X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
    I tried to get that look, worked pretty good using a silver Sharpie and 400 grit sand
    paperLOL I will try to get some better pics so you can see it better but it turned out okay, I'm happy with it.
    Can't even tell it's weathered in flight. This is the second filmed flight of my F-4, my son tried my wifes phone for the first time, he lost it on my vertical roll with a loop at the top but he got the take off and landing, this is yesterday evening at sunset. I swapped out the stock 9 blade for a better all around performance and sound, this is the 12 blade fan and 4068-1680kv motor on 6s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      So I am wanting to add some realism to mine. Looking at photos of the 1:1 Scat...You can clearly see weathering on various elements (below)...

Specifically I am looking for advice for the best way to approach the missing paint. I have seen various methods like silver or white paint...Just curious if anyone has a tried and true method you feel is effective. Standing by...

Click image for larger version  Name:	blog-110330-f-dw547-020.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	136648
      Realism. not something easily done in most cases, especially in the case of the F-4. Weathering your paint is a good static realism. In my opinion, and Aros mate, ya know how that goes. If you could figure out a way to get some black smoke bellowing out the tail pipe. This would add a touch of realism to these F-4 models I have yet to see. Phantoms were what we called a dirty jet. Lots of black smoke at low altitudes. Check out the link. This was the last living day of my dear friend, "Dave Zeuschel". I'm not posting this because of the crash, but take a look at the exhausts of the F-86 vs the T-33. The exhaust of the F-86 is a non stop black smokey tail pipe. Phantoms were a bit worse x 2. If you could replicate this it would add an effect of realism I have yet seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWUN5lZqeE

Best Regards
      Woody

PS Bit of back story, I had just refueled this plane about 45 minutes prior. Dave died because some idiot in a small Cessna couldn't wait to take of until after the air show. He just had to go, the airport was closed for the air show. So as things always seem to have it, when his turbine ceased, this ..ok sucker was on the runway taking off. Dave made a picture perfect dead stick approach only to have to dodge this guy on the runway which led to his ultimate demise. I know more info than ya needed. W

Comment

• Wow Woody that is absolutely terrible what happened to your friend. I hope the idiot pilot in the Cessna suffered severe consequences for causing the death of your good friend.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Very old news mate. But thanks. Did you tale note of the smoke coming out the tail pipe?

Woody

Comment

• Something I am working on for my A-10 that might work on this. I have places a small tank at the CG and fill it with chalk line chalk. I have a single 1/4" silicon tube running to the refueling port in the nose. I have two 1/4" tubes with the ends cut at 45 degrees and flush with the foam exiting the back of the tank run to the nauciles just behind the fan units. Sitting static, you don't notice anything. When it flies, there is enough wind pressure entering the tank and a vacuum created by the air flowing over the exit tubes to disturb the chalk which pushes it out the back, causing a slight exhaust trail. I was originally trying to figure out a way to create smoke for the cannon, but this worked out a lot better. Don't have the F4 yet, so dont know how much room is available. Will post photos of my contraption later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
              Very old news mate. But thanks. Did you tale note of the smoke coming out the tail pipe?

Woody
              Yes. That would be a very cool scale feature indeed! I know there's RC smoke systems but all I have ever seen is white smoke. I wonder how difficult it would be to make it dark colored?
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I once had the FMS 70mm F4 and smoked the ESC right over the field. Everyone thought I had a smoke system. Looked very cool. Unfortunately, I had to come around on a dead stick. She was a brick ! LOL
                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Yeah... usually black smoke = fire which isn't very compatible with foamies... Just sayin'!

It sure would be cool if someone could figure out a way to do it. But I think this is probably a pipe dream. (ha! I made a joke!) I like my afterburner, I think that's the bees knees. :f4phantom
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Nice!

Comment

• Got "The Office" finished, and the Nozzles painted & installed. she's all packed up, with the rest of the birds going to the "JAM". (sorry;No pics of the "cones')

Comment

• Looks great, Dlxpkg2000! Looking forward to see it in person. Got my phantom all packed up and ready to put in the trailer after work today. Sounds like there may be a good showing of FW Phantoms.:f4phantom

Comment

• I think we’ll have an entire fighter wing there...

Comment

• Here is a Collection of Action clips.

Comment

• Originally posted by rlcamden View Post
                              Something I am working on for my A-10 that might work on this. I have places a small tank at the CG and fill it with chalk line chalk. I have a single 1/4" silicon tube running to the refueling port in the nose. I have two 1/4" tubes with the ends cut at 45 degrees and flush with the foam exiting the back of the tank run to the nauciles just behind the fan units. Sitting static, you don't notice anything. When it flies, there is enough wind pressure entering the tank and a vacuum created by the air flowing over the exit tubes to disturb the chalk which pushes it out the back, causing a slight exhaust trail. I was originally trying to figure out a way to create smoke for the cannon, but this worked out a lot better. Don't have the F4 yet, so dont know how much room is available. Will post photos of my contraption later.
                              Rlcamden, Have you thought about black tempera paint powder? Might work great. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Itgordon00 View Post
                                Here is a Collection of Action clips.
                                Great flights, dude! The first section of clips seemed quite a bit less windy. What flap setting are you using on those landings, calm vs windy ? Also, what flight times are you getting from the 5000mah packs? Thanks!

Comment

• Elbee,

Would love to see and learn more about your black smoke mod. I have the A-10 and the F4 arrives tomorrow . Also have the A4, A6, etc.
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by toothbuzz@hotmail.com View Post

Great flights, dude! The first section of clips seemed quite a bit less windy. What flap setting are you using on those landings, calm vs windy ? Also, what flight times are you getting from the 5000mah packs? Thanks!
                                    There was a strong cross wind gusting to 12mph. I was using full flaps and landing with power. Last weekend I had even stronger cross winds and tried to land with pull flaps with too little power and got into trouble. Had a bounce and stalled it a foot or two above the runway and snapped my nose gear pin when i got blown into the grass. No damage otherwise. Half flaps with more throttle would have been the more intelligent option. BTW is use an Eagle A3-L gyro. With normal winds of 8 MPH or less I use full flaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                      Elbee,

Would love to see and learn more about your black smoke mod. I have the A-10 and the F4 arrives tomorrow. Also have the A4, A6, etc.
                                      Dahawk, I have not yet built the mod, though I am going to add it to my Phantom. Using ambient pressure with a pick-up tube is my thought, too, like we used to do to pressurize the tanks for fuelies. A pick-up tube both in the EDF thrust tube and outside the fuselage with check valves to an 8 oz or so fuel tank along with a servo actuating an open/close valve is where I am going to start; a simple setup. For smoke, I figured a mix of black tempera and baby powder and hope it does not pack in the fuel tank. :Thinking: If it doesn't work, I'll just say I have the upgraded J79 10b variant which came in the mid to late 80's to the F4J. As I recall we did not have that engine in any of our airframes. LOL Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Maybe used laser jet toner cartridges would be a good source

Comment

• Finally got my first three flights on my F-4 Ultra Performance... Wow, what an airplane. I had to reduce the control throws and on the third flight I shifted my batteries back a little and she is locked in now. I love the way this thing flies. It really locks in on final with full flaps, settles down and lands smooth as silk. Can't wait to get some more flights on her.
                                          PS, dropped by my Dad's on the way back from the field to show him (since it was painted to match what he flew in Cherry Point) and he got pretty emotional about it. He was amazed at how realistic this plane is. Great job Motion RC and Freewing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X