X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
    What about the smoker that someone made from a electronic cig/vap. I think its in one the A10 threads He used "bleed air" from one of the engines
    ref post 9811, March 4 2020
    sam51401
    What about it The only thread that has over 9K in posts regarding the A-10 is the Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread and I searched 20 plus/minus posts from your ref to #9811 and saw nothing.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

sam51401
      What about it The only thread that has over 9K in posts regarding the A-10 is the Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread and I searched 20 plus/minus posts from your ref to #9811 and saw nothing.
      Hey Charlie, I found it, post# 9811 on the official A10 thread from March 04, its about a gun mod that includes smoke from a vape unit. Bunch of pics and a video.
      (I'm not saying it works, I don't know about that, I'm just saying that the post is there)
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Charlie, I found it, post# 9811 on the official A10 thread from March 04, its about a gun mod that includes smoke from a vape unit. Bunch of pics and a video.
        (I'm not saying it works, I don't know about that, I'm just saying that the post is there)
        Really strange MD I found the post, it was the first of 5 dated March 4th but it certainly isn't #9811.
        It is #9889 and #9811 is a post from Hardway with one of his welcome aboard's.
        And that is definitely out of the mix for use on the Bronco cause it is using outflow from an EDF
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yep, I just went back to make sure I didn’t dumb thumb the post number. Anyway I think the forced air is needed as the vap is being forced out against the airflow but for the bronco, injected out through the exhaust duct would catch the realism pretty close. The electric motor and extra esc was just for sound effects so that part isn’t needed.
          Looking forward to doing desert camo on this one and as soon as Michaels or Hobby Lobby reopen this week, I can pick up some vinyl in the darker brown color to try cutting some graphics.
          there is a video link he posted to show it in action

Comment

• I'd kill for an 80mm Hawker Hunter and a 1600-1800mm Mossie if you're asking ;-)

Alpha
              Super Moderator I'll keep taking a look at that Hunter and Mossie ;)
            Alpha, I'd buy both!

Comment

sam51401 Hello Sam, I am gonna throw the above underlined sentence out of the discussion because it is not accurate.
              (1)So on your statement of two 4000mAh (4Ah) batteries for each motor, that means you would have a total of 4 packs on this twin which physically is not possible.
              I believe you meant to say "Two batteries of 4000mAh each for both motors" and then the remainder of the sentence would be true.
              What James maidened with and flew subsequent flights with was one 4000mAh pack per motor for a total of two 4000mAh packs.
              The stock wiring has each motor powered by a dedicated pack which in this case means the max capacity per motor avail is 4000mAh or 4Ah.
              For your A-10 comparison, you indicated having your two batteries wired in parallel (lets again say 4000mAh each) which now puts a potential of 8000mAh total capacity available for both motors.
              Because both motors are sharing this capacity you are essentially dividing the total capacity in half to each motor to 4000mAh.
              Now for those that are unfamiliar with the science and ask why go through that wiring effort of parallel to still have the same mAh capacity per motor which equates to same flight time.
              The primary reason and the reason I have done it for years is for eliminating the one engine flame out on a twin which is a recipe for catastrophe.
              With dedicated batteries to each motor, if one battery collapses before the other does the effected power train also collapses and then the proverbial graveyard spiral is setup due to the uneven thrust factors.
              When wired in parallel and sharing the same total capacity, if one battery collapses quicker the parallel systems capacity is still providing for but in a reduced capacity
              until such a time that the voltages which are also equal due to the parallel configuration collapse equally and the BEC's LVC shut down both motors at the same time.
              It is much better to dead stick than trying to figure out what just happen and counter the quick corkscrew your bird just presented you with.
              I have also found that doing paired battery sets for parallel configurations is not necessary if normal balance charging practices are followed.
              I appreciate you question and hopefully I answered it without too much rambling
              Best regards,
              So if I make 2 XT-60 connectors one to pair the my 2 4s bats and one to pair the esc' s and connect those together, will that work? This is my first twin and I want to avoid loss of an engine if I can prevent it. Thanks for any advise Warbird.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post

So if I make 2 XT-60 connectors one to pair the my 2 4s bats and one to pair the esc' s and connect those together, will that work? This is my first twin and I want to avoid loss of an engine if I can prevent it. Thanks for any advise Warbird.
                boomer108
                Hello Boomer, yes but if you're gonna be making parallel adapters I don't quite understand why you wouldn't just convert the ESC leads into a parallel configuration.
                What you mentioned is two separate adapters which means more connection points of issue as well as additional wiring bulk to stow away.
                I seriously would recommend going the path I did...……….use the pic(from my build posting) as a reference except swap the EC5's with XT60.
                Just plug the 2 batteries in and everything is in parallel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.JPG
Views:	1152
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	253301
                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• +1 on Charlie's wiring as the simplest to do. That will also be the same for my Profly Bronco.

Comment

boomer108
                    Hello Boomer, yes but if you're gonna be making parallel adapters I don't quite understand why you wouldn't just convert the ESC leads into a parallel configuration.
                    What you mentioned is two separate adapters which means more connection points of issue as well as additional wiring bulk to stow away.
                    I seriously would recommend going the path I did...……….use the pic(from my build posting) as a reference except swap the EC5's with XT60.
                    Just plug the 2 batteries in and everything is in parallel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.JPG
Views:	1152
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	253301
                    I knew I was asking the right person. Thanks Charlie that's exactly what I'll do.

Comment

• Getting a little ahead but I thought I'd prefab what I can before the OV-10 gets here.

This a my design for the ALQ-144 IR Jammer mounted on the later versions of the USMC Broncos. I'm not sure if the USAF birds had them. This is only the transmitter "Disco light" portion. There is a sizeable hump on top of the fuselage spine that this portion is attached to. I have yet to design that. That will be a little more challenging for me to design due to my limited skills. Dirty Dee? A little help? ;)

Here's the link on Thingiverse.com: Click image for larger version

Name:	ALQ-144 Image.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	253404

This is my estimate of what the ALQ-144 IR Jammer for the Flightline OV-10 should be. I don't have the exact dimensions of the actual item so I interpolated its size in reference to photos seen online. I have sized it to approximately 1/9th scale which is what the Flightline OV-10 is.On the actual aircraft, there is a mound that this "Disco Light" is attached to. I have not designed this part yet. Dirty Dee? A little help? ;) Thanks, Enjoy!

Comment

• Charlie, are you just adding a + red jumper, 10g, and a - black jumper 10g, between the two separate connectors, ie JC5, from each respective motor, ie ESC.

Comment

• Was wanting to fly it one more time in it's stock scheme before changing it, but our field is still closed and Callie informed me I'll have the graphics next week. The time has come!

Excited to see it with a white wing variation. The VMO-2 scheme is similar to the stock livery, but figured I'd repaint the entire thing to cover the decals and further test the Benchcraft Airbrush on a full paint job (only ever airbrushed weathering and details, never a full project).

This is just flat white Rust-Oleum 2x. I bought a matte clear coat for the ending and will be using Vallejo Air olive drab for the fuse and booms.

Excited for the eventual next flight

Comment

• James

Great scheme selection That's what I chose to finish my scratch build 72"(1800mm) foam Bronc
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• walkerm45

Essentially yes The ESC wires are only 14ga...…..not 10ga
                              Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Thanks Charlie, or OV10. Which do you prefer?

Comment

• I second that scheme James. I grew up seeing that at Pendleton when i was a young lad. Any chance you might make the Jet Jam and could bring it for some afternoon flying spotting targets for some SEA F4's in the AOA?

Comment

• Originally posted by walkerm45 View Post
                                    Thanks Charlie, or OV10. Which do you prefer?
                                    Either way is good with me (as well as Warbird )
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• OV-10, I'm planning on using your set up for my OV-10 including a castle 10 amp ubec set to 8 amps. Are you pulling the center wire from the ESC's ? Thanks, Rick.

Comment

• Can't seem to get notifications of new posts in this thread, so just posting up something to see if it works.

Comment

• I'm getting them. I have noticed from time to time I don't get any updates either. Figured it was just a hickup in the system.

Mike
                                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Working...
                                          X