X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Eagle A3L Gyro

Here is how you can put your gyro on a 2 position switch so it is just ON or OFF....no 3D. I did not want to use a 3 position switch for fear that I might accidentally flip to the 3D position, and that would not be good while flying my F-16 90mm.

Assign a 2-way switch on your radio to the mode channel, and set the end-point (on Spectrum that is "Travel" under servo setup) of the channel to left 100%, right 0%. Now you will have ON or OFF only.

Also, as another note, because the AL3 is only a gyro, and not also a stabilizer, you can face the pins either toward the the front or rear of the plane. :)

RE: Hobby Eagle A3L Gyro

thanks for the tip.  I tried to do that on my DX6i for the Pandoras, but I'd have to sacrifice flaps with a 6 channel setup.  I did try to hook it up, but it would only go off and 3D.  I see what you're saying though,  I probably have the settings at left 0% and right 100%, so by reversing that I would have got the sport setting and not the 3d, interesting............

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

This will make more sense after you watch the video. It's called "A3L Gyro Setup with DX6i/ How to make a 3 position switch"
      This is a portion of a follow up email I sent the guys at customer service.

"Guys,
      Here's the follow up with TWO position switch only. This being beneficial mainly to A3L customers who only want access to Normal mode and off.
      No mixing needed whatsoever if two position switch is desired. All that is needed to be done are my first two radio steps. Step one in Travel Adjustment screen nothing changes, same as before the default blank channel values are correct.[Flap switch 1 position Down arrow 100, Flap switch 0 positionUp arrow 100] The only change is in the Flap screen step two. Once in Flaps screen simply move the Land numerical value from my stated setting of Down arrow 100% to Land 0. "

Comment

I have the A3L and I was wondering if the gyro has to be mounted on the center line of the aircraft? I have mine mounted on the side wall of my Sensei pins facing aft. Just curios if that's ok? I have not seen that addressed in the manual or Motions video. If anyone knows I would appreciate the input.
        Roy B.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is, but check out Pilot Ryans video on the A6 gyro.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108
            I have the A3L and I was wondering if the gyro has to be mounted on the center line of the aircraft? I have mine mounted on the side wall of my Sensei pins facing aft. Just curios if that's ok? I have not seen that addressed in the manual or Motions video. If anyone knows I would appreciate the input.
            Roy B.
            That should be fine. It's not ideal as center is preferred. Try it at altitude.

Best wishes
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ
              Originally posted by boomer108
              Roy B.
              That should be fine. It's not ideal as center is preferred. Try it at altitude.

Best wishes
              Ryan
              Thanks Ryan, 

The reason I asked was I tried flying with it mounted on the side wall and it didn't seem to handle well. So I will devise a way to mount it on the center line flat. Thanks again Ryan.

Roy B.

Comment

I installed the HE A3L gyro on my Pandora using the Spektrum DX6 as my TX. When everything was setup, instead of getting a blue color light when it is on normal mode (gyro mode) I get a red light. All the servos are working on the right direction when I moved the plane. it is set to 0 on normal mode and 1 turns off the gyro. I set switch 2 off also cause I don't use 3D. I followed all the instruction on videos but still get a red light instead of blue.
                Gabzeek

Comment

Originally posted by GABZEEK143
                  I installed the HE A3L gyro on my Pandora using the Spektrum DX6 as my TX. When everything was setup, instead of getting a blue color light when it is on normal mode (gyro mode) I get a red light. All the servos are working on the right direction when I moved the plane. it is set to 0 on normal mode and 1 turns off the gyro. I set switch 2 off also cause I don't use 3D. I followed all the instruction on videos but still get a red light instead of blue.
                  Hmmmm...... :huh: maybe you should try to do it over again. Check that all the "mode" settings are correct. Did you set the travel adjustments as indicated in the first post in this thread?

If you try again to no avail, call the support # and talk with a tech.

Good luck.

Comment

I had that as well, now I'm using a dx8 with a three position switch.  Position 0 is red position1 is off and position2 is blue.  Now, since you are dealing with a two position switch, if I remember right, someone had gone into the values of the switch and reversed them, for instance, it the value of position 1 is 100% and you're getting red, then change it to -100% and it will give you blue.  Don't quote me on this as its been a while since I read it, but there was a thread on using the dx6i for this very thing.  Check out the list of Ryan's videos on You Tube, you might find it there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKObxglL8lM
                    Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

That is correct!

Comment

Originally posted by rcaviator
                        Originally posted by GABZEEK143
                        Hmmmm...... :huh: maybe you should try to do it over again.  Check that all the "mode" settings are correct. Did you set the travel adjustments as indicated in the first post in this thread?  

If you try again to no avail, call the support # and talk with a tech.

Good luck.
                        I had the same thing happen. Had the A3L gyro blinking red. I had the gyro hooked up wrong. The lettered pins (AIL ELEV RUDD) should receive the output from the receiver using the supplied male to male leads. The "output" labeled pins should have your planes servos hooked up there. Once I reversed mine it works fine now.

Comment

yeah, and a simple way to remember which is which:
                          think of 'AERO'
                          A (ailerons) is output one
                          E (elevator) is output two
                          R (rudder) is output three

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Is there a way to setup gyro when you have both Ailerons connected into separate channels, not on a Y harness. As I have FMS Zero ailerons on separate channels.

Comment

I do not know about the A3L; however, I use an Eagle Tree when I need this type connection. Perhaps the guys a Motion can help you with this one. Sorry.

Comment

There is only one port for the aileron. They must be on a y connector.

Ryan

Comment

I have noticed that when using aileron/rudder mixing the rudder throw changes quite a bit when you turn the gyro on, any way around this?

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

When you read page 1 of the manual you'll see the paragraph that talks about throws seeming maybe excessive on the ground, but how not to worry.
                                    Also the manual states not to utilize v tail or delta wing MIXES.

I would want to make sure that it's ok to have an aileron to rudder mix prior to flying. Wayne at CS seems to know these very well.

Comment

Thanks for input on Y connection Guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                                        I have noticed that when using aileron/rudder mixing the rudder throw changes quite a bit when you turn the gyro on, any way around this?

Grossman56
                                        My planes do the same thing but in the air no prob. I have two a/c with these gyros and love em.

Comment

Working...
                                        X