You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well bummer. It turns out I can't get the custom Robart landing gear to work with any controllers...Ed said he can get the gear to cycle with the Down and Locked sequencer that Brad ordered but the gear doors don't function and have been frying servos. I bought a Xicon controller but it appears the gear is 15 years old or so and therefore doesn't appear to be compatible. The controller needs the motor amps from the retracts but we have been unsuccessful in finding that info.

So I am officially raising the white flag. Ed is going to put the old D&L controller back in her so I can at least cycle the gear but the gear doors will be useless. My only other recourse is to purchase new Robart gear which is about $700 bucks and change. Ouch. So I am pretty bummed. I am picking her up As Is this Sunday. For now she's going to remain a very expensive Hangar Queen.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey Todd, did some digging and found on RC Universe, a thread called Down and Locked Electric Retract conversions. Mitch first started doing the electric conversion in the summer of 2010 so Robart must have connected with him soon after to convert their air retracts for people like me who were totally done with air systems. So that's got to be the timeline. There is also a second contact name and number there too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        I am absolutely delighted about this F4U Corsair that downwindleg (Brad) has offered to sell to me...I can't wait to get started!
        Aros, Whoa, so cool. Bigger, badder, better, what a find. Looking forward to watching your build. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
          Hey Todd, did some digging and found on RC Universe, a thread called Down and Locked Electric Retract conversions. Mitch first started doing the electric conversion in the summer of 2010 so Robart must have connected with him soon after to convert their air retracts for people like me who were totally done with air systems. So that's got to be the timeline. There is also a second contact name and number there too.
          Oh cool Brad, any chance you can provide a link? I tried finding it but the site is acting wonky and won't recognize my search or my login.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey, I was just remembering that when Mike was having trouble with the controller on the P-38 he got Mitch to reprogram the controller. That might be worth checking into if you can get ahold of anybody at down and locked.

Comment

• Oh good to know! Do you recall what trouble Mike was having with his controller?
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I don't remember but Mike certainly would. Anything new with the retract controller saga?

Comment

• So the latest is Ed has talked to a guy named Ron who owns wikesrc.com. Apparently Ron was Mitch's partner and the one actually responsible for building these controllers. They had a falling out I guess and he started his own business. Ed spoke with him and Ron said his controller will in fact work for us. It appears it had to do with the end point adjustments that was frying servos. His controller is not cheap ($300! Ouch!) but it includes the EPA programmer which we have. So he said he could give us a deal since we already have the programmer.

He's on vacation at the moment so as soon as he's back we can order it and HOPEFULLY that solves this final aggravation, lol!

Here's the controller:

RETRACT CONTROL BOARD WITH SEQUENCER & PROGRAMMER - Direct replacement for BVM and DOWN AND LOCKED retract control board with built in sequencer and Gear Door END POINT PROGRAMMER. END POINT PROGRAMMER is used to set the open and closed position of the gear doors and the door configuration when the gear is down. The control board can be setup at the factory to run the high amp motors used by Down and Locked and Century Jet. Use the contact form to discuss your project today. Please note the Cover and label has changed. s RETRACT CONTROL BOARD WITH SEQUENCER & PROGRAMMER - Direct replacement for BVM and DOWN AND LOCKED retract control board with built in sequencer and Gear Door END POINT PROGRAMMER. END POINT PROGRAMMER is used to set the open and closed position of the gear doors and the door configuration when the gear is down. The control board can be setup at the factory to run the high amp motors used by Down and Locked and Century Jet. Use the contact form to discuss your project today. Please note the Cover and label has changed. Made to order 4 week lead time

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• OK so apparently the D&L motors are high amp and he sets them up for that at the factory before shipping it to you. Glad your at least getting a discount for having the programmer. //////sheesh!

Comment

• Yeah I was not gonna pay $300 for a stinkin' controller. I'd fly her with gear down if I had to. LOL
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros This beastie sure better fly good, with everything you've had to go through to get there. Just another level of pucker factor for the maiden LOL.

Comment

• LOL tell me about it brother. The Pucker Factor keeps rising exponentially with each passing month.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• If anyone can possibly pull off this maiden flight, it is Todd. I would even trust him with my Yellow P-38. No brag, just fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                              If anyone can possibly pull off this maiden flight, it is Todd. I would even trust him with my Yellow P-38. No brag, just fact.
                              That's awfully kind of you Brad. (Have you seen my videos smashing into light poles??)

Assuming there's no unforeseen wonkiness (CG out of wack, controls/trims are way off, etc) it should be fine.

Especially after those couple of shots I will be consuming before hand. After all, Pappy wouldn't have it any other way!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey, did you check out the dummy engine setup for the Legend Skyraider in the March MAN?

They snagged my idea about painting the front of the electric motor casing to make it look like the casing of the Pratt and Whitney.

Comment

• That's a great idea!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Have a set new set of original pneumatic gear in box if interested. Email: dmyers0403@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks for the offer but I am an electric gear kinda guy.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Okay it's been a long and windy road to put it mildly but just shy of 48 months since I first purchased this girl, after switching hands between two builders, after numerous setbacks and more and more money being spent for electronics needed (I began referring to her non-lovingly as "The Money Pit")...

SHE'S HOME!!!

I picked her up today. Ed did a fantastic job making sure I was happy with all working components, controls, power...While the main electrical section looks like something out of NASA, she's good to go. The gear door issue was resolved thanks to Ron formerly of Down and Locked who created a special device for the old analog system that came with the model to talk to the modern day digital servos.

I have some basic stuff to clean up yet (how best to mount the 6S/2S batteries, clean up the wiring pathways, mount the satellites, CG, etc) but she's pretty much PNP now. Damn I forgot how big she was! Just so glad she is finally home. Brad, we'll be in touch to figure out a plan for the maiden that works for both of us. Hopefully this Summer. Ed, thank you for your hard work and skill. I know it took longer than both of us expected but in the end it was worth the wait.

To all of you who still check in with this thread, I am sorry it wasn't more of a true build thread. But moving forward I promise to share videos and photos of any and all progress, maidens and flight videos moving forward.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Looks Great Todd! It has been a long journey for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                          X