First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, I will do that this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
      Looking great ! What is the FS number for the F-4 interior color? I know all the German & US Interior colors from WWII, but not the Phantom. Thanks!
      I am certain the "official" color was FS 36231, then called Dark Gull Grey by USAF and probably the USN as well. I know I'm getting old----er, but I seem to remember most of the pit on the D,E, and RF's back in the mid 80's as rather a dark grey or black with the control boxes and instruments as either black or textured black finish. As a side note, the Federal Standard (FS) 595a colors catalog was available for free from the US General Services Administration which includes the color plates. Color plates are approximately 1" x 1/2". I have one with updates dated from the late 80's and I know I didn't buy it. I presume this would still be available. Best, Elbee
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by bbaumer View Post

Well, I've run into my first problem regarding scale and this is the sort of thing you need to keep in mind when working with semi scale models. It turns out the controlling factor that I didnt take into consideration was the center to center of the rails molded into the fuselage of the F4. Even though I scaled the missile close to the models scale ( about 11.5) , its "wingspan" goes past the centerline of the model significantly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	126331

So now I have to decide whether to scale down the entire missile ( to about 1:12.5 to make it work) or cheat something with the geometry on the fins.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well then maybe I don’t have a problem

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
            Sure, I will do that this evening.
            Hold off on that, I'm trying somethings with my own model and printer settings, but thank you

Comment

• Just finished the SUU23.

Comment

• You know you gotta do this with your plane now :)

Comment

• Who needs an A-10 anyway.? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                    You know you gotta do this with your plane now :)
                    I love it!

Comment

• And there we have it. A little glue, a little filler, and some paint and I think I’m good to go!

Thanks to apmech for poInting me in the direction of layer thickness, I learned a little bit in the process and cut my print times in half while keeping an acceptable quality.

I’ve got just a little tweaking to do and will share files for anyone interested.

Comment

• Here's some progress on "Go Navy"

Comment

And there we have it. A little glue, a little filler, and some paint and I think I’m good to go!...
                          Bbaumer, This looks great. An F-4 is a bit under-dressed w/o Sparrows. Besides you don't want to be a 'grape' up there. Best, Elbee
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                            Just finished the SUU23.
                            Looking good. So, you doing the centerline tank next? :Drooling:

Comment

And there we have it. A little glue, a little filler, and some paint and I think I’m good to go!

Thanks to apmech for poInting me in the direction of layer thickness, I learned a little bit in the process and cut my print times in half while keeping an acceptable quality.

I’ve got just a little tweaking to do and will share files for anyone interested.
                              Awesome! Looking forward to the file. Thank you.

Comment

• Ok, here is the file, I've set this up to be a full print, within a Z limit of 100mm which is a personal restriction of my printer

Note this file is in imperial units, and should be imported in inches) the diameters should check out to be 0.6933" or about 17.6mm

Other Notes:

I recommend using rafts particularly at the fins, and supports in the hollow areas of the cylinders and the bottom of the cone

I went with about 10% interior fill pattern, and this still weighs in at about 47grams in PLA ( but we all need a little nose weight anyway it seems)

4 fins forward and rear are included, but you may only need 3 depending on your mounting method.

There are no indexes include to align the sections, a bit of modelling skill will be required.

The fins are compression fit, and you may need to trim/sand/chamfer the edges to get them into the slots, depending on the shrinkage of your material and accuracy of your print.

If you are an absolute scale nut, this is not that, it's designed to fit well on this model and give the appearance of a full scale missile.

If anyone really needs or wants this broken into individual components, let me know, or the cad file is available as well.

Use at your own risk, and good luck!

I think Estes may make smaller rockets than this!

8.5 hour print, I'm seeing a few offsets, nothing a little prep work won't cure , I could have gone for thinner layers, but I think for their purpose these will be fine, and I hadnt done a full set print yet, wanted to prove the file was good to go

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	126937
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Looking good. So, you doing the centerline tank next? :Drooling:
                                  yep in work now.

Comment

• SUU 23. Came up with some better interlocking pins. .STL File is >5MB Zipped. Maybe I can send the files to one of the moderators and they can add them.

Comment

• 600 Gallon Fuel tank. I didn't have that good of drawings to go off of on this one. There are 2 stl files for this one and they are huge.

Comment

And there we have it. A little glue, a little filler, and some paint and I think I’m good to go!

Name:	sparrowstl4.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	126993Those look awesome! I just updated all my files with the 2 pin system. really lines them up good.... Now I just need a plane to put them on! :)

Comment

• apmech1, you should create a thingiverse account to host your designs. several people have been uploading parts specific for their freewing planes on that site.

regarding the 600 gallon fuel tank, I have one I made in 1/10th scale and confirmed via the software that it is sized correctly for 600gallons. you can download the file and import in into yours, scale it for reference if you want. Or I can export from solidworks to another format that you can use.

Comment

Working...
                                          X