Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at the A3 lite for my Bearcat and FW mustang, but only have a 6ch receiver in each and all channels are being used. I’m assuming I cannot use this gyro without the extra channel correct? Thanks. Also I’m using a Spektrum AR620 if that makes any difference.

Comment

• You need extra channels if you want to change modes or sensitivity. You can set it up to be always on and set the sense via the trim pots on the A3L. You could also use a Y to your retracts (or flaps) to change modes or remote sensitivity.

Comment

• The A3 Lite is a fairly basic gyro. It only can give you OFF, ON and LOCK. Most planes you wouldn't use LOCK anyway, so that leaves you with ON/OFF. The easy way is to leave it unattached (so don't need an extra channel) and it's just ON all the time. Start with low gain and increase it little by little with each flight till you get it to the point where you're happy with it (just before oscillation) and leave it that way.
        Putting the mode switch on the gear channel (typically 2-way switch) might be problematic as you'll have either ON or LOCK (which you could use for landing). If you go with the flaps (3-way switch), then you could have ON and OFF (middle position) but you'll still get LOCK on one of the outer switch positions (not necessarily a good thing, but doable). You could also assign the gear channel to a 3-way switch and use LOCK only for landing, which some people have been known to do. The middle position generally won't do anything with the retracts - they either stay up or stay down. So to turn the gyro OFF, you could move the switch to the middle position from whatever the starting position is if you want the gyro OFF. Whatever option you choose, you should test everything so you know what the gyro does as it relates to what channel you've chosen.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          The A3 Lite is a fairly basic gyro. It only can give you OFF, ON and LOCK. Most planes you wouldn't use LOCK anyway, so that leaves you with ON/OFF. The easy way is to leave it unattached (so don't need an extra channel) and it's just ON all the time. Start with low gain and increase it little by little with each flight till you get it to the point where you're happy with it (just before oscillation) and leave it that way.
          Putting the mode switch on the gear channel (typically 2-way switch) might be problematic as you'll have either ON or LOCK (which you could use for landing). If you go with the flaps (3-way switch), then you could have ON and OFF (middle position) but you'll still get LOCK on one of the outer switch positions (not necessarily a good thing, but doable). You could also assign the gear channel to a 3-way switch and use LOCK only for landing, which some people have been known to do. The middle position generally won't do anything with the retracts - they either stay up or stay down. So to turn the gyro OFF, you could move the switch to the middle position from whatever the starting position is if you want the gyro OFF. Whatever option you choose, you should test everything so you know what the gyro does as it relates to what channel you've chosen.

Thank you for the info!

Comment

• My only problem with that is you had better make darned sure that your gyro is correcting in the right direction otherwise expensive foam is going to be lining your garbage can.
            Personally, I use an Amazon Credit card and build up points to get my receivers for free!
            I have a number of Lemon 10 channel receivers so if at some point I want to add something more, I can. (besides, the price is right) Now I have more than enough channels so I can run a three position switch and route the gain to the knob on my radio.
            Personally, when I was first getting into gyros, I'd do all my preliminary setup by the eyeball method. I'd take off with the gyro off, get altitude then briefly switch the gyro on then off. If the airplane behaved itself, I was good, if it didn't, I had the gyro off, landed and adjusted. I well remember my Pitts not being pleased with the settings I had, but with the switch off, I had the option of going home with a whole airplane.

It's up to you, but a different RX is cheaper than a new airplane and a different RX by the price of a new airplane. Hey, we've all bought things that don't end up being what we need, that's why I have three radios of which one I use unless buddy boxing and a few 6 channel RX's in my spares drawer.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
            X