Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More F-4 #DPup parts arrived last night, they are starting to ship out today if you've been waiting

Comment

• Just got my shipping notice

Comment

• Yes sir. Received the notice at 10:45....

Comment

• Woo hoo! Let the printing begin!
          Pat

Comment

• Just received the 3D parts from MRC... They are very nice!!!! Awesome Pat!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              Woo hoo! Let the printing begin!
              Sweet! Let me know what you think when you get it put together. I've been eyeballing the Mk3 for a few months now, but haven't yet convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

Comment

• Not exactly F-4 Phantom parts but I was able to help a young pilot out who broke a motor mount on his Xvert and Horizon doesn't sell spares. I was able to duplicate the part in Fusion 360 and print him some spares. Gave me a nice sense of accomplishment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180610_171558.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	136541

Just imagine the possibilities.....

Comment

• I have a MkIII that I received 3 months ago. I purchased the kit.... and it went together quite easily. The only difficulty I had was fitting all the wiring into the tiny box that they go in, all I could think of was "why didn't they make the box a bit larger". But the packing and instructions were absolutely immaculate (really well done) and I just followed the manual, step by step, and finished it in about 4-6 hours (I did it over two evenings). The machine consists of some high quality metal frame parts and motors, and all of the fittings are made of 3D printed plastic! They also included some extra hardware in case a screw falls on the floor and into a black hole. I have at least one of those in my workshop!

Prusa has some on-line videos on YouTube that walk through the kit construction, and also the calibration. The calibration was easy, and once that is done you can print immediately. I am using the SD card because I couldn't put the machine right next to my PC. It works perfectly and I've been having a lot of fun trying different things out. For example I printed two whistles for the Phantom. Now as far as using the printer, there is definitely a learning curve that you have to experience, as far as understanding the different settings and how to use them correctly (for example understanding that the orientation of the part on the build plate can greatly affect how it turns out.) Its also important to understand how to set the parameters to reduce the weight of the parts (detail, infill %, etc). I am still learning. But the machine works really well.

I have successfully printed a number of cool things, including the centerline tank that Apmech1 designed. (picture below)
                  And I have gone through an entire roll of filament!

One positive about purchasing the kit (instead of a ready-to-use unit) is that since I put the machine together from parts, I know exactly how it works. And how to replace parts on it if I need to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_095825_resized.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	136689
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Just received my 3D exhaust nozzles from Motion. They look like they just slide over the existing foam nozzles as they have a flange at the rear --- correct ?

Comment

• In the video I have seen of them getting installed, the existing nozzles are slit front to back and peeled off. Then the new ones are glued on in their place with the notch lining up accordingly.

Comment

• Thanks, that is correct. I forgot to mention cutting the existing plastic exterior from the foam interior first --- I did it with a razor blade. Fit is fine, now I have to paint them before attaching --- not my best skill !

Comment

• OK, the Prusa is all together, probably about 10 solid hours of build time over the past 3 nights. And although it was somewhat time consuming to assemble, it went together extremely well without issue. The online Prusa build guide (which is interactive by the way, allowing members to post comments at each step) was extremely helpful. All that's left is to calibrate it, then start printing! I've already downloaded several STL files (thanks apmech1 and DirtyDee!) and can't wait to get started!
                          Pat

Comment

• Good job Pat, looks great! Is your roll of filament hanging off the side of the mount there?

Print a couple of small items first, that will get you into the groove and familiarize yourself with how to arrange the parts on the build plate, move them around and play with supports and stuff. The way the item is oriented can play a really big part in how long it takes to print, and how it turns out.
                            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Prusa made an update to the spool holder, you can now load up two spools on it. I guess it's so that if you want to change colors, the spool is already there, just remove the filament from one and put in the other.
                              Pat

Comment

Prusa made an update to the spool holder, you can now load up two spools on it. I guess it's so that if you want to change colors, the spool is already there, just remove the filament from one and put in the other.
                                That's sounds really handy! Its great that they continue to improve this product. Sadly, I will have to change mine out one at a time, the old fashioned way. Old and busted VS new hotness! :Clown:

I've had very good results (used almost one roll so far) but I've read that its best to keep the reels in a bag with a desiccant, because the filament can absorb moisture over time. The quality of the filament can greatly affect the way the parts turn out. So I've been told.... I guess the secret is to use the roll up before it can go bad!! Yeeha!

Comment

• At some point I plane to get the multi-material upgrade. It can print up to 5 materials in a single print!

Pat

Comment

• Printer is calibrated and test prints successful. Printing up some ordnance and F-4 3DPUP files now!
                                    Pat

Comment

• The Prusa did an awesome job on the nozzles! Printed them nozzle end down and used supports to get the detail. I've got one painted, doing the other tonight and installing. I used Model Masters Steel on the collar, and Gunmetal on the exhaust.
                                      Pat

Comment

The Prusa did an awesome job on the nozzles! Printed them nozzle end down and used supports to get the detail. I've got one painted, doing the other tonight and installing. I used Model Masters Steel on the collar, and Gunmetal on the exhaust.
                                        Looks great Pat!

Comment

• Anyone with a 3D printer interested in making a swap? I can make a drag chute for a set of Freewing F-4 nozzles and cockpit upgrade. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X