You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sturmgeschutz III - don't do this at home, kids!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got distracted. Let me put one of my pictures in so some of our members could focus back to the main topic :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7281.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	321821

Comment

• For those members who want more details in your Stug III upper hull, you can get a kit from Takom and put it on top of your HL Stug III chassis. It also comes with a metal barrel, workable track links and suspensions.

Name:	screen_shot_2021_08_20_at_10_08_10_pm_4b221c78d1ad4ad5e562c96335c29f483bc6b0f5.png
Views:	396
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	322671

Comment

• I know this an old thread but have been referencing it for ideas and guidance while upgrading. SoCalBob would you mind posting pics and/or explaining how you mounted the IR sensor in the cupola?

Also has anyone added traversing to their Stug? Would appreciate info, pics, part #s etc….

Thanks

Comment

• DD, your last question first: I didn't incorporate traverse. I use my tanks in IR battles, and there is enough "beam spread" to simulate the 10 or 15 degree swing. The IR bulb is in the barrel, about 1cm in from the muzzle.

Regarding mounting the IR sensor, it's a LegoDEI. You'll have to solder wires or otherwise make the connection with the main board. For placement in the Stug III's case, it's simply a matter of removing the hatch and placing the receiver in it's place. Most of Heng Long's parts are glued with some sort of CA, and a good debonder will allow you to remove the parts required. I keep the hatches just in case, but I've never found the need to reinstall them.

Name:	StuG III 11.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	362551
          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• Thanks Bob. I have the LegoDEI also. So if I’m understanding correctly the sensor is glued in place?

Also how did you mount the IR bulb? Was thinking of using an LED holder glued in place like this

Name:	8B752117-8031-4013-8736-95DC4E3533F1.webp
Views:	226
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	362580
            Good to know about the debonder
            Attached Files

Comment

• I just used a little silicone adhesive, enough to keep it in place. Easy to pull off.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDog77 View Post
                Thanks Bob. I have the LegoDEI also. So if I’m understanding correctly the sensor is glued in place?

Also how did you mount the IR bulb?
                I use a little "Blu-tack" or something similar wrapped around the wires to the LED that keeps it from sliding into the barrel. Stays put when it needs to and easily removed for maintenance.

Comment

• Your IR emitter has to be in a tube, and recessed 1cm or so from the mouth. Otherwise you'll be hitting everything in a 180 degree arc, including your own team.

Comment

• Hi, I just found an older video about the StuG3.
                    Thought it might be interesting enough because a lot of you are detailing experts.
                    Here is a rare example of an original colored Stug3 in a museum.
                    Hilary Doyle shows StuG III G in amazing original condition | NACC Ft. Benning - YouTube

CCC

Comment

• That wire that hangs down from the BB Shooting Machine? What does it plug into? I removed the wires to solder one of them and now I can't figure out what it plugs into. Doesn't look like there's a port for it on the main board.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by WasatchViking View Post

That wire that hangs down from the BB Shooting Machine? What does it plug into? I removed the wires to solder one of them and now I can't figure out what it plugs into. Doesn't look like there's a port for it on the main board.
                        Thanks!
                        There are a few different wires. Are you talking about the yellow set?

Comment

• Originally posted by WasatchViking View Post

That wire that hangs down from the BB Shooting Machine? What does it plug into? I removed the wires to solder one of them and now I can't figure out what it plugs into. Doesn't look like there's a port for it on the main board.
                          Thanks!
                          Only US$10.99. Enhance your RC tank car with the Heng Long BB Shooting Machine with a 130 motor and pull-back spring. Perfect for the 3818 and 3819 1/16 scale models. Shop now at Banggood!

The BangGood listing is the simplest BB shooting system. The BB motor (130) plugs into CH10. It is the same port from TK-5.3, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0 to 7.1 MFU. There is a trigger motor at the back which has yellow wires in newer units that plug into CN6. On the BangGood unit, both pair of wires are black and red.

Show a picture of what you are working on for more concrete help.

Comment

• It's the small two-wire connection that I can't seem to find a home for.

Comment

Working...
                            X