X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
    Is there no one flying this bird? Considering getting one but not much to read about it. Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks!
    Can fly on the minimal radio they say it needs.
    Don't try it if you are not EXPERT level.
    Splitting off the flaps, ailerons, tailerons (just use the horizontal stabs as mixed elevator ailerons) from the multifunction board and developing a mix that locks ailerons and flaps in neutral while the wings are swept is recommended.

Wings swept, if the flaps come down you strip servos or rip the flaps off. If flaps are down and the wings sweep back it will rip the flaps off or jam the sweep system.

Scale would be to not have the ailerons on the wings act as ailerons at all, just extensions of the flaps at slightly lower deflection angle.

So, i did a lot of playing around and got it set up on my DX-18.

Then I decided to repaint for better visibility so right now the wings are off. I'm going for a NASA paint scheme with orange wings and tail-planes. Unfortunately the paint chosen isn't hiding the grey so I have to strip the whole airplane.

It is not super fast. Maybe 110 mph (I will know when I install telemetry)
    Its a heavy bird and likes you to maintain airspeed.
    I suspect that I can open the "cheater holes" (louvers in the belly toward the middle) and get better power for takeoff. Also I KNOW that Castle ESCs with updated firmware will improve the power.

One change at a time... might be a while before I change ESCs and then open the holes.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• mines in repair..accidently landed upside down....
      www.TSHobbies.com
      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
        mines in repair..accidently landed upside down....
        :saywha I hate landing like that,,,,,

Comment

• FH, sounds like it can be kinda doggy hunh?

Comment

• Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
            FH, sounds like it can be kinda doggy hunh?
            Not doggy...

Just not one of the easiest planes to deal with especially without advanced computer functions to help prevent accidentally doing something that can damage the model without it even flying.

Like: during setup, disconnect ailerons and flaps from the RX or multi-function board until the wing sweep is working so yo can spread the wings. THEN connect the flaps and ailerons and do the adjustments. (center them, adjust travel range and direction) If you connect all the servos then power on the RX without doing it this way, you might have the wings sweep back as the flaps drop.

It carries around batteries that are a large percentage of total RTF weight. There's that heavy wing sweep system, retracts and EDF units that all contribute to it being quite heavy compared to any similar wing area sport model. And its heavy compared to many EDF models. Because its heavy, it needs more airspeed.
            (Maintain thy airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee)

Roll rate with wings swept can be amazingly fast. Wings extended it can roll at a good rate.

There's an interaction of the ailerons with the tail-planes when the wings are swept and its just best to eliminate it by locking the ailerons in neutral when the wings are swept. It makes the aircraft more predictable.

Color scheme does exactly what that grey and white were designed for. It can just about disappear against clouds. Changing to the NASA scheme will make it much easier to keep track of where it is and what way its pointed.

These big heavy EDF models drain batteries fast, especially if you keep it at full power When you hit LVC, you don't have much reserve at lower throttle to stretch the glide to get back to the runway.

If you are prepared for the issues associated with the aircraft its a good flying model that impresses the spectators and most of the other RC pilots at the field.
            If you are unprepared, it won't last long.

I am CONSTANTLY tweaking my models seeing how to improve performance and with a plane like the F-14, more power is almost enough. Making the fans work better at low airspeed (if what I plan to do actually makes them work better) would shorten takeoff run and might improve maximum speed. It needs every bit of 200 ft of pavement to lift off without a headwind to help.
            100-110 mph is plenty fast for the plane to give a good scale flight with decent aerobatics.

I believe I posted the DX-18 mix plan I used on the MotionRC site in the reviews section for the airplane. Its been a while.

Comment

• I'm putting my F-14 back together despite it needing the paint stripped. Its not looking too bad put together and from > 5 ft. But it will get stripped to bare foam then done right.

I'm installing the Spektrum Telemetry system and since the pitot tube on the nose likes coming loose, I am putting the telemetry pitot tube into the nose to replace it.
              (DX-18 with voice)

The telemetry will be reporting:
              Airspeed,
              RPM (on one EDF)
              Temperature (will be placed between a pair of 3S cells)
              RX voltage

Initially setting the airspeed to read out every 30 sec if between 35 mph and 100 mph and 5 sec if above or below (until I get a flight in and find out where it stalls and level flight max speed)
              Battery temp alarm I'll start at 120 F

Comment

• Need to make a decision, do I buy another F-14 after selling my first one for no reason really, or wait for an F-4 that I have been hearing about that is maybe in the works down the road...........hmmmmmmmmmm...????

Tell me why I should buy another F-14....:)

Comment

• FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    Need to make a decision, do I buy another F-14 after selling my first one for no reason really, or wait for an F-4 that I have been hearing about that is maybe in the works down the road...........hmmmmmmmmmm...????

Tell me why I should buy another F-14....:)
                    The main question you should be asking yourself is which jet would you actually enjoy flying the most for its unique flight characteristics and not just for looks. The F-14 and the F-4 are two different animals.

Here is a good video discussion of the F-14's flight envelope that has been in development for the past 3 years for the Digital Combat Simulator that will be out next year. It will be the most accurate simulation ever created of an F-14.
                    By the way the F-4E Phantom was recently announced for development for DCS but it will be at least 2 years before it will be ready.

Comment

• Thanks for the video but I have flown both and know how they fly, I was just joking around about if I should buy another Freewing F-14, was hoping someone would chime in a talk me out of it......:)

Comment

• Swing wing brackets cracked.
                        Went to assemble my F14 the other night and this is what happened. I barely tightened the screws for the swing wing mechanism. What’s weird is they were fine when I assembled them but the next night the brackets were cracked.

Comment

• ...I will be reading through this thread with delight, making sure when the time comes to maiden I will be fully versed. And oh yes, make no mistake, she will be a Jolly Rodger!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                            ...I will be reading through this thread with delight, making sure when the time comes to maiden I will be fully versed. And oh yes, make no mistake, she will be a Jolly Rodger!
                            Nice............Xmas three weeks late but it came LOL
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Indeed!! LOL
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

...I will be reading through this thread with delight, making sure when the time comes to maiden I will be fully versed. And oh yes, make no mistake, she will be a Jolly Rodger!
                                If your a big F-14 fan, you will love this jet. I'm not a big fan of the F-14 but I bought one anyway, flew it 5 flights and sold it, bought another one later, flew it 12 flights and sold it too, my Futaba 7 ch radio just didn't have enough mixes to get the wing sweep mode smooth, didn't want to buy another radio right now and I'm just not a big fan of the F-14 anyway, it does fly good but requires a lot of testing to get it right, expect to run some batteries through it, landings are easy, full flaps and carry some power and you can grease the cat right in, flies heavy though, watch the sink rate. Both of mine flew great right from the build, one did have a timing issue, wiring is a mess until you get it all cleaned up and figure out what goes where. Enjoy your F-14 and you will find yourself humming the TopGun songs when you take it out...........:)

Comment

• Thanks for the info! Yeah I am not looking forward to the wiring part of the build...
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Just take all of the wires out and untangle them. Then sort in groups until it is a beautiful mess. I removed all the paper tags and used a silver Sharpie to label each connector end. Then a few well placed tie wraps and some heat shrink and you are in business.... I removed the factory 8amp BEC and added a Castle Creations 20 amp Pro BEC. Also an A3-L gyro. With a Spektrum 9 channel receiver....

Comment

• I made a whole set of custom wires to tidy mine up since I mounted my receiver further back under the center cover. I wasn't huge fan of the F-14 but I wanted something unique and it sure is fun, a great flyer and a crowd pleaser.

Comment

congratulations mate, you certainly are making a good start to 2018 with the big plane purchases!! :)

Comment

• Congrats Aros! Have fun with the new jet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X