X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
    That looks awesome! What scale are you guys using for the F-4? I test printed an aim7 @ 1/11.59 scale. I dont have the plane to compare (yet mid-May ;) it to.

Well, I've run into my first problem regarding scale and this is the sort of thing you need to keep in mind when working with semi scale models. It turns out the controlling factor that I didnt take into consideration was the center to center of the rails molded into the fuselage of the F4. Even though I scaled the missile close to the models scale ( about 11.5) , its "wingspan" goes past the centerline of the model significantly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	126331

So now I have to decide whether to scale down the entire missile ( to about 1:12.5 to make it work) or cheat something with the geometry on the fins.

Comment

Maybe keep the current scale lengthwise and just scale down the width to just affect the fins? The missile body seems to be a perfect fit in the voids.

I noticed I get 2 different scale numbers when using the planes length vs it's wingspan. 12.38 in one direction, 11.35 in the other. Personally I'll be rounding out my parts to 1/12, but like you are experiencing, certain things will need more changes to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        Keep going on the Sparrow! I want to print a couple for the forward stations.

The sky really is the limit with this 3DP stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_040739.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	126215
        That’s looking great!!

Comment

This is for sure the coolest thread on the forum. Great work everyone, this is a lot of fun to keep up with.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Just working on the next Freewing release.

Bbaumer, you're finding the reality of how we scale our models --they're never 100%. We always adjust scale dimensions to achieve a believable degree of proportion. Wing thickness, intake size, etc all play a part in the influencing the final model. It's a good idea to draw based on 1:1 as a starting point, but ultimately, resizing parts against the actual model itself is required for a snug fit. Keep at it, though. It's looking good!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I can't find the actual length of the f-4d. I find the f-4e. It states its length @63 ft. I have been using that number to determine scale. 63'×12"=756" , 756"÷61.02=12.389, 1÷12.389=.08072. That is the number I have been using. So I scale the full scale down to this number.

Comment

Originally posted by bbaumer View Post
                Well, I've run into my first problem regarding scale and this is the sort of thing you need to keep in mind when working with semi scale models. It turns out the controlling factor that I didnt take into consideration was the center to center of the rails molded into the fuselage of the F4. Even though I scaled the missile close to the models scale ( about 11.5) , its "wingspan" goes past the centerline of the model significantly.

So now I have to decide whether to scale down the entire missile ( to about 1:12.5 to make it work) or cheat something with the geometry on the fins.
                Even at 1/13 scale, my fins overlap some as well. These are from the Freewing F-14 ordnance set. I can live with it though.
                Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                  Even at 1/13 scale, my fins overlap some as well. These are from the Freewing F-14 ordnance set. I can live with it though.
                  how long are those Pat?

Comment

Originally posted by bbaumer View Post

how long are those Pat?
                    They are 11 5/8" long. A little short for scale, but the body diameter (3/4") is perfect.
                    Pat

Comment

Here are the STL files for the AIM-7. These are scaled down for the length. Again I used 63' for full scaled Phantom that gave me 0.0807 X the full scale length. I don't like too much support on my prints so I sectioned them into 4 pieces with keyed plug / sockets for ease of assembly and to not be too long in the Z axis. So the only support they will require is inside the socket ends. Let me know what you think. If you would like my autocad drawings to mod or anything, Let me know.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking great ! What is the FS number for the F-4 interior color? I know all the German & US Interior colors from WWII, but not the Phantom. Thanks!

Comment

I switched gears from MK84 to MK82. Again I split the model in pieces to limit the printed support required for the model. Here is the STL file. Let me know if you would like the cad drawings. These are to the same scale as the sparrow above.
                          Attached Files

Comment

next is the SUU23 gun pod and centerline tank!

Comment

Here are the STL files for the AIM-7. These are scaled down for the length. Again I used 63' for full scaled Phantom that gave me 0.0807 X the full scale length. I don't like too much support on my prints so I sectioned them into 4 pieces with keyed plug / sockets for ease of assembly and to not be too long in the Z axis. So the only support they will require is inside the socket ends. Let me know what you think. If you would like my autocad drawings to mod or anything, Let me know.
                              What is your tip to tip dimension on the forward wings?

Comment

What is your tip to tip dimension on the forward wings?

Comment

82.3311mm or 3.2414"

Comment

82.3311mm or 3.2414"
                                    That should work, its about 3.375 center to center on the rails.

I'll probably run a test print later today, on fiine settings, my printer is expecting a 15 hr print!

I might be interested in your cad files if you're willing to share. Are you using AutoCAD and it's "stlout" function? If so, what is your system variable "facteres" set to?

Comment

autocad 2018 and I use the output function to 3d print. It opens another downloaded autodesk program when I get home I will post the name of the program. When I used the stlout function the prints look very faceted. round models look more like octagons. . As far as system variables, I don't know what that is. My units are set to mm, decimal.

If you are using the latest CURA you can select adaptive layers and the print time on this model will drastically reduced since most of the print is vertical. My mk82 went from 6hr56m to 3hr 20 minutes. the more layers without a horizontal shift the more it will reduce the time. by printing larger layer thickness. Without the reduction of print quality.

Comment

autodesk print studio > export selected > default file is .3mf > change file type to stl

Comment

• Yes, the octagonal look with stlout is controlled by that facetres variable I mentioned, it defaults to a very low level but can be kicked up to reduce that effect greatly.

I’m a little restricted in what I can do with my printer as it runs proprietary software that handles all the slicing and g code internally, which is a blessing in a lot of cases but not all.

Would you mind saving your file down to AutoCad 2013 level and sharing so I could tinker with it a bit?

Comment

Working...
                                          X