X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    It is mounted vertically on the back side of the ledge. The wires to the gyro kinda cover it. I finished card-stocking the cockpit and pilots chair so she is all done and ready for the weather to warm up. Now I have two new jets to maiden.

Click image for larger version Name:	20180104_223514.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.7 KB ID:	111666

That's ok. This cold weather will give me time to pet them and love on 'em a bit. LOL Bill, thanks again for the tip about the weight in the nose cone. It balances perfectly as is with the weight removed and two Admiral 4S 5000 Pro's. It would have been big time nose heavy and I hate adding dead weight to planes.
    3 if you count the eventual F4....

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post

3 if you count the eventual F4....
      I'm hopeful.

Comment

• He tweets, he hoots and he warns about Crooked Hillary.

Comment

• It looks like I'll have to trim the plastic cheater grate to fit the 150a hobbywing esc. The large caps on top of the esc wont allow the grate to sit flush on the fuselage. Still waiting for the fan unit. Tracking says it has left customs in New York, and on its way to Fla.

Comment

• Got the fan unit today ! Only 7 days from Hong Kong. If you look at the pics, you can see how the esc is too tall to let the cheater grate sit flush with the bottom of the fuselage. I will also have to extend the wires to reach the motor. Under my speed brake, I found this flimsy white plastic cover tack glued to the fuselage. I'm not going to put that back on. I want to install my gyro under there. There is already a hole that the hobby eagle gyro fits perfectly.

Comment

• Little addition to my F-15. Spent a lot of time feeding aluminum tape! Also managed 4 Vortex Howler whistles. Looking forward to getting this up (when it's not 2* outside).

Comment

• Looks good! I'll be doing the same if the lights ever get here.

Comment

• Hey guys,
                  Dumb question here..
                  I have the stock pro PNP with the separate UBEC. Never had a separate UBEC before. I'm assuming it's to power my receiver? Any issues with it on the stock 6s setup? I see a lot of people changing it out with 8s setups.
                  Thank you for any help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatbob View Post
                    Hey guys,
                    Dumb question here..
                    I have the stock pro PNP with the separate UBEC. Never had a separate UBEC before. I'm assuming it's to power my receiver? Any issues with it on the stock 6s setup? I see a lot of people changing it out with 8s setups.
                    Thank you for any help!
                    The reason you see people swapping them out on 8s setups is that the stock BEC was not designed to operate above 6s voltage
                    Just plug your's into the battery port on your receiver.
                    My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• No dumb questions.... When going from 6S to 8S many 8S and up capable ESC's don't have an internal BEC built in so it is necessary to have a separate BEC or some other suitable power source for the receiver if that is the case. I have an 8S setup but the Castle Creations Talon 120 HV ESC I am running does have an internal BEC so I am using it. If your set up has a separate BEC it may be because the ESC doesn't have one internal, or it may not have been powerful enough for all the loads so a bigger one was needed.

Comment

• Thank you guys !!

Comment

• I trimmed the cheater grate to allow it to sit flush around the esc. Have a question though....anyone know what size afterburner rings will fit in the nozzles ? The 64mm size from rc castle are 75mm outer dia. but the inside dia. of the nozzles is 69.36mm so those won't work.

Comment

• Bill (urrl) should know what works.

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
                              I trimmed the cheater grate to allow it to sit flush around the esc. Have a question though....anyone know what size afterburner rings will fit in the nozzles ? The 64mm size from rc castle are 75mm outer dia. but the inside dia. of the nozzles is 69.36mm so those won't work.
                              I actually used the 90mm and cut out some of the foam behind the fan. Doesn't seem like there's any airflow restriction based on placement. I could get some pictures if you'd like.

Comment

• It never occurred to me to put a single ring behind the fan. Sure would make wiring a whole lot easier. I like that idea ! Yes. Please post some pics of your mod .

Comment

• I'm out of town until Tuesday but I'll try to get some pics up next week. Hopefully I'm not berated for restricting airflow (had to adjust the height of my whistles as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatbob View Post
                                    Hey guys,
                                    Dumb question here..
                                    Thank you for any help!
                                    That is a legit question....

People switch to 8s for other reasons. Not the UBEC.The UBEC is used for powering the RX which in turn powers the servos, retracts and lights on the plane. The stock one has worked great on my F-104 for over a year now. I use the ZTW 10amp UBEC in my plane since I have a different ESC than stock.
                                    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I trimmed the cheater grate to allow it to sit flush around the esc. Have a question though....anyone know what size afterburner rings will fit in the nozzles ? The 64mm size from rc castle are 75mm outer dia. but the inside dia. of the nozzles is 69.36mm so those won't work.
                                      I did the same sort of thing on my F-15 since I used a much larger than stock esc.

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I'm wondering if I can get away with using a pair of the admiral 40c 4s 5000's in my 8s setup instead of the 60c pro packs. the 40c batteries weigh 482 grams, and the 60c ones weigh 500 grams. But the 60c have 10awg wire, and the 40c 12awg wire. Any thoughts ?

Comment

I'm wondering if I can get away with using a pair of the admiral 40c 4s 5000's in my 8s setup instead of the 60c pro packs. the 40c batteries weigh 482 grams, and the 60c ones weigh 500 grams. But the 60c have 10awg wire, and the 40c 12awg wire. Any thoughts ?
                                          You'l see slightly lower max power. Not much. (hard to measure without a wattmeter)

I have been running 25C packs in my Freewing F-14 with no issues.

With the lighter wire you'll have to pay careful attention to the solder joints between wire and the connectors. On a 12S 105 amp model I dodn't pre-test one set of packs and the power through the wire melted a flawed solder joint resulting in loss of power appx 20 ft altitude on takeoff. (fortunately I use a separate battery for RX, not a UBEC for anything 6S or higher, so I had control for a fast landing)
                                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                          X