Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RodgerC , beautiful work on your Corsair repaint and mods. Great looking line up as well. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks, LB. That was one of the first avenues I went to to try and use the Robarts wheels. For some reason, I found they didn't work out so well, and then started routing out the Robarts bushings that I am still using on my Corsair.

But you have a point. I think I'll try some new tests with brass bushings again to see if I can come up with something better than I had with the last attempt. Robarts definitely improve ground tracking and cushion landings better than stock tires. I especially found this true with the E Flite 1.5m P-51D that made a world of difference for that plane.

Will report back any progress I have on the brass tubing for the Corsair. Oh, and I finally broke down and ordered a digital caliper. The analog one I've had forever must have some errors in it that the digital ones don't. Plus, it's easier to read on aging eyes!!

Cheers

Dave
      Hi LB: my digital caliper came in the mail this morning. Not top drawer unit, but certainly good enough for my use. My old analog caliper that I used for years is off appreciably from this stainless steel caliper. My new calculations for the Corsair axle diameter and the hole for the wheel on the stock tires is in line with the figures nuts-n-volts came up with in a previous entry above. You can go with the figures he came up with, with confidence, I think. I measured my caliper with the closest "gold standard" I had, which is a 1/4" diameter OD brass tubing from K&S. It read: .2500" diameter, so I think it is pretty accurate for these projects.

Cheers

dave

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great addition to your tool chest, my friend. I framed my analog caliper and hung it next to my eggbeater drill. LOL. Best, LB

• I have not flown my Corsair since spring. I did have a bad landing hitting a small hole in the parking lot we use for a runway and had to replace the right landing gear and one gear door. Love to fly this one, but have been flying all my EDF's recently. I just Down loaded the F-4U off one of my DX 8 G2 trans. and uploaded in to my IX20 I really like this transmitter
      Click image for larger version  Name:	CV3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	336066

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
        I have not flown my Corsair since spring. I did have a bad landing hitting a small hole in the parking lot we use for a runway and had to replace the right landing gear and one gear door. Love to fly this one, but have been flying all my EDF's recently. I just Down loaded the F-4U off one of my DX 8 G2 trans. and uploaded in to my IX20 I really like this transmitter
        Click image for larger version Name:	CV3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	336066
        WM, Great-lookin' repaint, Sir. Best, LB
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• deleted cross postings

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi LB: my digital caliper came in the mail this morning. Not top drawer unit, but certainly good enough for my use. My old analog caliper that I used for years is off appreciably from this stainless steel caliper. My new calculations for the Corsair axle diameter and the hole for the wheel on the stock tires is in line with the figures nuts-n-volts came up with in a previous entry above. You can go with the figures he came up with, with confidence, I think. I measured my caliper with the closest "gold standard" I had, which is a 1/4" diameter OD brass tubing from K&S. It read: .2500" diameter, so I think it is pretty accurate for these projects.

Cheers

dave
            To be honest, I was surprised that my analog readings differed by so much from nuts-n-volts' readings he got from a digital caliper that he used. I figured right away that my readings were suspect, and today when I measured the same axle and wheel bearing hole for the Corsair with my spiffy new stainless steel digital caliper, that confirmed it. I'll find a nice place to frame my analog caliper and put it on the wall of my shop of "formerly useful tools."

Cheers

dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WM, Great-lookin' repaint, Sir. Best, LB
              Thank you Elbee The only paint I added was on the bottom plus many hours of detailing I also had a friend of mine 3D print the cockpit side panels gun site and the Instrument panel file you had posted. So I thank you sir I like the sliding canopy you have added to yours. I am also thinking about adding the cowl flaps too.

Comment

• Guys there is a rather easy fix for the weak plastic Main landing gear bodies. I had one crack on a landing that was not even a bouncer. I used thin CA to glue the case back together along the crack. Then I used carbon fiber tow and wrapped the body that was cracked. Secure the cf tow along the side with ca the pull tight after wrapping and re CA. Remember to scuff the plastic.
                I have had no problem since works great to reinforce the crummy plastic landing gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by barneyb View Post
                  Guys there is a rather easy fix for the weak plastic Main landing gear bodies. I had one crack on a landing that was not even a bouncer. I used thin CA to glue the case back together along the crack. Then I used carbon fiber tow and wrapped the body that was cracked. Secure the cf tow along the side with ca the pull tight after wrapping and re CA. Remember to scuff the plastic. I have had no problem since works great to reinforce the crummy plastic landing gear.
                  BB, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. What a great tip. I have also used CF tow and medium weight cloth to reinforce Freewing and Flightline plastic parts, though not on the LG mounts. Will give that a go when the inevitable happens. Again, Welcome aboard. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Its likely the correct simple improvement. Like that.. could be done prior to installing these retracts ,,, cause at times they do brake when ya dont expect it

Comment

• Sorry and the biggest p .. off is breaking gear doors. All the time... i luv the gear doors ,, but leave em off

Comment

• Hey all, quick edit to my build update. Rear Cockpit Bulkhead done. Woohoo. Seat and resized Seat Frame assembled and painted. Dry fit. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                          Hey all, quick edit to my build update. Rear Cockpit Bulkhead done. Woohoo. Seat and resized Seat Frame assembled and painted. Dry fit. Best, LB
                          Sweet cockpit! Didn't you start work on scale cowl flaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by barneyb View Post

Sweet cockpit! Didn't you start work on scale cowl flaps?
                            BB, Yes and those worked out great. Thanks for kudos. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That is a really nice looking Corsair Elbee. Great job on the cockpit and other details.
                              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Elbee
                                Elbee commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks, QB, much appreciated, Sir. Best, Steve

• Well had one of my mains buckle for the first time since I been flying today, first flight of the day. Grabbed the gear yanked it back into place, flew again fixed my mental error on landing, never had the issue on the next 3 flights. So what was the error? I flared 3.5 inches too high and pancakes it on the ground. There is a specific point this bird likes to flare to set in correct. And I just barely missed it. Of course it's been a few months since I flew her last and with that I forgotten the sweet spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                Well had one of my mains buckle for the first time since I been flying today, first flight of the day. Grabbed the gear yanked it back into place, flew again fixed my mental error on landing, never had the issue on the next 3 flights. So what was the error? I flared 3.5 inches too high and pancakes it on the ground. There is a specific point this bird likes to flare to set in correct. And I just barely missed it. Of course it's been a few months since I flew her last and with that I forgotten the sweet spot.
                                Don't flare with the Corsair, keep it level (and reduce altitude with elevator) until the mains gently touch with at least 30% throttle and you won't have to worry about flaring or destroying the main gear. Pretend you're doing a touch and go, but once the mains are on the ground, then reduce throttle and the tail will slowly set down.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Only problem with that is, where I fly the ground would be like flying into a mine field so you have to touch down absolutely perfectly 3 point or it will flip, the ground is a total wash board. But I have near 30 flights with this plane off that surface, still with all the original equipment across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    Only problem with that is, where I fly the ground would be like flying into a mine field so you have to touch down absolutely perfectly 3 point or it will flip, the ground is a total wash board. But I have near 30 flights with this plane off that surface, still with all the original equipment across the board.
                                    WOW, you are definitely a "Steely Eyed Missile Man" for being able to fly off that kind of surface! As usual, I'm sitting here with my foot in my mouth after that last post of mine! Some of us just never learn.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• It's kinda an art, fluttering the elevator just right, just enough throw as to not stall the tail yet not let the plane nose over. I've done it so much its almost muscle memory now. Some of the guys at the field have balsa planes nose over, from sticks to 3d planes. It's hell on dang near everything.

Comment

Working...
                                      X