Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hobby Eagle A3L Gyro

Originally posted by retiredflyer
    I totally agree with you Gman. I have every iteration of the Eagle gyros in all my planes. It is such a cheap investment for that added benefit. I did notice that one of my planes needed the gains set at 10 o'clock. vs. 12 because it was a bit twitchy. I have a DX9 and I exclusive use one of my 3 position switches. On planes that I don't want 3d I just set up the switch to have normal mode (no gyro) in the middle with the gyro function only activated in either of the other two positions. That way I don't have to think when flying which way I need to flip the switch, it's off in the middle and on in either of the other positions. The 3d function never activates because my radio is only programmed to go to the gyro.
     One of my planes is so light that if I didn't have the gyro activated all the time I would never be able to fly unless it was absolutely calm, and that almost never happens.
     What a great technological advancement that allows us to fly more of time with some comfort.
    I could not agree more.  I have either the A3L or Eagle Tree in all my planes.  I do not need the 3D modes and the gain is set to 0.  I mostly use the Eagle Tree in my EDF and the A3L in my war birds.  I have the master gain set in all using a slider.  I set the gain manually at the 1000 position and used to the master gain for additional control when I need to.  How do you set your maser gain switch? I try to learn all I can from other flyers.  Thanks much.

Comment

I removed the A3L from Pandora two and put it in the Waco, which I didn't think was possible, but there's a little ridge on the left side of the hatch that is ideal.  I checked all my directional controls at 100% and when I was sure they were operating in the right direction, I rolled the screw back to the 1 o'clock position, reasoning that with a smaller wingspan, maybe it would be better to set it a little hotter than usual, usual being about 12 o'clock.  Can't wait to try her out.  Now here's a bird that I've flown quite a bit without a gyro and feel very confident flying her that way as I finally have her dialed in.  So, if the other planes are any indication, this should improve her even more. 

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

I have the Eagle A3L in my Sensei and would like to put one in my Waco if I can figure out how. As far as my Warbirds I need to get a 7 or 8 channel transmitter 6 channel's won't do. Like G man the 10:30 to 11o'clock position works well for me.

G man do you mean the battery hatch or the cockpit hatch on the Waco? Also do you have it mounted flat or on edge? Thanks.

Roy B.

Comment

If I can get one in my Art-Tech Pitts, you can get one in most anything! Doc

Comment

Hey Roy, in the pilot hatch, here's a couple of pics of how I have it set up.  As I said, do all your adjusting before you mount it as you'll have to release the tape in order to get at it again.
            I put the gain a little hotter as mentioned, should be able to get a flight in on Sunday if the weather is good.

Grossman56
            Attached Files
            Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks G man. Looks like you figured it out. A3L here I come. Thanks again and good flying!

Roy B.

Comment

Your welcome Roy, and good luck, its 94 and windy here today, so no chance of trying it out, but I'll be up bright and early tomorrow, if the wind is going to be calm, its in the early AM that its most likely.  Also, now since I have Old Crow repaired and ready to go out again, I'd like to get her up in the skies as well.  Just be sure that the corrections are working in the right direction!!!!

Grossman56  
                Team Gross!

Comment

I ran into an issue with the super 2. On the bench everything checks out fine. But when I took off and got airborne around 15 feet off ground the control surfaces all went to extremes causing a quick nose down into the ground. Total loss of a brand new FW Old crow. It was setup as per manual, gyro was calibrated, sticks were centered all checks done. After spending the cash to rebuild it I tried again and this time it did it during a runway check. Needless to say I didn't fly and took out the gyro. Any suggestions?

Comment

I have the super 2 but have not used it yet. I really cannot think of what the issue might be. Alpha at MRC is real good at trouble shooting these kind of issues. Perhaps you should give him a call for help. I am partial to Eagle Tree though they cost more. I used these mostly in my jets and have no had one problem with them as the PC programming is very good. The A3L is well worth the money for small planes and warbirds. For my expensive planes, I only trust Eagle Tree. Pick up one ad see what you think. When you say "run way check", what do you mean. I never use gyros on take off unless it is touch and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
                      I have the super 2 but have not used it yet.  I really cannot think of what the issue might be.  Alpha at MRC is real good at trouble shooting these kind of issues.  Perhaps you should give him a call for help.  I am partial to Eagle Tree though they cost more.  I used these mostly in my jets and have no had one problem with them as the PC programming is very good.  The A3L is well worth the money for small planes and warbirds.  For my expensive planes, I only trust Eagle Tree.  Pick up one ad see what  you think.  When you say "run way check", what do you mean.  I never use gyros on take off unless it is touch and go.
                      I have a Eagle Tree Vector FC in my Quadcopter. Was thinking of going that route but tried the A3L. Seems I should have just got another Eagletree. Ive spent almost as much now to rebuild this warbird.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                        Your welcome Roy, and good luck, its 94 and windy here today, so no chance of trying it out, but I'll be up bright and early tomorrow, if the wind is going to be calm, its in the early AM that its most likely.  Also, now since I have Old Crow repaired and ready to go out again, I'd like to get her up in the skies as well.  Just be sure that the corrections are working in the right direction!!!!

Grossman56  
                        Hey G Man!
                          I received my A3L from Motion and put it in today like you showed me. Slick! Everything is moving the right way and ready to fly. I'll let you know how it goes this week. Thanks again.
                        Roy B.

Comment

Hey, great to hear Roy.  I had no problems with her.  I actually robbed the A3L out of Pandora 2 as I wasn't flying her and put it in the Waco as an experiment, thinking that I probably wouldn't be able to get one in but, may as well try.
                          As it turned out, through trial and error, I found the sweet spot and it works very well.  The only drag about it is that you can't get to the adjustment screw if wan to increase or decrease.
                          I'm thinking I might tap a small hole through the fuse to the screw, but I haven't really decided yet.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Hey G Man,
                              I was thinking the same thing. Amazing how great minds think alike. I have the gain set a 12:30,what's your sweet spot?

Roy B.

Comment

I've got her around 12, but you could go more I'm thinking, one o'clock.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey G Man!
                                  I Maiden my Waco today she flew great with the A3L installed. Winds were 7-10 gain set at 12:30. She will definitely take more wind with no problem. I going to try the gain set at the 1:00 position like you suggested and see how it goes. Now to work on that access hole for the gain adjustment. Thanks again for your help. Good flying.

Roy B.

Comment

Hey great to hear Boomer, they DO fly better with a gyro!  I had mine up in the breeze a couple of times and what's so impressive is when I go to land, even in a cross wind, those wings are beautifully level, I definitely love my Waco now.  Great little bird for aerobatics!  Now she's what I would call an 'honest' bird.  Let me know how the drilling goes, I'm going to attempt the same thing, been busy for the last little bit.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm probably not telling anyone who actually reads the manual any thing new here, but I was looking at the specs for the A3L and it says that you can use a remote gain on it!
                                    I'm thinking, "How do I do this?"
                                    Simple, says the manual, it goes into the s bus terminal and out to an empty channel, then assign it to a knob and it becomes your master gain control.  So, all you have to do is crank the manual gain (screw) control on the Gyro and use the master gain control knob on the radio.
                                    So Boomer, don't go drilling holes just yet, this would be a great solution to those cramped places where a gyro would go.
                                    Call me Old Guy once again, but I'm going to read the manuals a little closer from now on
                                    (Assuming they're not in Chinglish  LOL)

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

I have it set up this way but have not tried it yet.  Let me know how this works for you.

Comment

I've got a message in to Ryan, I'll let you know what he says.  I've got to get some spare cables before I can try it

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

I checked it out a few minutes ago and it really works. I have my 2-D switch set at about 1100 and used the remote master gain on a slide to increase rate and it worked. I have all set up this way, but never used. Now I am going to use it, as this is what it is for. Happy flying.

Comment

Working...
                                          X