X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bobbyc View Post
    Hi chaps can I just plug in and set up my new A3 flight controller using just rudder and elevator using a mode 2 transmitter , right hand stick only. Left stick throttle only.i.e. So do I just connect aileron( rudder really) and elevator.i do not have ailerons on my model.just an old timer but I am new to flying after a long lay off.so this controller looks like a great flying aid ,especially in oh crap mode (auto balance). Hope I am correct but please give your views/input.
    Since you mentioned the "A3" and not the "A3-L", then yes, the A3 does have a "recovery", "Oh Crap" saving feature. It's called "auto-balance". Here is Ryan demonstrating this feature near the end of the video:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As for plugging the rudder into the AIL port, this is the typical "Rudder/Elevator" set up for sailplanes like the Radian. Since the rudder acts like ailerons, that's where you plug it.

Comment

• Thanx for the correction XV, I totally forgot about the "A3 6 axis", just so damn familiar with the "L" ;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        Thanx for the correction XV, I totally forgot about the "A3 6 axis", just so damn familiar with the "L" ;)
        No problem. It's easy to forget since there are so many of them. For most of my planes, the A3L is more than adequate. I have put the A3 into a large 3D biplane and my hovering Mig 29 jet. The hover mode works great on both but I find the recovery mode needs to be calibrated just right or it can get confused and drive the plane towards a dirt nap. It will "recover" the plane but mine tend to dive much more than I'd like in "auto balance" mode. I think it's a matter of doing a re-calibration.

Comment

• I only operate rudder and elevator using a radio in mode 2 so only using 1 stick on the right,throttle is on the left stick.can I still connect up the A3 not using ailerons

Comment

• Thanks for reply, seems I asked question again.just to clarify can I then just not fit the extra male to male extensions to the aileron ports ,or does the unit need the wires to be plugged in.I asume it only senses the inputs that are connected.

Comment

• Just put 2 flight on my FMS P47 1500mm Razorback w/A3L installed and the difference is unbelievable. Feels like it's on rails now. Lol... I feel like I'm cheating

Comment

Thanks for reply, seems I asked question again.just to clarify can I then just not fit the extra male to male extensions to the aileron ports ,or does the unit need the wires to be plugged in.I asume it only senses the inputs that are connected.
                You need to tell us ................. Does your plane have ailerons? The aileron gyro affects the roll axis. If your rudder does this, then it goes into the AIL port. However, if you DO have ailerons, what are you doing with those? How are you controlling them? A "conventional" airplane (ie, one with AIL, RUDD, ELE) will NOT roll much on rudder alone. It will do a flat turn. On such a plane, if you plug in the rudder into the AIL port, the gyro will have very little ability to affect roll and that's what it's there for.
                But to answer your question without knowing anything else, YES, the gyro will only affect what you plug into it and comes out of it. If you leave the AIL ports alone, they will do nothing. But this us only a partial answer if we don't know what kind of plane you have and what it is you're trying to do. If you have a rudder and elevator only plane, meaning that you control the roll primarily with the rudder, the the rudder gets plugged into the AIL out of the gyro and the RX AIL port goes into the AIL IN port of the gyro. In this way, you control the rudder with the left stick, while the gyro can affect the rudder as if it's an aileron.

Comment

• Pm sent many thanks,setting up the radio gear in model on Saturday.

Comment

Pm sent many thanks,setting up the radio gear in model on Saturday.
                    :Cool:

Comment

• Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I found it very interesting to go through this topic. I have a question however on these 3-axis gyros: When the gyro is activated and you make a turn on ailerons, what will be the reaction of the rudder? Will it try to counter the change of direction?
                      I have a EMCOTEC one axe gyro installed on the rudder of my Big Stik to assist the take off. If I don't switch it of once the plane is airborne, the rudder will counter every aileron input. Do we see the same effect with this gyro?

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick verlinden View Post
                        Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I found it very interesting to go through this topic. I have a question however on these 3-axis gyros: When the gyro is activated and you make a turn on ailerons, what will be the reaction of the rudder? Will it try to counter the change of direction?
                        I have a EMCOTEC one axe gyro installed on the rudder of my Big Stik to assist the take off. If I don't switch it of once the plane is airborne, the rudder will counter every aileron input. Do we see the same effect with this gyro?
                        I have not seen this with the HobbyEagle. Keep in mind that the A3L has 2 selectable settings - 1 is for normal stabilized flight and another for 3D stabilized flight. I don't use the 3D mode so can't say what it does to the rudder. In normal stabilized mode, if you just do a "bank and yank", I have not witnessed the rudder doing much of anything. The tail just kind of gets pulled along behind the plane. If you use rudder to do your banking and turning, then the rudder stabilizer is nullified once the stick is off center.

Comment

• OK I will give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Comment

• If you have the version that gives a blue light when in standard stab and a red light for 3D stab, then it's easy to tell. No light, no stab.

Comment

• Most of the gyros I've used are the A3L's but I put an A3 in P-2 just so the wife would have the auto level feature. A couple of weeks ago we were buddy boxing with P-2 and when I'd hand it off to her, she just couldn't get the thing to turn. Turns out that when I handed off to the slave radio, the Auto Balance turned on, simple fix, just hit the switch off on the slave radio, but man, she couldn't turn the dang thing, it really works!!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• I am trying to install and setup a A3L in a Bixler. When I power up with everything connected, the blue led flashes on for a second and then rapidly 4 or 5 times as if it's calibrating but then there a very quick blip and the servos all move slightly and then sequence keeps repeating and I cannot get into program or setup mode again, and no control of surfaces either. Any thoughts? Have triple checked connections and have no Mode control. I have short video but get it to upload.

Comment

• Did you hold the button down ?
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Make sure the ports labeled out are actually the servos from the plane. It's a little misleading. The ports labeled aileron, elevator rudder and mod actually go to the rx.

Comment

• Thank you both for your comments. I did hold the button down, tried several times and yes the servos are indeed connected to the "outputs" of the A3-L.
                                      That being said, I have done some more troubleshooting and have found that the A3-L works properly when any one servo is connected. If a second one is added then the flashing and servo fluttering starts! Also if I connect a different ESC, it works properly with all three servos connected! Original ESC works properly without the A3-L! Thoughts?...

Comment

• I added the Hobby Eagle EZ capacitor and it solved my problem!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
                                          Make sure the ports labeled out are actually the servos from the plane. It's a little misleading. The ports labeled aileron, elevator rudder and mod actually go to the rx.
                                          Wish I would have read this 2 hours ago,

Thanks
                                          Mike
                                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Working...
                                          X