Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought the Great Planes Accuthrow Deflection Meter from Motion, I love it!

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

• Yes sir dkalwisky I was speaking about the 1700 Frankie. I had remembered from an earlier post that you answered to me about not liking it stock at all. That's the reason I've purchased the 360kv. Don't really care for prop mods. Seen a few fell and really damage and cause loss of plane's. Having a machinist background I don't trust tightened screws on plastic and I try my best to make sure to have everything balanced as perfect as I can get it to keep from getting vibration. I just can't see the prop MOD being very vibration resistant. Pretty close but not the way I like it. It's bad but I am a fanatic about vibration.
      I want to thank-you again ov10 on your earlier post about the sequencer. Imagine having 2 brand new bad at one time. It can only happen to me. The new I put in is working great. Did have a little trouble at first but now it's fine. Had my tx set at -100%(tactic850) and had to back it down 1% and it hasn't missed a stroke. You are definitely right about coming in with power. I've had just one of those landings with my 60 size nitro mustang. It's a 60 size but the guy I bought it from had put an ASP91 in it and it really moves. I'm hoping the 1700 will land like it. You definitely can't glide the nitro in. I remembered sometime earlier about needing 100 amp esc for that motor and that was put on order today to round the MOD off.
      Hey Dan I got you on the setting man. Been keeping up with your conversations with ov10 on landings. That's pretty much where I've got the flaps on the planes I've gotten out of the boxes so far. I can't by anymore until I get some put together. Still have the p40 and iron Ass in the boxes. Work has really killed the flying time this year. Just want to thank-you all you guys again for your great contributions to the the fourm and let you know that even when we're not commenting some of us are still reading. Near
      Dewey l

Comment

• Is that the Bearcat? If so this is the wrong thread.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks Dewey, I hear you about the work!!
          But hey, can you believe that here in Wyoming, usually we're buried in snow, today it's 62 at 4:00 PM sunny and no wind, hope it holds out for the weekend.
          I found that flap settings made a huge difference as well as keeping the power up and using throttle to control descent. Once you got it, it's like riding a bike. Sometimes I still fall off and skin my knees though! LOL

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes I did that. After picking up the pieces I made sure I didn't fall off again. Snoots Sniper hopefully will maiden this weekend. After finally getting the retracts straightened out all seems to be falling into place and clear the way to get Ferouis Frankie together and up. Been bitting at the bit wanting to start it but have been making sure I had spare parts and all before even starting the build. BTW where can I get an antenna for Ferouis Frankie. When I received it from Weedsnagger it was not with the plane and is not listed in any of the spare parts for the plane as I have found. I've only checked motion rc though because there parts list seems to be more comprehensive than most sites.
            Dewey l

Comment

• Dewey I'm glad to hear you've got things on the right track. I'm hoping you have a great maiden and many uneventful flights.

Comment

• Thanks Farmflyer. hope you didn't mind me mentioning that I had spoke to you on a previous post. I've taken your heed about the power of these planes. I'm at least going to maiden the sniper on the stock configuration but I've already gotten the 650 and esc to drop in afterwards. I appreciate the heads up. Also took the warning from dkalwisky on the lack of power on the 1700mm and have the 360 that will go in it before the maiden. I just hope when I start putting it together I don't run into alot of trouble. BTW the hellcats still not maiden and sitting there with the new eflite retracts half installed. Need to get it finished.
                Dewey l

Comment

• Busy guy!
                  You'll love the P51B, they fly like a dream, just remember flaps at 15 and 30, and keep the power up around a third and then judge from there.

I had a couple of young guys out at the field last week and they're flying quads but want to get into planes. The one fellow wants a warbird but has heard of the dreaded tip stall. I had Shangrila with me and showed him how straight forward it is with proper flaps and power. Brought her down on her mains, and pinned the tail, one of the prettiest landings so far, of course, didn't tell him that!! Heck, I land like that all the time!!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• My Hellcat is sitting also waiting for Eflite retract installation. Flew it once liked it a lot but both retracts will not work at all I may fly it with them locked in down position a few times until I get them replaced. I didn't mind you mentioning that we had talked. That's what we are here for is to help each other when we can.

Comment

• G'day gang,
                      Put flight number 171 on Shangri La today and she flew well after receiving a new propeller hub, spinner, four blades and new landing gear mechanisms after dumping in on a landing last Sunday.
                      The landing was a shocker but I did have a battery die on me at three minutes when I normally get a good safe six.
                      I was coming in for a landing due to the gusty conditions and had, what I thought, was time up my sleeve in case of a go round.
                      I flew into a heavy gust, with gear down and flaps one, so I throttled up to push through. I got the impression that nothing happened and as the model came out of the gust, there was dead air and no airspeed. She hit wings level and broke two blades and bent the joining piece between the oleo and the mechanism.
                      Unfortunately, the impact also broke the mounting lugs on the mechs so I will get some CNC parts and fix it.
                      Remember, these broke after a big dump of a landing and 169 flights. I can not complain about how long they lasted:p
                      One thing that helped me out was the fact that I did not have to balance the prop. For the first time ever, the prop was perfectly balanced after assembly. That saved some time:cool:
                      The two flights I put in her log book today were treated as straight test flights so there was nothing fancy.
                      I am always amazed at how hard the Mustangs can be to see against certain sky colours and today, with a very heavy back ground of storm clouds, was no exception.
                      I find that a clear blue sky can also hide a model as the blue reflects off the silver and makes the aircraft blend in. No need for camo colour schemes.
                      This time the landings were near perfect.
                      Regards and respect
                      Daryl

Comment

• I hear you Daryl, I've had BBD and Shangrila disappear. Thanks to the Big Red nose on Rudolph (Shangrila) and the black stripes on the bottom of BBD, I haven't completely lost them. Old Crow and the Spitty have the invasion stripes, if you can get away with putting those on the bottom of the wing and still maintain authenticity, I'd recommend it.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• G'day Grossman,
                          The invasion stripes only help you from the bottom:D. I find when I make a wide left hand turn, the models [all three Mustangs] can reflect the light and vanish. Even the red tail!
                          The only field that this does not happen at is in Brisbane [Tingalpa] but every thing is a silhouette against the back lit sky. You are always looking into the sun at this field.
                          On a day like today, heavy dark grey clouds, the nav lights are good and help a bit but the overall disappearance is always interesting.
                          I warned a newcomer to the Mustang family about this and he kinda scoffed at me with almost the 'yeah, sure old man' look that young blokes can give you.
                          He almost had to change his underpants when he lost sight of the machine in the exact way I had warned him of.
                          A wiser pilot now, he is!
                          We have a large stand of trees [well four hundred acres of them] over three hundred metres to the north of our runway and it is amazing how hard a model can be to see when you drop down 'though' the canopy of these trees. Even a bright yellow model had vanished from the view of the pilot while landing. It is only under certain cloud conditions that this happens.
                          Hope you are safe and well.
                          Have a great weekend, mate.
                          Regards and respect
                          Daryl
                          Grafton Model Aircraft Club Radio Control NSW Australia MAAA

Our web site is a good one:cool:

Comment

• Yep, I hear you, nothing like when camo does it's job. My worst was at Muncie and the sun was setting, Warbird Charlie and I were together while I was landing my
                            P40, when she got below the horizon, she disappeared!! I gave her throttle and pulled back to get it up to where we could see it again, whew!!
                            As for Shangrila, the only thing that has bailed me out of a disappearing act was the bright red nose, which I promptly polished with everything known to man to make it glow.
                            Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Wow Daryl sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident especially with such an impressive record. I'm glade the the damage was at a minimum. I finally got the Snoots Sniper straightened out but have still not done a maiden as of yet. Been up a couple times but only carried the Airfield 1450 corsair and my eflite 1.2 corsair. It's funny that you mentioning about the mustangs disappearing. I've had the same thing happen with my corsairs. Both are dark blue and the 1.2 even has the green stripes on it. One thing that I've been meaning to ask you guys about the mustang. We all know about the tourqe effect on take off with the mustangs. This is really bad on the corsairs also. lately they have been lacking at the field for cutting the grass and even thought it's not really tall it's thick. I find that this really causes a problem on my takeoffs because my corsairs are wanting to lift off before I've gotten enough speed to actually fly even sloooly getting on the throttle.(alot worse with the 1.2 than the 1450 even with both pulling 4 blades). Will the mustang have this same tendency. I'm use to my corsairs but not the mustang and was just looking for a little heads up. They really seem to have s short fuse and large wing. Just looks like a stall to me coming out of thick grass like is at the field now. The last time I flew I had to get a nudge to get my plane even rolling it was so thick and then when it lifted off naturally knowing I've not got enough airspeed getting on the throttle a little harder it naturally wants to torque left. I'm really looking forward to the maiden though. Then off to the 1700 and Iron Ass.
                              Dewey l

Comment

• G'day Dewey,
                                [this info is for anyone interested] OK, the Corsair will always want to get airborne early due to the high AoA of the wing at rest. Note the difference between the P-51 and the F4U.
                                The trick with the F4U is to get the tail up as soon as and use that big rudder with plenty of right 'foot' to keep straight. Not the tail wheel.
                                The Mustang is much easier to control on the ground as we all tend to keep the tail on the ground for the first part of the run and let it come up when it is ready. Yes you need right 'foot' but not as much as the Corsair.
                                Having thick grass is no help as you mentioned!
                                I put the V2 Corsair into the deck after four seconds on its maiden flight as she had jumped into the air before flying speed was reached. I was left red faced until a wise older pilot whispered in my shell like, 'you flew her like the Mustang.' And he then told me to watch how full sized Corsair pilots do it. Get that big rudder in the air ASAP. It is more effective then the tail wheel for directional control. Now, of course, our FMS birds are not equipped with brakes but sit through a few episodes of Baa Baa Black Sheep and you will note that the pilots have the brakes on and go to full revs and almost get the tail in the air before they move.
                                The trick is the same for the model. Without the brakes of course. Get the tail up and gather speed before you rotate or she will jump into the air in a [usually, fully] stalled condition.
                                Now the Mustang rolls much better than the Corsair and I think the Corsair is better in the climb [in stock form] but the Mustang has the better everything else.
                                Yes, you do still have to manage the take off with the Mustang and she will still get away if you go to sleep at the sticks.
                                The moral of the story is simple, each aircraft has its own manners. Learn each aircraft and remember it when you go to fly.
                                In fact, before you fly each type, do a mock take off in your mind. I have even been known to do the arms out style and talk myself through the take off...does it look silly? More than likely but I do not crash many either.
                                I have offered this before and I am willing to do a comparison between models if anyone is interested. Just remember, they will be my thoughts and only on the models that I own. I can not and will not make comment on something that I do not fly.
                                FMS 1400mm
                                Mustang P51 V7, V7.5, V8 [all mod to V8 with 650kv but all flown in stock condition and with 580]
                                Corsair V2, V3
                                Zero
                                Bf109
                                FW190
                                T-28 V2, V3
                                P-38

FW
                                Mossie
                                B-17

Regards and respect
                                Daryl

Comment

• Any word if FMS is planning new generation P51 Mustangs with the upgraded hinges, clevises, improved motor etc. similar to the recently released P40 and the all new 1500 P47?

Comment

• G'day moodg16,
                                    FMS do not give any secrets away but the Mustang is their 'flagship' of the 1400mm series and has been upgraded through out its production run.
                                    However, to make wholesale changes, as with the other models, would mean a redesign of the aircraft. Now, having said that, moulds wear out and have to be redone, so I would imagine as this production mould reaches the end of its useful life, the new moulds could well contain the new ideas as well.
                                    I emailed FMS about what changes might be in the wind and, of course, they told me that they could not give out that kind of information. Understandable.
                                    FMS added though, that they did consider the Mustang as their flagship [as I mentioned] and the Mustang would continue to feature all and any upgrades as time permitted.
                                    I have owned four Mustangs now [all the D model] a V7, V7.5 a so called V7.6 [not officially] and a V8. Even with the V8, there have several minor upgrades within each of the upgrades. Most not even noticed by the owners and only noticed if, like me, you continue to fit upgrades to the models.
                                    Simple things like, the axle thickness, six second gear, fully sequenced gear doors, motor up grades, landing gear oleos, opening canopy [cosmetic], a 'better' sequencer that was rubbish followed by another sequencer that is good, multi connector, better ESC, sliding battery tray, Slight internal modifications in the fuselage, six second retracts, so on , so on.
                                    It will be a case of waiting.
                                    The modifications will no doubt come.
                                    Regards and respect
                                    Daryl

Comment

• Thanks to "wrongroad" for your kind reply regarding future updates to the FMS 1450 P51. I have owned several of the FMS P51Ds and I'm happy with the version 8. Better hinges, ball links, more power, better connectors etc. will be appreciated but not a deal breaker. One important problem I have discovered on my recent purchases that the junction boxes in the wings have loose solder connections which can result in total loss of power to one wing half, causing a crash. I would not be so concerned but it seems to be a pattern of poor technique and QC with the soldering, as all of my planes have had this problem. I recommend everyone pry open the two little black junction boxes in the wing to inspect and re-solder the connections if needed. It's also a good idea t silicone everything once properly soldered to seal out moisture and to reinforce the wires from moving from vibration. The first black wire in particular is one of the main culprits. Scanning through the other posts, I know this is not a new problem, so I hope FMS can correct this potential "Fatal Flaw" as it will certainly ruin your day if the wire comes lose in mid air and you lose control. Without knowledge of this flaw, a pilot may never know what caused the mystery crash of a sudden roll-over and dive in, and assume it's pilot error, a bad receiver, loss of signal from the transmitter, a bad servo etc., especially hard to diagnose after a hard ground hit, with everything broken up. Also, a couple of the models had cold solder joints at the EC3 plug lead of the ESC, when the wire came loose, there a trace solder at the top rim of the connector fitting and the fitting itself had no traces of solder where the wire was inserted. The main power lead coming loose will also lead to a total loss of control, resulting in a crash. I now only fly with the Scorpion Battery Backup with a Y harness to the receiver. If you lose main battery power, you can dead stick it in. You'll have receiver power, full flight controls and about 15% motor power to get you down, it's saved my plane a couple of times already. I hope the info helps.

Comment

• I have two questions please, does the Minwax Clear Polyurethane develop a yellow tint over time, especially from the sun, and secondly, what are the best choices for a spray can and a bottle to match the base FMS P51D 1450 stock factory Silver for touch-ups?

Comment

• Hi Moodg, welcome to the forum first of all. Over time it will, a better product is Varathane Water based spar urethane as Doc and I have been spouting for quite some time now. Got it at Home Dept or Lowes, it has a UV protectant in it and is easier to work with, I usually give mine three coats, first sinks into the foam the second gives a fairly good, but swirly coat, third cleans that all up. I use a 1" foam brush for mine.
                                          Apply the decals first then coat right over.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X