X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day Grossman56,
    I mentioned that fact as by my bush math, the improvement was about 12% from the 540 to the 580 and then only about the same from the 560 to the 650. However, if you go from the 540 to the 650 you are looking at a 25% increase and that is noticeable.
    It also helps to fit fresh [read new] batteries when you are doing tests like this.
    If you are using batteries that have a bit of age on them, the loss of performance in the batteries could mask any increase in motor performance.
    I know that my batteries have lost at least 15 to 20% off their best performance from new. They are at the end of their life span so it would be a waste of time trying to compare motors with old and new batteries if that makes sense to you and the rest.
    I am absolutely 100% happy with the performance of the 650 motor on 4s batts.
    Is it a rocket ship?
    No, but the performance with this set up is more than satisfactory.
    What I like about the Mustang is that there is room to improve and modify the model to suit the individual pilot. I like the fact that we can change things to make the models our own and stand out from the pack.
    I have put balsa over the turtle deck and made new battery boxes on each of my P-51's. The prevents the dreaded gatoring of the foam.
    I have nearly six hundred flights between my three Mustangs and, with some minor parts changes [and a wing set change due to my own fault while not flying, read a car door] these model have been very reliable and flyable in nearly all conditions.
    I fitted bronze wheel bearings to stop the e clip from wearing through the wheels.
    I just need a lot more runway to stop as the friction rate is so low.
    Regards and respect
    Daryl

Comment

• After talking to my buddy about the mods he made to his plane I will be doing the following. There used to be a larger 550kv motor in the larger birds. The larger diameter will not only help with torque but the rpms will be slightly higher since it is easier for it to spin. He did this mod with his Snoots Sniper and it is a rocket ship. The draw is low too which I like!. Bigger motor also means slightly more nose heavy which I prefer as well. I will add the zip tie mod if needed after this but I think it will work just fine.... Let me find the video...
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Have the 650 in mine as well. Started there. No Clue what the 540 was like. All I can say is she flies superbly on the 650, also has sound card, aluminum gear plates. and 85 amp Mantis ESC. ZERO clicks of Elevator trim on maiden.

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
          After talking to my buddy about the mods he made to his plane I will be doing the following. There used to be a larger 550kv motor in the larger birds. The larger diameter will not only help with torque but the rpms will be slightly higher since it is easier for it to spin. He did this mod with his Snoots Sniper and it is a rocket ship. The draw is low too which I like!. Bigger motor also means slightly more nose heavy which I prefer as well. I will add the zip tie mod if needed after this but I think it will work just fine.... Let me find the video...
          If you are talking the 4258-550kv, it's from the fms Olympus. Myself, licobra and xviper were the first to do it several years ago, and it's basically a drop in fit. Note if you're going to run 4s, you're better off with the 650kv. The 550kv is designed for 5s and 6s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post

If you are talking the 4258-550kv, it's from the fms Olympus. Myself, licobra and xviper were the first to do it several years ago, and it's basically a drop in fit. Note if you're going to run 4s, you're better off with the 650kv. The 550kv is designed for 5s and 6s.
            Is this the stock prop? Have you done anything to prevent it from blowing apart? I have seen many of them just fly apart with too much power...
            Also I have seen this 4s set up in person with the zip tie mod. It was more than enough for me since I am not trying to break any speed records. I want it to have thrust for climbs and scale passes. Here is my buddy flying his equipped with this motor and zip tie pitch mod...

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Is this the stock prop? Have you done anything to prevent it from blowing apart? I have seen many of them just fly apart with too much power...
              Also I have seen this 4s set up in person with the zip tie mod. It was more than enough for me since I am not trying to break any speed records. I want it to have thrust for climbs and scale passes. Here is my buddy flying his equipped with this motor and zip tie pitch mod...

Hey mate.

Yes, it's the stock prop. Ive done nothing to stop it blowing apart. There was only 4 guys who reported on the rcg thread their prop couldn't handle the extra rpms, though whether they had a unbalanced prop, or had a previous ground strike etc and whether that contributed to the prop exploding, no one knows for sure.

I've done this conversion on the fw 190, my Dallas darling and both peties. Just on the three Mustangs, I've got well over 500 flights on this set up, as I did this conversion 3 years ago. Watt tests by myself and a couple of others early on, showed the 4258 on 4s, actually puts out less power than the stock 540kv, or the 580kv. (No zip tie mod),but less amp draw obviously. Hence me saying it's not really worth it on 4s, as it's less power AND more weight. (Though the prop mod might make up a bit of this lack of watts, I don't know, I never tested the prop mod).

Your mates seems to get along nicely though. Nice landing too. :)

Comment

Hey mate.

Yes, it's the stock prop. Ive done nothing to stop it blowing apart. There was only 4 guys who reported on the rcg thread their prop couldn't handle the extra rpms, though whether they had a unbalanced prop, or had a previous ground strike etc and whether that contributed to the prop exploding, no one knows for sure.

I've done this conversion on the fw 190, my Dallas darling and both peties. Just on the three Mustangs, I've got well over 500 flights on this set up, as I did this conversion 3 years ago. Watt tests by myself and a couple of others early on, showed the 4258 on 4s, actually puts out less power than the stock 540kv, or the 580kv. (No zip tie mod),but less amp draw obviously. Hence me saying it's not really worth it on 4s, as it's less power AND more weight. (Though the prop mod might make up a bit of this lack of watts, I don't know, I never tested the prop mod).

Your mates seems to get along nicely though. Nice landing too. :)
                Yeah he did the prop mod on his too. I am gonna fly mine stock with prop mod first and then move over to the other set up. I am a climb and dive type of a pilot and like the extra weight for that sort of flying. I want it more nose heavy too. And I can even go 5 or 6s if I feel the need but back off the throttle to keep it from blowing up the prop... Also I am more into thrust and instant torque instead of the watts. Less battery draw is always awesome too... bigger motors tend to help with that... I am weird like that too!!

Comment

Yeah he did the prop mod on his too. I am gonna fly mine stock with prop mod first and then move over to the other set up. I am a climb and dive type of a pilot and like the extra weight for that sort of flying. I want it more nose heavy too. And I can even go 5 or 6s if I feel the need but back off the throttle to keep it from blowing up the prop... Also I am more into thrust and instant torque instead of the watts. Less battery draw is always awesome too... bigger motors tend to help with that... I am weird like that too!!
                  You'll love it mate, it's just what the doctor ordered on this one. 5s no need to manage the throttle, you're safe as houses buddy. I haven't heard or seen anything that anyone had an issue with this setup on 5s, and once you try it, I'll bet ya a beer you don't go back... ;)

let us know what you think, I'm interested in your impressions. good luck mate.

Comment

You'll love it mate, it's just what the doctor ordered on this one. 5s no need to manage the throttle, you're safe as houses buddy. I haven't heard or seen anything that anyone had an issue with this setup on 5s, and once you try it, I'll bet ya a beer you don't go back... ;)

let us know what you think, I'm interested in your impressions. good luck mate.
                    I am checking on props too. If I can get a bigger prop to fit that new motor it will be happier. Let's see what happens. I am looking at a 17in prop as of now... not sure it will work with the stock spinner though. I am willing to make it work though!!

Comment

• That will be interesting. I've not heard of anyone fitting a larger scale prop. Keep us updated on how you go mate, if it works, I might do the same. Cheers mate

Comment

• Anyone ever try the Freewing props on the FMS birds, they're fatter, more 'paddle blade' than the stock FMS
                        Just curious.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Thought I would post a short clip of balancing my red tail. Love this balancer. The great planes balancer is well " lacking"

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• You're going to love her!! BBD is still in the top of my favorite airplanes.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• You do know blue nosers fly better yeah? :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	76037

Comment

• Yep!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• G'day Shirty,
                                  I will have to get a blue nose and do a scientific back to back flight test with a red tail;);)
                                  I do know that the Mustangs [SL, BBD & DA] can all vanish in the clear blue skies over Grafton. So a blue nose might be even worse:Confused:
                                  It is always a relief to get a glimpse of the tail or nose. :Whew:It is amazing to have the blue reflect off the models and they just can not be seen.
                                  Then, of course, there is the odd grey sky day that does the same thing!
                                  I hate flying against a herring bone cloud pattern.
                                  Hope you are feeling good and having heaps of fun and not working too hard.
                                  Regards and respect
                                  Daryl

PS, on another subject, when I was at Massey Ferguson, it was a sackable offence to bag another brand.

Comment

• Hey mate. How's things? Say g'day to dolly n Jon for me. My eyes are still pretty good actually, bout the only one I can have a little trouble with is the thunderbird f16 with lots of white puffy clouds. But if I keep it fairly close she's sweet. It's been rain and wind this week, so not much flying. But I've kept busy organising the wa model aircraft expo with the awa and maaa. Hope you're well mate. :-)

Comment

• I just finished looking at the 6s motor for the 1500mm P-47 as well... that is an option as well. I would actually prefer to run 6s....

Comment

• That would be awesome for sure

Comment

• Have you considered xvipers 6s setup. I cant remember it right this minute but if you pm him im sure he would share. I do recall him saying it was insane. Power and speed
                                          he commented if i remember correctly it was scary even for him and he backed down to 4s but still on the dame setup i believe. Check him out on it or he my see this and chime in.
                                          Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                          X