X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hobby Eagle A3L Gyro

I have them in all my Pandoras and Mustangs.  Hadn't noticed this but was a little concerned when I saw it.  But Ryan is right (of course), it says to expect that in the manual.  Thanks for reminding me and relieving my mind as well.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

This happened to me as well. I am not worried after reading the file. I have these in all my planes, either the A3 or Eagle Tree. I think the Eagle Tree is easier to use because it can be programmed using your PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Axle209
        Is there a way to setup gyro when you have both Ailerons connected into separate channels, not on a Y harness.  As I have FMS Zero ailerons on separate channels.
        The HobbyEagle Super II will allow for connecting 2 separate Aileron servos and 2 separate Elevator servos. http://www.motionrc.com/eagle-a3-super-ii-6-axis-programmable-airplane-gyro-w-auto-recovery/ I would recommend getting the one with the programming card unless you have a laptop or buy a USB extension cable, the one it comes with is a tad short.
        Wayne

Comment

I just set mine up today in my dynam Pitts. Only got a few flights because I forgot to charge my radio. One question I have is, do I need to raise the tail of my plane when the gyro is initializing. My first flight it seemed like it was dragging the tail. Second flight I put a piece of foam under the tail and it seemed better. When my plane is sitting tail wheel on the ground it is in a nose up position. So is going to calibrate it in this position?

Comment

What I do with mine, and what is recommended, is that you plug in the battery and the airplane goes trough its series of beeps, don't touch it while it is doing this.  The controls will twitch once it is ready, which is pretty close to immediately after the beeps, then its is free to go.  The tail should be on the ground, it takes that into account

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
              What I do with mine, and what is recommended, is that you plug in the battery and the airplane goes trough its series of beeps, don't touch it while it is doing this.  The controls will twitch once it is ready, which is pretty close to immediately after the beeps, then its is free to go.  The tail should be on the ground, it takes that into account

Grossman56
              Thanks for the advice

Comment

I have to day, these gyros are the best bang for your buck, accessory-wise.  I found that the way the plane responds to the controls, even when your not in the wind, is just awesome.  Like Ryan says in his video, it feels like its locked in.
                All my planes fly very crisp to the controls because they all have them.  On the occasion that the wind does come up, and here in Cody, Wy, it does, you can still control the plane and get it on the ground safely.  Its interesting to switch it on and off just to see the difference.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

This has been my experience as well. My pilot friends were amazed how well my Spitfire flew in gusty winds the other day. I have gyros in just about all my planes now, some A3L's and some Eagle Tree (jets).

Comment

Guys , I only need to use this gyro for the rudder to keep the plane straight during take off. Can I leave the ail and elev unconnected? I ask because the manual seem to indicate that all 3 servos must be connected. tks

Comment

I have been wanting to test this theory myself, if you can't do it on the A3-L or A-3 Six Axis I will let you know soon. If not the Super II allows you to adjust the Gain for each control surface individually so you could go to 0% on the Aileron and Elevator. Then find the right Gain setting on the Rudder and set it, once airborne you could turn off the gyro. It would not be necessary for landing but you could turn it on for that as part of the landing sequence. Will check this out tonight and get back to you shortly.

Comment

That's interesting, I just add a little right rudder rudder to take off.  Personally, I think you may be doing a disservice to yourself if you haven't flown with it all hooked up.  I find that all my planes fly so much better with them on (I have 6x A3L's, two planes are primary trainers with their own stability gyros and one is just to tight to get one in.)  Some equate gyro usage with cheating, I think of it as if I went from bias ply tires (remember them?) to top of the line radials (Pirrelli P 7's).  SOOO much better!!!

Grossman56  
                        Team Gross!

Comment

I agree. Why not use the technology when available. I use them in all my planes so far.

Comment

I use gyros judiciously. I have an Eagle Tree Guardian installed in the Addiction plane . In HH uncommanded mode , it flies like it on rails . Easy to have horizon to horizon knife edge plus hovering is a breeze . I can even put the tx on the ground while it hovers. This was my first experience using airplane gyros and it really positive.

Most of my planes do not have Gyros. I prefer to fly without .

The Eagle A3-L was intended for my scale Tcraft rudder function to ease take off which is really squirrelly . I was just planning to use HH on rudder just for take off and turn it off once in flight because its so stable once in the air. I will have to T the aileron servos because the A3-L does not have dual ail outputs. Fortunately this is easily done because the ail servos are in the correct orientation .I do lose the ability to individually dial in each aileron displacement .

I made a small jig to try out the A3-L with only the rudder function . We'll see whether it will work properly without connecting up the elev and rudder servos.

Comment

It'll be interesting to hear, I guess it should work...

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

I tried the A3-L gyro with only rudder function connected on my test Jig ( which is simply a horiz balsa plank with a vert fin and runner ) and I am happy to report that the Gyro works ( rate as well as AVCS) like a single axis gyro , at least for the rudder. I tried it inverted and it function just as good.

Comment

Cool, good thing to know as I would assume that if that's the case with the rudder it would do the same with the ailerons and elevator if you wanted it to.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

It should work . Now its time to install the gyro on to the Tcraft. This gyro would be good for warbirds like the Spitfire .

Comment

I think with addition of the remote gain channel, I should be able to set both trim pots to a high number ( like 80%) and use the Remote gain slide control on the TX for gain control. Is this your understanding ?

Comment

Originally posted by sportflyer
                                        It should work . Now its time to install the gyro on to the Tcraft.   This gyro would be good for warbirds like the Spitfire .
                                        I am using one on my Spitfire!  Works like a charm.

Comment

My three Mustangs have A3Ls in them and they're great!  In fact, any plane I can get one into gets one!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X