X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
    That is a lot of weight difference due to the spinner... Sure you can't carve a little foam to move the battery back a bit instead of adding "dead lead" ?
    I moved the battery so far back that I could not get the canopy on, so I moved it back on the tray and tried to add weight to the tail. I could move it a little back and maybe add less weight. There is also a heavy nut that the spinner screws into.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingiceberg View Post
      From what I can tell I am using the right spot for CG. The spinner is some kind of metal, not sure what kind? I measured the CG without the spinner and it is tail heavy without it. The motor and prop are not stock. This is the motor that is in it. T Motor AT 3530 kv570 with a 2 blade 14x10 prop.
      I'm with Fred... Something seems wrong. Did this plane fly okay before?

I will give you an idea that I got from my Multiplex Solius glider. What they did so that you could vary the CG was to put a recess into the tail where you can place steel balls which they include. They then hide the balls and recess by covering them with a decal (the big KM on the tail). Maybe rearward of the tail wheel assembly you could carve a recess out and add the weights there like Fred suggested and then cover with appropriate colored tape or reinsert and glue the carved portion back in place. The point would be to do this as far back as possible so that you have as long as a moment as possible so you have less weight. Or you could just put it back in stock form by buying a motor?
      Lauren

Comment

• BTW, I just checked the weight difference between the T Motor and the stock FMS motor. The FMS motor weighs 240g and the T Motor is 400g. That's pretty significant when it's way out on the nose.
        Lauren

Comment

• Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
          BTW, I just checked the weight difference between the T Motor and the stock FMS motor. The FMS motor weighs 240g and the T Motor is 400g. That's pretty significant when it's way out on the nose.
          How much does the 650 weigh?

Comment

How much does the 650 weigh?
            I'm not sure what "650" refers to.....

I was rereading your post and you said that the plane is tail heavy without the spinner on it? If so dump that spinner and buy a new plastic one then you can slide the battery forward and get your CG right. Spinners are cheap....
            Lauren

Comment

• I believe he means the newer FMS 650kv motor from the P-40B and V4 T-28.

Comment

• Sorry! I meant the FMS 650kv. I would need a 2 blade spinner for it since that is what it is setup for. Is the T Motor AT 3530 kv570 a good motor?

Comment

• Thanks Delta! The FMS 650 motor is I think 276g and yeah, T-Motors are really high quality.... Iceberg, think you can change the spinner out to fit that prop?
                  Lauren

Comment

• Any suggestions for a spinner for a 2 blade prop?

I have never flown this plane. I bought it from my instructor who had flown it. Not sure what changes where made before I got it.

Comment

Any suggestions for a spinner for a 2 blade prop?

I have never flown this plane. I bought it from my instructor who had flown it. Not sure what changes where made before I got it.
                      Measure the diameter of your current spinner and then search for Dubro two blade plastic spinners for electrics. If you have a local hobby shop they most likely will have one. If not, Tower Hobbies carries them.
                      Lauren

Comment

• G'day FIB,
                        I just measured the prop on the FMS Olympus [650kv donk and the model lives in my lounge room, lucky am I not???;)] and it measures at 15".
                        The Mustang Measures, for the same purpose of measurement, 14 & 1/2".
                        Some of the earlier V7 units came with spinners with cut outs to suit a two blade. If you can locate one of those, the Olympus prop might be an option.....I did say MIGHT!!!!:D:D
                        This is one thing I have not done so it is total guess work on my behalf.
                        Regards and respect
                        Daryl

Comment

• Just buy the Olympus spinner and back plate.
                          At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

On my 6s set up, I used the Olympus motor, spinner and prop.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                            Just buy the Olympus spinner and back plate.
                            At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

On my 6s set up, I used the Olympus motor, spinner and prop.
                            I believe some have also used this setup with the stock 4 blade for those interested in keeping the scale prop.

Comment

• What about the Freewing P-51 Old Crow spinner it's for a 2 blade prop. I did not think of it until now

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                I believe some have also used this setup with the stock 4 blade for those interested in keeping the scale prop.
                                I was one of those. I posted a little while back that the stock 4-blader drew a lot of amps. I'm running a 120A ESC and after about 3 or 4 full throttle runs, the ESC would cut out. You'd need something more than 120A. There seems to be a lot of drag on the stocker. The Olympus 2-blade, never a problem but it just didn't look right.

Comment

• Maybe a different spinner, check out True Turn or, if thats too expensive, maybe find out what the stock spinner was. If you have to put 2 1/4 oz at the tail end of the fulcrum, that's got to be one heavy spinner, or the prop maybe too heavy, a wooden prop may be better. don't know what the length of your plane is, but, for arguments sake, lets say 30 inches and your CG is at 25 inches from the tail.
                                  25"x 2 1/4 oz=56.25
                                  56.25/5"=11.61 oz
                                  If you need 2 1/4 oz at 25" aft of the CG, in order to balance the fulcrum, the front end of the plane, ie, the prop and spinner would have to weigh 11.61 oz. at 5" forward of the CG.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Would I be able to use the prop shaft from the Freewing on the T-Motor with the Freewing spinner? It seems like it would be a simple mod if the prop shaft would work.

Comment

Would I be able to use the prop shaft from the Freewing on the T-Motor with the Freewing spinner? It seems like it would be a simple mod if the prop shaft would work.

Assuming you mean a hub/shaft that bolts to the motor bell...Only thing you can do is try.

The fit has to be exact or the hub won't center properly.

Unfortunately, the makers seem to like being 0.5mm off from each other.
                                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

Assuming you mean a hub/shaft that bolts to the motor bell...Only thing you can do is try.

The fit has to be exact or the hub won't center properly.

Unfortunately, the makers seem to like being 0.5mm off from each other.
                                        I ordered the parts. I will see what happens when they come in?

This is a link to the specs on the T-Motor. http://www.hobbypartz.com/02p-motor-...530-kv570.html Not sure how to interpret them?

Comment

• Just curious as to what people are doing with the wings? Are you leaving the wing plates unglued for easier transport? I have a truck so I can transport either way. I have a Red Tail still in the box. The Marie I have does not have the plates glued on.

Comment

Working...
                                          X