Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    Update:

The key word in the previous post is "slipping". I could run the motor, hold the track still and listen to a slipping noise. There's only one spot in the gear train that can slip and not grind. Motor pinion gear! Sure enough, I removed it, aligned it with my gear puller and after four or five twists, it slid right off. So, two things: I have half a dozen or so loose Heng Long motors, left over from upgrades. I also have some Red Loctite. This time I chose the latter and Loctite'ed it. It takes 24 hours to cure, so I'll have to wait to see if it grabs enough. Now, the TD and HL motors look identical externally. The pinion gears are the same size and the same number of teeth. If option A doesn't work, I'll just replace the motors.

I share this in case anyone encounters the same issue. Good luck, everyone!

Oh, on another topic: DKLM posted a video demonstrating how to tweak the torsion bars, which would raise the tank if desired. I may have to do this if I replace the plastic gearboxes with heavier metal ones. It's dirt simple, take a look.
    Bob the HL 380 motors are direct drop in. Mine is running HL motors and pinions.

I was glad to see the DKLM put out a video of how to tweak the torsion bars after I spoke with them about how I did mine. They too are listening to feedback. 👍👍

Comment

Just finished the M60A1 upper and lower chassis magnetization. The fit is very good, no visible or feelable gap. It does not feel as snappy or as steady as the HL M4A3 Sherman magneted chassis. Being a much bigger tank (than the Sherman) with only 4 mounting posts, it is not unexpected. Magnet may be a poor choice for a M60 size used as a battle tank.

I cut a 7"x5"x1/16" plastic for the platform above the torsion bars. Marked out the notch on the side and will finish it tomorrow.

Comment

I finally got the plastic replacement tracks in and swapped them out with my metal tracks. The plastic tracks matted to the "metal" M60 are IMO a far better match. The tank is lighter handling, more responsive and much quieter.

Shown here are the new plastic tracks rust weathered and just after driving for a 20 minutes of testing. They ran perfectly!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F694AF6D-ECB5-4997-9C1F-3CB834A50EF4.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	376662

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
          I finally got the plastic replacement tracks in and swapped them out with my metal tracks. The plastic tracks matted to the "metal" M60 are IMO a far better match. The tank is lighter handling, more responsive and much quieter.

Shown here are the new plastic tracks rust weathered and just after driving for a 20 minutes of testing. They ran perfectly!!
          I assume that you leave the metal sprocket and metal idler wheel on?

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

I assume that you leave the metal sprocket and metal idler wheel on?
            Yes. Although the idlers I would leave on even if it was plastic since the plastic ones also have rubber tires. One my second M60 now being worked on I am leaving the plastic idler wheels (though adding bearing) but will be swapping out the sprockets for metal ones.

Comment

Yes. Although the idlers I would leave on even if it was plastic since the plastic ones also have rubber tires. One my second M60 now being worked on I am leaving the plastic idler wheels (though adding bearing) but will be swapping out the sprockets for metal ones.
              Are the bearings for the plastic idler wheels just drop ins? I am still rearranging the fapping around inside receiver MB, speaker and battery and waiting for the metal gearbox from DKLM. It did not leave Hong Kong yet after a week.

Comment

Are the bearings for the plastic idler wheels just drop ins? I am still rearranging the fapping around inside receiver MB, speaker and battery and waiting for the metal gearbox from DKLM. It did not leave Hong Kong yet after a week.
                The plastic wheels are "identical" to the metal wheels. I had no issues adding bearings.

DKLM takes a REALLY long time to ship out orders. I suspect the TD tanks and parts are being drop shipped from the factory so it takes even longer. But once shipped they arrive quickly.

Comment

Just finished the M60A1 upper and lower chassis magnetization. The fit is very good, no visible or feelable gap. It does not feel as snappy or as steady as the HL M4A3 Sherman magneted chassis. Being a much bigger tank (than the Sherman) with only 4 mounting posts, it is not unexpected. Magnet may be a poor choice for a M60 size used as a battle tank.

I cut a 7"x5"x1/16" plastic for the platform above the torsion bars. Marked out the notch on the side and will finish it tomorrow.
                  I used an unused mounting post to fix the plastic platform in position. It simply lay on top of the torsion bars.

The 5x7" has plenty of estate for the loose receiver motherboard, loudspeaker and battery. The 2S1P Lithium-Ion26650 pack can provide 2,5 to 3 hours of continuous runtime which should be good for a whole day's activities. It is velcro mounted to facilitate removal for charging. The MB and speaker are fix mounted.

The M60 is the perfect size tank for DIY upgrades. With torsion bar and metal suspension arms, it offers a lot of upgrade potentials.

Comment

The plastic wheels are "identical" to the metal wheels. I had no issues adding bearings.
                    What size bearings are they?

Glad to hear the motors are HL size. Got lots of those. However, the red loctite has done the trick for now.

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

What size bearings are they?

Glad to hear the motors are HL size. Got lots of those. However, the red loctite has done the trick for now.
                      The HL/Mato/Torro metal idler wheel uses 5x8x2.5mm sealed ball bearings, but I do not have any spare left to try. I will wait for @Rubicon99​ answer before I order again.

Comment

The HL/Mato/Torro metal idler wheel uses 5x8x2.5mm sealed ball bearings, but I do not have any spare left to try. I will wait for @Rubicon99​ answer before I order again.
                        The bearings you have listed are to are far large, the TD bearings are much smaller. The bearings I test fitted where borrowed from my metal TD M60. I don't want to post the measurements of the bearings I ordered until they arrive and I make sure of the fit. That will be end of next week.

Also I have had JVM3Dconcepts design and make new bushing to replace the place bushing on the basic TD M60 suspension arms. The stock/basic plastic bushing are slightly to big and allow the suspension arms to wobble around. The JVM3D bushing are based on measurement taken from the metal M60s bearings and hold the suspension arms equally as tight as the metal bearings. Taking out the wobble enhances track retention which makes for more reliable running.

I will post photos of both the wheel bearings and new bushing soon.

Comment

I have the torsion bars "tightened" for more down pressure which caused the wheel to travel even further forward. Had I not "tightened" the torsion bar the SNAP and subsequent broken torsion bar mounting cover would not have happened.

So what was learned? The torsion bar covers need be be strengthened and a simple re-enforcement/modification to the cover will add great durability for harder use. Also I will be looking at adding a down travel limiter to the Special right and left road wheels

See photo of broken covers and my simple fix / modification.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	8958B850-7F77-46CA-9065-30F6B1AD13E4.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	375332Click image for larger version

Name:	C92A9A9E-7D59-4D1D-BD08-AA2FFAD783F9.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	375334Click image for larger version

Name:	85C5E470-2825-4D9B-AEC6-77A8B4D20725.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	375333
                          The brass C brace was made to fit snugly and was attached via an epoxy resin. I will be installing this modification to all the covers at some point in the future.
                          After I completed mounting the components on the platform, I buttoned up the tank for a test run. It makes funny noise. Close inspection showed that one of the road wheel is flapping up and down. I inadvertently broke one of the torsion bar covers when trying to tighten down the platform. Go back to the workbench to repair and reinforce all the covers per Rubicon99 style. Sign!!

Comment

After I completed mounting the components on the platform, I buttoned up the tank for a test run. It makes funny noise. Close inspection showed that one of the road wheel is flapping up and down. I inadvertently broke one of the torsion bar covers when trying to tighten down the platform. Go back to the workbench to repair and reinforce all the covers per Rubicon99 style. Sign!!
                            The photo shown above of the repaired "lock down" cover was my first attempt. I ended up having to go back and add a full brass plate covering the glued back together black plastic cover. This worked much better and has not failed. I have since had the covers reverse engineered by JVM3Dconcepts and printed in a high strength engineering resin which is slightly thicker on the top section and stronger then the factory plastic.

New improved "lock down" covers for TD M60. The one on the right is still wet and just out of a cleaning wash. These will be available soon for those needing replacement or that want upgraded parts. There are plans to make them in aluminum but those will be expensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	156C4505-4347-4C33-872F-8095BB13B94E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	376906

Comment

New improved "lock down" covers for TD M60. The one on the right is still wet and just out of a cleaning wash. These will be available soon for those needing replacement or that want upgraded parts. There are plans to make them in aluminum but those will be expensive.

Click image for larger version Name:	156C4505-4347-4C33-872F-8095BB13B94E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	376906
                              Who is the manufacturer and seller of this "New improved "lock down" covers for TD M60"? I am very interested in getting a full set for replacing the TongDe OEM covers.

Comment

Who is the manufacturer and seller of this "New improved "lock down" covers for TD M60"? I am very interested in getting a full set for replacing the TongDe OEM covers.
                                They are being made by JVM3Dconcepts.

PM me for more details.

Comment

Since I have been collaborating with JVM 3d Concepts I have entered into an agreement with them to market their products for the rc tank community.
                                  I have an order for several sets of m60 tortion bar brackets that I should be able to start shipping in a week or so.
                                  The MSRP on these is 16.50 plus tax and shipping.
                                  pm me to get on the waiting list.
                                  RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                  www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I am still waiting for the metal gearbox, sproket and idler from DKLM-HK. I will be lucky to get all the metal parts by end of May.

Finally, get the TongDe M60 prepared internally and magneted up for test runs. This is the slowest 1:16 scale RC tank I currently have! It is pathetic. I have not done any test to pinpoint the problem yet. The gearbox ratio too high? The TongDe 380 too slow? @Robicon99 already tried red390 and it does not fit. The Tamiya380 and Torro Black380 will help a little, but probably not enough.

I plan to test a Mabuchi RS-380SH-4528 Motor which is spec to run 25200rpm at 7.4 volts. Anybody has tried this motor before?

Comment

The M60A3 isn't a really fast tank. From what I remember it's offroad speed is only 10-20mph and onroad of 30mph. That's pretty comparable to a Sherman. A guy at our museum was screwing around in the M60A3 doing neutral turns in our display area and threw a track pretty quickly. The curator was not a happy camper after seeing the bent sprocket because the dude tried to use some wood to pry the track back on. Of course it didn't work. Then we had to break track, replace the sprocket and put the track back on.

Comment

I am still waiting for the metal gearbox, sproket and idler from DKLM-HK. I will be lucky to get all the metal parts by end of May.

Finally, get the TongDe M60 prepared internally and magneted up for test runs. This is the slowest 1:16 scale RC tank I currently have! It is pathetic. I have not done any test to pinpoint the problem yet. The gearbox ratio too high? The TongDe 380 too slow? @Robicon99 already tried red390 and it does not fit. The Tamiya380 and Torro Black380 will help a little, but probably not enough.

I plan to test a Mabuchi RS-380SH-4528 Motor which is spec to run 25200rpm at 7.4 volts. Anybody has tried this motor before?
                                        Its the TD motors and plastic gearboxes. The metal gearboxes are the same ratio as HL basic steel gearboxes. My "metal" M60 with upgrade 380 motors at 7.2v the top speed was about correct for an M60 (30-35mph real world max). I am now though running mine on a 9.6v battery to get a little extra and scale top speeds are much faster when I want or need it to be. Also swapping out the heavy metal tracks for the plastic tracks was a good choice (for me) as this makes the tank more responsive by not taxing the available power overcoming the added weight. Even with plastic track it is still a modestly weighted tank to move around.

You can't go wrong with swapping out the stock motors to something else that fits your needs better and I highly recommend it. The TD M60 is a really good tank for those that like to tweak all aspects of performance as it responds well to even little improvements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Its the TD motors and plastic gearboxes. The metal gearboxes are the same ratio as HL basic steel gearboxes. My "metal" M60 with upgrade 380 motors at 7.2v the top speed was about correct for an M60 (30-35mph real world max). I am now though running mine on a 9.6v battery to get a little extra and scale top speeds are much faster when I want or need it to be. Also swapping out the heavy metal tracks for the plastic tracks was a good choice (for me) as this makes the tank more responsive by not taxing the available power overcoming the added weight. Even with plastic track it is still a modestly weighted tank to move around.

You can't go wrong with swapping out the stock motors to something else that fits your needs better and I highly recommend it. The TD M60 is a really good tank for those that like to tweak all aspects of performance as it responds well to even little improvements.
                                          Great advise. I don't need to worry about the Mabuchi RS-380SH-4528 and will stick with the Tamiya380.

Comment

Working...
                                          X