Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hobby Eagle A3L Gyro

Originally posted by Grossman56
    My three Mustangs have A3Ls in them and they're great!  In fact, any plane I can get one into gets one!

Grossman56
    So do I.  Flew my Spit today with one in it and we had a high cross wing.  The gyro smoothed everything out nicely during landing.  I highly recommend using these, especially in war birds. 

Comment

I'm going to try one of these in my Multiplex Funjet. It needs it at 150 MPH. Doc

Comment

I did finally bench test the A-3L & A-3 Six Axis with just the rudder and they functioned just fine. Hopefully later this week I will get a chance to test it on a Freewing "Old Crow". Like to try different gain settings and see what works best. Let you all know when I have some results.

Comment

I received a reply from Hobby Eagle technical support and they said its OkK use the Gyro as a single axis gyro.

Guys , did you set the two adjustable gain trimmers to max when you used the master gain control ?

Tks

Comment

Originally posted by sportflyer
            I received a reply from Hobby Eagle technical support and they said its OkK  use the Gyro as a single axis gyro.

Guys , did you set the  two adjustable gain trimmers to max when you used the master gain control ?

Tks
            No, I set the gain one at about 12 o'clock and set the gain two to 0 since I do not want 3D mode at all.  I set the gain trimmer (radio) to neutral and adjust as I need to using a slider.  I am not sure if this is what you are asking; however, I am giving you what works for me.  I can only hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
              Originally posted by sportflyer
              I received a reply from Hobby Eagle technical support and they said its OkK  use the Gyro as a single axis gyro.

Guys , did you set the  two adjustable gain trimmers to max when you used the master gain control ?

Tks
              No, I set the gain one at about 12 o'clock and set the gain two to 0 since I do not want 3D mode at all.  I set the gain trimmer (radio) to neutral and adjust as I need to using a slider.  I am not sure if this is what you are asking; however, I am giving you what works for me.  I can only hope this helps.
              That's exactly what I am asking. Since I use 3D setting , I will leave both trim pots at Mid position . Tks

Comment

Phoenix,
                I was wondering how the Remote gain affects the Trim pot settings. For example if the Gain pots are set at 12 o'clock, can the TX slider increase as well as decrease the Gain settings ? If so then I assume that neutral Remote settings means no change ?

Comment

Yes this is correct.

Comment

O.K. guys. I broke down and installed a A3-L in my little super hot Pitts. A little frustrating but I got er done. I have a question about the gain. If I turn it up enough to see it working, the controls become jumpy. If I turn it down, the controls work somewhat smoothly, but I can hardly tell that it is working when I move the plane. Where is the gain sweet spot? I can't get the controls as smooth as when I turn off the gyro. Doc

Comment

I would also like to know how the A3-L is set up on a delta wing.  Thanks, Doc

Comment

Hi Doc, I usually have mine set so the screw slot is at around 12 o'clock.  I also turn the 3D gain right off.  The controls do look like they're jumping but that's normal.  What you want to do is crank the gain right up and check to make sure that the gyro is correcting in the right direction, then roll her back to operating position (12o'clock, more or less, but its a good start point).  Then, make sure the gyro is turned off, take off and get some altitude and switch it on.  If there is any sign of strangeness, turn it off and land.  Recheck that the gyro is correcting in the right direction again.
                        If everything is set up correctly right off the bat, you'll see how much smoother your plane handles.  Its great, like I've said before, very crisp.  You can play around with the gain until you have it just how you like it, mine are around 12 to 1 o'clock.
                        You'll see in the instructions that it says that the controls will look as if they are over controlling, but that's normal.
                        Good luck with it, and by the way, just finished the repairs on Old Crow, because, like an old fool, I left the gyro on while taking off (which you can do once you have everything set up right) and the aileron setting in the gyro was reverse to what it should have been.  She did a great little war dance until she shed her gear and prop.  Dang gravity!!!!

Anyway, all is well now, and I corrected the problem.  One switch and boom, go figure.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Yeah, there is SO much to keep in mind. I think I will start with about 1/3 gain and work my way up from there. 12 o'clock looks scary on the bench, but I'm going to trust your experience with this. I did turn the gain completely off on the 3D pot. I wish I could put the gain on a 2 position switch, Norm. & off, but it seems to only do a 3 pos. 3D,off, and norm.  Doc

Comment

Yeah, you can't do that with an A3L, just manual adjustment, you can get the more expensive ones, but once its where you want it, you won't change it again anyway, so........

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Hi, Gossman. I screwed up. I meant mode, not gain, when I mentioned 2 switch positions instead of three. Doc

Comment

On most of the planes in which I've tested the Eagle A3 and A3-L gyros, my gain setting is typically nearer to 10 o'clock. It differs from plane to plane, and pilot to pilot. It is always better to begin with a lower gain, and gradually turn it up on each subsequent flight until you find the "sweet spot" which meets your preferences.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                                  On most of the planes in which I've tested the Eagle A3 and A3-L gyros, my gain setting is typically nearer to 10 o'clock. It differs from plane to plane, and pilot to pilot. It is always better to begin with a lower gain, and gradually turn it up on each subsequent flight until you find the "sweet spot" which meets your preferences.
                                  Alpha do you also use a master gain switch once you set it manually at 1000?

Comment

Hey Doc, if you have a three position switch, the 0 position on mine is 3D 1 position is off and 2 position is Sport.  Like I said, I just crank the 3D gain to zero and us the off and sport position. 
                                    As Alpha says, best to start low and add until its right for you.  They're really great!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Hi, Grossman. I took my sooped up Art-Tech Pitts out today (gyro added). UNBELIEVABLE! The difference that the Hobby Eagle Gyro  makes is astounding. I think it is even more aerobatic now, if that is possible! I'm very pleased, and don't feel I've given up any of my "skills". I have 3 of these, and some other planes that are a little testy to fly. Hobby Eagles all around! Thanks. Doc

Comment

Good on you Doc!
                                        I've been saying that every plane I have, with the exception of the Waco and the two trainers, has one of these in it.
                                        Got to thinking about the Waco and decided to take a second look and really see if there was a way to get one in it.  Believe it or not, I actually got one in!!
                                        Now its a tight fit, and access to the controls on the gyro are limited unless I release the double sided sticky tape ( I use some that I got from the LHS that is way stronger than the 3M tape that comes with the gyro), so I ran through the whole set up before anchoring it down.  Can't wait to try it, probably on Sunday as we have Wings and Wheels on Saturday ( a local airplane/car show, as well as R/C )
                                        So now I can say that I have one in everything.
                                        I don't think you give up your skills either, as a matter of fact I think it allows you to better develop them.
                                        Now you see what I mean when I say that once you've tried one, its not very often you'll fly with it off.
                                        I've switched it off for the fun of it and I can still fly as well, I just love the feel with it on.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

I totally agree with you Gman. I have every iteration of the Eagle gyros in all my planes. It is such a cheap investment for that added benefit. I did notice that one of my planes needed the gains set at 10 o'clock. vs. 12 because it was a bit twitchy. I have a DX9 and I exclusive use one of my 3 position switches. On planes that I don't want 3d I just set up the switch to have normal mode (no gyro) in the middle with the gyro function only activated in either of the other two positions. That way I don't have to think when flying which way I need to flip the switch, it's off in the middle and on in either of the other positions. The 3d function never activates because my radio is only programmed to go to the gyro.
                                          One of my planes is so light that if I didn't have the gyro activated all the time I would never be able to fly unless it was absolutely calm, and that almost never happens.
                                          What a great technological advancement that allows us to fly more of time with some comfort.
                                          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Working...
                                          X