You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
    Looks Great Todd! It has been a long journey for sure.
    Thanks! And it sure has. Now I just need to find someone to maiden her because the more I think about it, the more I don't want to LOL. I need to find an expert giant scale flyer to maiden her, trim her out for me. I couldn't live with myself if I Dumb Thumbed her in the maiden voyage.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Great to see Todd!! Hard to tell from the pics, what was the wingspan again??
      Anyway, looks great, Even the wife thinks its a 'pretty airplane', so I dropped the hint about the Flite Line foamy. Hey never hurts to troll a bit in hopes of a bite, right?
      I hear you about the maiden, that first flight is always a nail biter, but I'm sure it'll all work out in the end and you'll have many memorable missions under your belt before you know it!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Okay it's been a long and windy road to put it mildly but just shy of 48 months since I first purchased this girl, after switching hands between two builders, after numerous setbacks and more and more money being spent for electronics needed (I began referring to her non-lovingly as "The Money Pit")...

SHE'S HOME!!!

I picked her up today. Ed did a fantastic job making sure I was happy with all working components, controls, power...While the main electrical section looks like something out of NASA, she's good to go. The gear door issue was resolved thanks to Ron formerly of Down and Locked who created a special device for the old analog system that came with the model to talk to the modern day digital servos.

I have some basic stuff to clean up yet (how best to mount the 6S/2S batteries, clean up the wiring pathways, mount the satellites, CG, etc) but she's pretty much PNP now. Damn I forgot how big she was! Just so glad she is finally home. Brad, we'll be in touch to figure out a plan for the maiden that works for both of us. Hopefully this Summer. Ed, thank you for your hard work and skill. I know it took longer than both of us expected but in the end it was worth the wait.

To all of you who still check in with this thread, I am sorry it wasn't more of a true build thread. But moving forward I promise to share videos and photos of any and all progress, maidens and flight videos moving forward.
        Aros, I do not think I can compete with that beauty. Congrats. Love all the details and is that "Pappy' I see. Whoa, just awesomeness all around, Sir. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Great to see Todd!! Hard to tell from the pics, what was the wingspan again?? Anyway, looks great, Even the wife thinks its a 'pretty airplane', so I dropped the hint about the Flite Line foamy. Hey never hurts to troll a bit in hopes of a bite, right? I hear you about the maiden, that first flight is always a nail biter, but I'm sure it'll all work out in the end and you'll have many memorable missions under your belt before you know it!! Grossman56
          Thank you sir! She's got an 85" wingspan. Not a dainty gal, lol. I sure hope you're right that it all works out in the end. It's one thing to lose a $600 EDF foamie...Losing this beast would be catastrophic emotionally and financially, lol!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            Aros, I do not think I can compete with that beauty. Congrats. Love all the details and is that "Pappy' I see. Whoa, just awesomeness all around, Sir. Best, LB
            If anyone on this forum can compete with this beauty it's you. In fact, in a perfect world I hand her over to you to detail out to museum scale. Instead, she's stuck with this hack (pointing at myself). And yes fine sir that is Pappy anxiously awaiting his maiden flight.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• The next phase is handing her over to a friend of mine who is incredibly meticulous with his builds. He sold me his F-22 and I couldn't help but laugh looking at the battery compartment. Where I just throw things around and tuck wires wherever I can in order for the canopy to close, he has intuitive pathways and the cleanest setup I've ever seen. I would like the same treatment with this big bird. Then once she's maidened and trimmed out I am going to strip her down, prime and repaint in a different livery. I have a large decal set of rivets that I will be adding before painting. I am shooting for pseudo museum scale. I don't have the patience nor skill to pull off true museum scale (like Elbee could with one hand tied behind his back) but I think I can get her in the "Beer Goggles" territory.

I look forward to the challenge!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here's the livery I am shooting for. Pappy's final Corsair that he was shot down in (but not before taking one of them out first). Hopefully not a bad omen, I just like the simplicity of the livery and the less familiar history aspect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lgardner-170121-58838a88df63e.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	308518
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• That would definitely tie the pilot and the airplane! Such a great job all around and with a livery like that, she'll be a head turner. Have any ideas about where you're going to maiden her? Hopefully there will be video!!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks buddy! I promised Brad (downwindleg) I would maiden her at his private field in Friday Harbor, WA. A beautiful area of the Pacific Northwest. Barring any unforeseen setbacks that remains the plan. There most certainly will be video, both onboard and from the ground. I likely will be bringing someone who is an expert flying these giant scale taildraggers and have them maiden for me to get her dialed in, trimmed, etc. Only THEN will I attempt flying her and then the painting and detailing will follow.

That's the plan at least and we all know what John Lennon said about making plans. LOL!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Buddy box might not be a bad idea as well, no shame in that, more shame in bringing her home in pieces. I know and I'm sure you do as well, that size, in this case, doesn't matter, once they're in the air. I know my RV 8 looks just like a Pandora in the air though it's much larger.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_105907_Burst01.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	309208Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_105928.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	309207
                      The more I think about it, the more I, if it was me and had experienced pilots, would BB.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Yeah Buddy Box is a legitimate way to go for sure...Now I just need to find someone willing to both do it AND travel to Friday Harbor with me.

Nice lookin' birds btw!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• She's on her feet!

Put the gear down for some photo ops. Looking forward to the re-paint and detail work eventually.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros Looks Great! Now for some in flight shots........

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                              Aros Looks Great! Now for some in flight shots........
                              Thanks! Now are you offering to fly her for me so I can get those flight shots?
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks! Now are you offering to fly her for me so I can get those flight shots?
                                If I were closer, my friend, I would. I often find myself doing maiden flights for other pilots.

If a plane is balanced right and set up correctly, it will fly fine. Follow that with a thorough preflight, including control direction check, and a good range test. Then, the only challenge is your own nerves. You've got the skills and experience. Just do it.

Comment

• Sage advice! It really does boil down to a solid preflight and nerves. Ahhh whiskey take me away.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Todd, congratulations on getting the Queen back to your own hangar! I'm all in on getting a pilot up here with lots of experience with these big birds for that maiden flight. I can honestly say I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm hoping we can do a dual maiden when you come up so my Yellow P-38 can finally take to the sky over San Juan Island as well. I'd say at least half the stress is related to wondering if there is anything you overlooked during construction, or radio installation, or motors, props, pitch, gear, flap settings, receiver setup, throws, on and on.............

Comment

• Exactly! Yeah Brad a dual maiden would be fantastic but certainly don't wait on me if I can't get out there when I would like...If I can't find someone to maiden/BB I'll just have to put my big boy pants on that day and drive over there, take a shot of something that will put even more grey hairs on my chest and get 'er done! My buddy is going to give her the final look over to clean up the servo lead pathways and make sure she's flight-ready. The goal is July or August, although Septembers are pretty spectacular around these parts too. We'll keep in touch of course. Here's to two successful maidens for our beauties!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

She's on her feet!

Put the gear down for some photo ops. Looking forward to the re-paint and detail work eventually.
                                        I've gotta believe Pappy would be proud... what a beauty.
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• I will definitly drink to that................again and again LOL

Comment

Working...
                                          X