 or V2.........period.
              There was Starmax distributed by Banana and then was discontinued. Awhile later the molds were picked up by HSD with some changes to these molds and was distributed by Dragon Hobby. Total manuf time by HSD was 1-1/2 year before being discontinued.
              Maybe Flight Line will acquire the molds on the cheap and make some improvements and release the BEST Skyraider in foam ever. ;)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

This comment is not meant to be defamatory/malicious about you but those HK etracts are garbage and as TSH said they are way too small.
                Also, regarding your question on V1 and V2. There was no V1 or V2.........period.
                There was Starmax distributed by Banana and then was discontinued. Awhile later the molds were picked up by HSD with some changes to these molds and was distributed by Dragon Hobby. Total manuf time by HSD was 1-1/2 year before being discontinued.
                Maybe Flight Line will acquire the molds on the cheap and make some improvements and release the BEST Skyraider in foam ever. ;)
                I think you might be confused with V1 and V2, you flat out said "There was no V1 or V2.........period." But yet the first version was put out my Starmax which would be V1 while HSD acquired the molds and improved them which would make them a V2 aka Version 2 w/ improvements.

I have two types of retracts that came with this plane, the second one I have are identical to the HK retracts which means I can change out the strut and it will fit just fine with tires inside the wheel well.
                I got the second retract from a friend who crashed his plane and I got a ton of spare parts which I am thankful for.

Hey the HK retracts are dirt cheap and if i can get 1 season out of them then they did their job for me until somebody makes a better one for cheaper- FMS does make a set but I can't justify $90 for something that won't work but $13 for retracts that will fit...I'm take that gamble and let everybody know when I get them in.

Comment

I think you might be confused with V1 and V2, you flat out said "There was no V1 or V2.........period." But yet the first version was put out my Starmax which would be V1 while HSD acquired the molds and improved them which would make them a V2 aka Version 2 w/ improvements.
                  Confused......most likely not because I do understand the industry design protocols regarding version designations.
                  If Starmax had made the upgrade to the molds as well as retract and strut upgrades and a hand full of other improvements then yeah it could be called a V2 or possibly 3 or 4 but they didn't.
                  Cowls, props and the list goes on of no interchangeability between the two brands. In most cases interchange would be the norm in a basic version shift.
                  There is the Starmax Skyraider and there is the HSD Skyraider. Each one is on it's own merit.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The HSD Skyraider is one of the best built planes I've ever seen, I just don't understand why it had such a short lifecycle...I wish Flightline would buy the molds and refine it even more.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Confused......most likely not because I do understand the industry design protocols regarding version designations.
                      If Starmax had made the upgrade to the molds as well as retract and strut upgrades and a hand full of other improvements then yeah it could be called a V2 or possibly 3 or 4 but they didn't.
                      Cowls, props and the list goes on of no interchangeability between the two brands. In most cases interchange would be the norm in a basic version shift.
                      There is the Starmax Skyraider and there is the HSD Skyraider. Each one is on it's own merit.
                      I disagree fully, as the wings are interchangeable, both stabilizers are identical to each other and are direct swaps from airframes, the cowling are the same and the canopy are the same as well.
                      So the Starmax is V1 while HSD would be V2 - the second version of the Skyraider with some changes as with an upgrade with how the bombs attach, wing lights and metal retracts and prop went from 4 piece to a single piece, which I like much better. We don't have to agree but there are two different versions of the A-1 from the same mold that are totally interchangeable..

Comment

I had two of the Starmax models and had issues with the pins in both. I replaced the gear with some found on the web that worked fairly well. Unfortunately he is out of business. I have not done the OV10 modification yet from just fear I cannot do it. After over 3-decades in the military, my hands are not what they use to be. I have had three surgeries on my right hand and arm and not very steady with use. I did a review of OV10's pictures and think I may be able to do the mods. I have an extra set of the P-40; however, I have not tried them yet. I need all the help I can get and appreciate this post very much. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
                          I had two of the Starmax models and had issues with the pins in both. I replaced the gear with some found on the web that worked fairly well. Unfortunately he is out of business. I have not done the OV10 modification yet from just fear I cannot do it. After over 3-decades in the military, my hands are not what they use to be. I have had three surgeries on my right hand and arm and not very steady with use. I did a review of OV10's pictures and think I may be able to do the mods. I have an extra set of the P-40; however, I have not tried them yet. I need all the help I can get and appreciate this post very much. Thanks again guys.
                          hey can you let us know how much mod it will take for the p40 tracts to fit?
                          www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post

hey can you let us know how much mod it will take for the p40 tracts to fit?
                            Please do as if they are a direct fit and work I can justify spending the extra money on the replacement, if not it's plan B and will require some work.

Comment

I will work on the A1 soon and let you know if the P40 gears work. Thanks for all the help with this model using the roll pin.

Comment

Mean while back in the Batcave I have been working the background with HSD and Banana Hobby- email from BH below

We have talked with the manufacturer and they will be getting back to us to let us know if we can get the retracts. Thank you for your patience!

With Best Regards,
                                Pete
                                Banana Hobby Support Team

Comment

Hey Pete, thanks for the update. I too really love my Skyraider. If I had more spare props and retracts in my hands, I'd fly the bird more often. Seeing the real thing at Oshkosh really amazed me. These birds are beasts!
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                    Hey Pete, thanks for the update. I too really love my Skyraider. If I had more spare props and retracts in my hands, I'd fly the bird more often. Seeing the real thing at Oshkosh really amazed me. These birds are beasts!
                                    OH dude... that was from the email I got last night as I have been working with BH and HSD to hunt down the retracts for this bird.. that's why I said "Mean while back in the Batcave I have been working the background with HSD and Banana Hobby" :-)

Comment

Ha, well in that case, Pete, if you're reading this, create an account and join us!
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Pete. I have really enjoyed your videos. :Cool:

Comment

OV10, I am getting ready to try to make the changes on the A1 and I want to make sure I have this part correct. It maybe obvious when I start: Insert the roll pin(make sure you've got it oriented on the correct side) and press in using a small vise with the side of the trunnion on one jaw face and the pin on the other jaw face. I looked at the roll pins and trying to determine the correct side for placement. Would some one help with how to determine the correct side? thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                                          X