Official FMS 1400mm P-51D V8 Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wrongroad
    Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

    • Jan 2016
    • 235
    • Grafton NSW Australia
    • Send PM

    #461
    Grossman,
    We have our ANZAC day and you have Memorial day.
    Thank you to all the Vets from all our lands who gave all so we can have what we have today.
    Regards and respect
    Daryl

    Comment

    • wrongroad
      Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

      • Jan 2016
      • 235
      • Grafton NSW Australia
      • Send PM

      #462
      G'day OV,
      Yeah, it was just two months ago that both shirtys side of the country and my side had temps over the 40*C.
      At my work place, it can get over 50*c in the hot houses. Not much work gets done on those days.:D
      Very cold today and a stiff breeze from the south [Antarctic conditions] clear blue skies but the sun is not working today.
      Have a great weekend [a long weekend in the 'States?] and get in some great flights.
      Stay safe blokes.
      Regards and respect
      Daryl

      Comment

      • TSHobbies
        Hobby Squawk Warbird Pilot

        • Nov 2015
        • 671
        • Cartersville GA
        • Send PM

        #463
        Originally posted by Grossman56
        I can't find kits anywhere for you TS, what I ended up doing when 'My Little Gal I augered in, was stripping everything useful out of her, 'cannibalizing' her and then I order a spare set of wings and a fuse, vertical stab, used the original horizontal stab, threw all the parts into her and she's ready for the air!
        If there aren't any kits available, this is the next best route to go.

        Grossman56
        Prbably what I might do..will cost me close to $200..think thats what the kit version was priced at anyway.
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

        Comment

        • Grossman56
          Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

          • Jun 2014
          • 7378
          • Cody, Wyoming
          • Send PM

          #464
          Okay boys and girls, its time for the Second Annual Mustang Roundup!
          Get your pics of your P51's up and posted!!
          Had BBD up yesterday and Shangrila up today, I'm very impressed with the performance of the 580kv's in both airplanes, but Shangrila couldn't wait to get in the air!
          Tried the vertical with her and she just climbed and climbed... Too cool!!
          So, when I got home, I figured I was time for the Second Annual Mustang Roundup out here in Wyoming, it's an annual tradition!

          Grossman56
          Team Gross!

          Comment

          • boomer108
            Chief Boom

            • Apr 2014
            • 868
            • Chicago IL.
            • Send PM

            #465
            Very impressive line-up Gman!

            Roy B.

            Comment

            • FLY BOY
              Flight Leader

              • Feb 2014
              • 264
              • Vancouver Washington
              • Send PM

              #466
              Hey G56, I've been reading alot about people putting the P40 motor in there mustangs. What is all needed to install? and how are people closing the gap between the spinner and fuse. The kv650 motor by spec is 8mm longer.
              Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

              Comment

              • Grossman56
                Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

                • Jun 2014
                • 7378
                • Cody, Wyoming
                • Send PM

                #467
                Well, first, you need to get the motor mount for the 650kv as the 580 will not work. I also got an 85A Mantis ESC. Here's a couple of shots. The first one is My Little Gal I with a stock configuration and the second is Old Crow with the 650kv in her. Both originally were Iron Ass versions of the FW Mustang, so you can see the difference isn't huge. I suppose if you were really concerned, you could build up the fuse a little to compensate for the extra space. Now, I can't say about putting a 650kv in an FMS Mustang as I haven't done that, although some of the other guys have, maybe they'll chime in.

                Grossman56
                Team Gross!

                Comment

                • Dewey H Lee
                  WARBIRD JUNKIE

                  • Apr 2015
                  • 919
                  • Fayetteville NC. US
                  • Send PM

                  #468
                  Nice video. Was the tail smoking coming down. I think you were a little higher than our Max ceiling😁. I thought for sure it was going to burn up on RE-ENTRY🚒🚒🚑🚀.
                  Dewey l

                  Comment

                  • flyingiceberg
                    Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                    • May 2016
                    • 58
                    • Austin Texas
                    • Send PM

                    #469
                    I know it has been asked but I keep seeing different answers. What exactly is needed to do the 650 motor upgrade and where are all the parts available? Prop adapters motor mounts and even the part number for the motor. I even saw 2 different versions of the 650. I may do an upgrade from T Motor AT 3530 kv570. It has a 14X10 2 blade prop on it. can I use the same prop?

                    Comment

                    • Sky Wolf
                      Flying Ant

                      • Sep 2013
                      • 731
                      • Irving, Texas
                      • Send PM

                      #470
                      Originally posted by flyingiceberg
                      I know it has been asked but I keep seeing different answers. What exactly is needed to do the 650 motor upgrade and where are all the parts available? Prop adapters motor mounts and even the part number for the motor. I even saw 2 different versions of the 650. I may do an upgrade from T Motor AT 3530 kv570. It has a 14X10 2 blade prop on it. can I use the same prop?
                      Here's the motor: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...rushless-motor

                      Here's the mount (out of stock at the moment): https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...nt=19078685894

                      Here's the minimum esc: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...c-with-5a-sbec

                      Yes, the stock prop works just fine.

                      Comment

                      • flyingiceberg
                        Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                        • May 2016
                        • 58
                        • Austin Texas
                        • Send PM

                        #471
                        Originally posted by Sky Wolf

                        Here's the motor: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...rushless-motor

                        Here's the mount (out of stock at the moment): https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...nt=19078685894

                        Here's the minimum esc: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...c-with-5a-sbec

                        Yes, the stock prop works just fine.
                        The Marie V8 is the one I have with T-Motor in it and a 100A ESC
                        I have the V8 Red Tail too! (Still in the box)The specs say it has the 70A ESC and a 5A SBC already. Would still have to upgrade the ESC?

                        Comment

                        • FLY BOY
                          Flight Leader

                          • Feb 2014
                          • 264
                          • Vancouver Washington
                          • Send PM

                          #472
                          Originally posted by Sky Wolf

                          Here's the motor: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...rushless-motor

                          Here's the mount (out of stock at the moment): https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...nt=19078685894

                          Here's the minimum esc: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...c-with-5a-sbec

                          Yes, the stock prop works just fine.
                          So then this all makes it bolt right in to the motor board? No motor board required? Is there an ugly gap between spinner and fuse?
                          Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

                          Comment

                          • flyingiceberg
                            Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                            • May 2016
                            • 58
                            • Austin Texas
                            • Send PM

                            #473
                            It looks like there are two versions of the motor. One ends with the letter N. One is godl and the other is black. Motion has the black one with the "N" and Horizon has the gold one. Is there any difference?

                            Comment

                            • Sky Wolf
                              Flying Ant

                              • Sep 2013
                              • 731
                              • Irving, Texas
                              • Send PM

                              #474
                              Originally posted by flyingiceberg
                              It looks like there are two versions of the motor. One ends with the letter N. One is godl and the other is black. Motion has the black one with the "N" and Horizon has the gold one. Is there any difference?
                              Not sure if there is any difference between the black or the gold motor. No motor firewall/board mods needed, as the holes line right up. You need the new mount so that the holes on the motor line up with the mount itself. The 650kv motor holes don't line up on the stock mount.

                              Comment

                              • wrongroad
                                Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                                • Jan 2016
                                • 235
                                • Grafton NSW Australia
                                • Send PM

                                #475
                                G'day gang,
                                I cheated a bit here and have lifted this straight off another forum.
                                The 650N is for the new Trojan while the 650 without a suffix is for the P-40.
                                Both come with the prop adapter hub but the N is thinner in the base and would be the unit you would order to suit the P-51.
                                The part number for the thinner base prop adapter is FMSSDZ005
                                [Force RC]

                                No flying for us here on the east coast of Australia, at least from Brisbane south as we have been hit by what is know as an East Coast Low......read Cyclone, Hurricane or Typhoon.
                                They call it a low as it does not form in the tropics and therefore does not get a name but does the same kind of damage.
                                We are safe where I live and it gave us just the right amount of rain but sadly people have been stupid and driven their cars into flood water and have lost their lives. It is terribly sad but so easily avoidable.

                                Regards and respect
                                Daryl

                                Comment

                                • xviper
                                  Hobby Squawk Regular

                                  • Jan 2014
                                  • 8804
                                  • Calgary, Canada
                                  • Send PM

                                  #476
                                  If you go to the spare parts section (MotionRC) for both the P-40 and the T-28, both motors are designated "N" and are for both planes. The prop adapters for the planes, however, have different part numbers. Having said that, when you order a motor, it will be the "N" number and which adapter you get with it is anybody's guess. But quite frankly, since this motor was not meant for the P-51 anyway, the slight difference is not going to make or break the mod. The difference in gap between the spinner plate and the cowl between the two adapters won't be discernible.

                                  Comment

                                  • flyingiceberg
                                    Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                                    • May 2016
                                    • 58
                                    • Austin Texas
                                    • Send PM

                                    #477
                                    Question about CG. My Marie has a metal spinner on it which makes it nose heavy. (I bought it this way) I need to add about 2 1/4 oz to the tail. Any suggestions or pictures of where I can place it?

                                    Comment

                                    • Flygirl
                                      Member

                                      • Sep 2014
                                      • 969
                                      • Glen Burnie, Maryland USA
                                      • Send PM

                                      #478
                                      Originally posted by flyingiceberg
                                      Question about CG. My Marie has a metal spinner on it which makes it nose heavy. (I bought it this way) I need to add about 2 1/4 oz to the tail. Any suggestions or pictures of where I can place it?
                                      That seems like a lot of weight Iceberg to balance out what I assume is an aluminum spinner. Has the motor and/or battery been changed out from the stock model? I was going to suggest 1/4 oz lead weights in the tail wheel recess but there's not room for 12 of them. Are you sure you are measuring the CG correctly?
                                      Lauren

                                      Comment

                                      • flyingiceberg
                                        Hobby Squawk Student Pilot

                                        • May 2016
                                        • 58
                                        • Austin Texas
                                        • Send PM

                                        #479
                                        From what I can tell I am using the right spot for CG. The spinner is some kind of metal, not sure what kind? I measured the CG without the spinner and it is tail heavy without it. The motor and prop are not stock. This is the motor that is in it. T Motor AT 3530 kv570 with a 2 blade 14x10 prop.

                                        Comment

                                        • fhhuber
                                          Senior Member

                                          • Aug 2015
                                          • 1476
                                          • Send PM

                                          #480
                                          That is a lot of weight difference due to the spinner... Sure you can't carve a little foam to move the battery back a bit instead of adding "dead lead" ?
                                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

                                          current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

                                          Comment

                                          Working...