Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are using digital servos they often twitch. Try an analog servo and see if it does the same.

Comment

• Is it necessary to use the capacitor that comes with the A3L?

Comment

• Originally posted by \o/woohoo View Post
        Is it necessary to use the capacitor that comes with the A3L?
        "Necessary" is a point of view. It's insurance. Some believe in insurance. Some don't. I have several HobbyEagles gyros in planes with NO capacitor and none have presented any problems. Those were from the days before they provided the capacitor with each unit. I also have 2 more that I have the capacitors and they, too, work flawlessly. It takes nothing to plug it in, so if there's room for it why not.

Comment

• Awesome. What is the reason for the caps anyway? If you dont mind i ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by \o/woohoo View Post
            Awesome. What is the reason for the caps anyway? If you dont mind i ask.
            I believe that there were a few reports of failures due to power loss in the RX and this created some problems with the gyro and/or RX. The capacitor was added as a way to stabilize and/or maintain sufficient voltage for just long enough in hopes that the primary cause of the power issue was momentary. I'm not so sure that this was ever conclusively proven one way or the other by anyone, thus, the appearance of this little device. I personally, have never heard of these reports and have not heard any further reports after the cap was introduced. It's not unlike the season we had at one of our clubs here where a few guys were crashing and the typical response was, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED". So, in an effort to come up with a reason other than pilot error or equipment failure, it was determined that cellphone emissions were to blame. Somebody high up in the club researched it and decided that was the ONLY reason for these crashes. Everyone who is flying or near anyone who is flying MUST turn their cellphones off. It wasn't long before this became a pile of BS since guys were still crashing for "unknown" reasons.

Comment

• I have flown all my jets and warbirds with the A3L without the cap. No issues at all (knock on wood).

I think it also may be rx brand related (or protocol). I run flysky. Love it. Never an issue and extremely affordable. I can buy me a jetti right now but why? My i10 does everything i need.

Anyway so I'll just keep flying without the cap since i never had any issues. If i suspect anything I'll pop one on. They go on the rx right? Or it doesnt matter?

Comment

• Yes, it just needs to feed into the RX in some way. Most convenient is the bind/ artery port since it’s usually empty, but it can be “Y’d into any port.

Comment

• Perfect. Thank you.

Comment

• F4d Freewing, would the A3L be a help on this heavy flying F4 that likes to fall out of the sky on final turn.
                    Snap roll w cg forward. ????? Thoughts ?¿???

Comment

• Originally posted by david101 View Post
                      F4d Freewing, would the A3L be a help on this heavy flying F4 that likes to fall out of the sky on final turn.
                      Snap roll w cg forward. ????? Thoughts ?¿???
                      A device like this won't defy the laws of physics. When you go into a turn on final, it's up to the pilot to apply enough power to prevent the plane from going below its stall speed. If you do your turns like that, a gyro will not help you.

Comment

• D101, Much like the 1:1 you NEED to add power (speed maintenance) AND some opposite rudder if you are at low speed to hold a lateral turn. Just keep power ON in turns and also to compensate for additional drag caused by gear-down, flaps down, ordinance, etc. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Today's Silly Question:
                          What's the orientation of the lead plugs on the A3L? I see the signal/pos/neg icons on top of the case, but does it mean neg is towards the back/bottom? Is it correct in pix? Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_140510.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	264449

Comment

• Originally posted by PELOTARI View Post
                            Today's Silly Question:
                            What's the orientation of the lead plugs on the A3L? I see the signal/pos/neg icons on top of the case, but does it mean neg is towards the back/bottom? Is it correct in pix? Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_140510.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	264449
                            Your picture shows the correct wire polarity .

Comment

• Thanks, T-Cat ! 🛩

Comment

• You're welcome!

Comment

• And while I'm at it...
                                  I only saw a passing reference as to positioning of the gyro relative to the CG in the forum. There's no way in Hades I can get the gyro anywhere the CG (as it is I'm using 12" extensions from a "control box" to the gyro to the RX). I would need to place it forward of the CG by roughly a foot as it stands. Any thoughts? 😏

Comment

And while I'm at it...
                                    I only saw a passing reference as to positioning of the gyro relative to the CG in the forum. There's no way in Hades I can get the gyro anywhere the CG (as it is I'm using 12" extensions from a "control box" to the gyro to the RX). I would need to place it forward of the CG by roughly a foot as it stands. Any thoughts? 😏
                                    What aircraft are you using it in and which of the three available "Modes" of the gyro do you plan to use?

If you are just using the gyro for general stabilization (aka "Normal Mode"), then having the gyro placed a bit forward of the CG isn't absolutely critical. I have flown many of these gyros in jets with them secured a bit forward of the CG (such as in the rear of the battery compartment), and using it only in Normal mode and it has worked flawlessly. In a perfect world, it would be ideal to have a gyro on the aircrafts CG as intended in the manual.

However, if you plan to use the gyros "3D Flight Mode", then I'd imagine it would be more critical to secure your gyro exactly on or very close to the aircrafts CG due to how that flight mode works and what it is intended to do.

I never used the 3D Flight Mode, only the Normal and Off modes, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

• It's going into an AL37 airliner (Motion RC) and it's going to be used only for stabilization purposes only- 3D to be shut down completely. The CG is waaay behind everything (mid-wing). I would not be as worried if I had a spare two-way switch on the TX- which I don't- to shut it off in flight if things get hairy. Still working on THAT potential problem as well. Appreciate your ongoing input.

Comment

It's going into an AL37 airliner (Motion RC) and it's going to be used only for stabilization purposes only- 3D to be shut down completely. The CG is waaay behind everything (mid-wing). I would not be as worried if I had a spare two-way switch on the TX- which I don't- to shut it off in flight if things get hairy. Still working on THAT potential problem as well. Appreciate your ongoing input.
                                        I don't think Normal stabilization mode will be an issue using that gyro on the AL37 with it a bit forward of the CG.

However, there is no doubt that having a Gyro "OFF" switch programmed on thee TX is absolutely critical, and I wouldn't use a gyro without one. That is just my opinion, though. You want a way out if things go wrong, and that switch is the lifeline.

Also, having the gyro OFF for the first flight or first several flights is what you'll want to do to trim the aircraft to fly straight and level without needed pressure on the gimbal sticks. Then, once the aircraft is properly trimmed, the aircraft can then be powered off following the last flight and once powered back on, let the aircraft remain untouched on the ground to initialize the gyro to allow it to remember the TX stick neutral position with the trims the way you have them set. The gyro will remember them during initialization, and the gyro will then be ready to be activated on subsequent flights in the air with a safe altitude margin to test the gyro, see if less or more gain is needed, etc.

Before any flying occurs, it is crucial to ensure the gyro is correcting the control surfaces in the proper direction. Mistakes happen though, and many people have accidently had the gyro correcting movement incorrectly on one or more of the flight control surfaces, but they did not have an "OFF" switch to get them clear of the situation instantly.

Comment

• She's pretty well trimmed out at this point, so initializing should not be an issue. I've gotten to the point where I'm looking for a more relaxing flying experience when I go up, and want to be less affected by 90 degree crosswinds, etc. if at all possible. We're on the same page regarding a "Safety" option. Looks like I'm in the market for another RX with 8 channels instead of 7 (Flash- TX does have an 8th "AUX" switch). Thanks again for your Two Cents- will update in the next few days depending on what's available, RX-wise.

Comment

Working...
                                          X