X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
    OV10, I am getting ready to try to make the changes on the A1 and I want to make sure I have this part correct. It maybe obvious when I start: Insert the roll pin(make sure you've got it oriented on the correct side) and press in using a small vise with the side of the trunnion on one jaw face and the pin on the other jaw face. I looked at the roll pins and trying to determine the correct side for placement. Would some one help with how to determine the correct side? thanks guys.
    There is no correct side on the pin........either end of the pin can be inserted.
    These are mass produced by the gazillions so some ends have sharp edges which I square off a bit but don't remove the chamfer otherwise insertion becomes a buggar.
    The orientation is regarding which side of the etract the pin sticks out of to engage the vertical bar for rotation.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks OV10. I got it now. You are right as I got a bag of pins for little cost. I feel good about making the changes now. Blessings to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        Ha, well in that case, Pete, if you're reading this, create an account and join us!
        I speak with Pete on occasion. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he'll join the chat. That would be freakin' awesome if he does!

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
          I will work on the A1 soon and let you know if the P40 gears work. Thanks for all the help with this model using the roll pin.
          So did the P-40 struts work :Thinking:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I did find a cheap alternative that I will be reporting back with later this week, the same original landing gear that came with my A-1 was also used on a DYNAM Corsair , the struts and the gear are the same length and the wheels appear to be the same as well in diameter. So a cheap replacement at $23 is good if they hold up until a better one can be found or the FMS P-40 retracts can be tested. either way I'm sure people will be waiting for answers from both test.
            Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat View Post
              I did find a cheap alternative that I will be reporting back with later this week, the same original landing gear that came with my A-1 was also used on a DYNAM Corsair , the struts and the gear are the same length and the wheels appear to be the same as well in diameter. So a cheap replacement at $23 is good if they hold up until a better one can be found or the FMS P-40 retracts can be tested. either way I'm sure people will be waiting for answers from both test.
              Hello Beacat..........If you are referring to these , they are not even close to being what was original on the HSD 1600 Skyraider.
              If you do have the HSD(not the Starmax) and are intending to use those Dynam etracts/struts..........you're going to be wasting your money.
              They don't have the mechanical strength required for this weight bird.
              As a matter of coincidence, they look very much like the etracts that came on the early 1400 FMS/Airfield F4U's and P-40E's and they were pure garbage
              Warbird Charlie

Comment

Guess I will find out later this week, mine is the old Starmax bird, I have a second one that is a parts bird and it is the HSD that was crashed, the wings, rudder and elevator assembly are interchangeable between the two builds (V1 and V2) The retracts I have now are made the same as the ones I have picked up, but they are cheap in price and if they do the job for now until we get a better set then it's worth the small price or as you worded it "waste" until it's tried and tested. If it works great, if it don't work we have another option with the FMS P-40 which is also being tested.
                If the Dynam junk works for now until a replacement is found, I have no issue with it.

Comment

Nice airbrush work! I've always wondered how the BH planes hold up

Comment

I have the P40 gears but have not try the fix. I had hand and elbow surgery and biding is a little difficult now. Too many models still in boxes. I hope to get to them soon as possible. No sense making things worse.

Comment

Almost lost my HSD A-1 Skyraider. I was really lucky I recovered in time before total disaster.

Last edited by JTClark; Nov 12, 2017, 07:27 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

That was intense!!!!! What happened?

Comment

Now thats the way to shake off any near miss.Nice.
                          Dewey l

Comment

UPDATE on the retract testing
                            I got the retracts yesterday and started to remove the old unit and swap out the new one.
                            Hit the first snag- the mounting for the new one was slightly longer so I drilled the holes and everything aligned.
                            These are the newer Dynam retracts so there is a delay on power up like in the B-26 and then they work
                            The struts was 2mm longer but I swapped out the wheels and it with a small amount of work it fits in the wing if you are willing to sand or cit some of the wheel area.
                            retract works as it should but I have not flown her since Thursday and from the weather report it might be Tuesday before I can fly her.
                            I paid a total of $28 for this experiment and if it holds up for the season then it's worth it until a good replacement can be found.

Comment

That was intense!!!!! What happened?
                              My radio's voice activation altimeter warning signal failed of "pull up.... pull up!" :)

Actually simply lack of concentration. I usually cut throttle at the top of a loop to have plenty of time and space to complete the loop and left full throttle open which gave me very little time and space to get out of trouble. I got very lucky!:Cool:

Comment

Well the Dynam retracts as I reported last week came in and today I got to test with mixed results
                                • One wheel was tight due to rubbing but after the flight that was not a problem but it caused another
                                • Take off the wheel tracked straight but due to the wheel not turning freely, the SR wanted to to nose over
                                • Good news is the wind was blowing just hard enough to do a 5 foot rolling take off- awesome!
                                • LG raised as it should and also dropped even with the temps in the upper 40's
                                • On landing I noticed the wheel was wobbly on the replaced retract side
                                • took plane back to the bench and raised the gear- the replaced side did not respond!
                                • tried the lower and then raise again it worked!
                                • the gear was not locked down from the flight which I'm surprised since it was 44 degree.
                                • Raised gear again- this time it did not drop.. too cold
                                got home and tried it again after it was warm - gear dropped and locked into place- rock hard.

next test might be several days from now since it's going to rain or snow over the next 7 days...or the temps are back over 50 degree for a good test.
                                over all the cold was the only thing that affected the LG. BTW- the wheel that was not turning well - now turns with no effort so the next flight should be fine.

Comment

Oh wow- noticed earlier today that the Propeller is no longer on Banana hobby's site and Dragon hobby USA site is down... YIKES is there any know replacement props for this bird?
                                  I have two different types
                                  1. single piece hub and blades as one unit
                                  2. Hub with 4 blades that are replaceable

any ideas?

Comment

Oh wow- noticed earlier today that the Propeller is no longer on Banana hobby's site and Dragon hobby USA site is down... YIKES is there any know replacement props for this bird?
                                    I have two different types
                                    1. single piece hub and blades as one unit
                                    2. Hub with 4 blades that are replaceable

any ideas?
                                    NOPE :(
                                    Only alternative would be the costly Biela :Scared:

Addendum: BH now officially shows this bird in the military warbirds rc discontinued planes
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

NOPE :(
                                      Only alternative would be the costly Biela :Scared:

Addendum: BH now officially shows this bird in the military warbirds rc discontinued planes
                                      There is always varioprop as well, but they aren't much cheaper..

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                        There is always varioprop as well, but they aren't much cheaper..
                                        Arrrgghhh, ..... I know ;)
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• So this one is a lost cause now for replacement parts of anything :P
                                          Cmon Alpha.........you're warbird fanatics need a 1700 Flight Line Sandy. :Cool:
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X