Roban - World Class Scale Helicopters

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Evan D
    I'll fly anything

    • Jan 2016
    • 5401
    • Charlotte
    • Send PM

    #6081
    I flew my 7 year old C model yesterday, still in mint condition and flying awesome.

    Comment

    • jetpltrich
      I fly with gyros!
      • Dec 2021
      • 155
      • Somewhere in east Texas
      • Send PM

      #6082
      Originally posted by GliderGuy
      I attended a talk by Chuck Yeager years ago. He was discussing the instability designed into modern fighters to make them extremely agile.

      He said (about the ship he was discussing…some F-xx fighter and I think it was the F-18);

      Paraphrasing:
      - There are redundant flight control computers. If they fail, you punch out. It is impossible to manually control the fighter. If you try to manually fly it, you will have success for only a VERY few seconds. -

      ​​​​​​—GG
      In my initial class at Southwest Airlines the senior member of the class was a former Navy pilot who flew F-18's. He had a complete ADFCS failure of after launch off a carrier in an F-18A and managed to fight the plane to a shore station, I think NAS Norfolk. If I can find the story I will share.

      Rich

      Comment

      • Airguardian
        Post Stall Svengali

        • Aug 2020
        • 1671
        • Catalonia
        • Send PM

        #6083
        I'd love to read that!

        Comment

        • Hugh Wiedman
          Demolition Pilot

          • Jan 2018
          • 2700
          • Miami
          • Send PM

          #6084
          Since converting/purchasing 90mm EDF's to 8S and using SMC HiV packs, the increased thrust/heat has really started to affect the exhaust nozzles and they are exhibiting extreme heat discoloration!
          😇

          Just messing around to see if I can get the heat staining somewhat in the ballpark. Got a long way to go and definitely need more practice, so I'm telling my CO that I must buy more EDF's to further my research! 😏

          She hasn't "bought" the argument yet, so if there's a sale, I can "save" money like she does on thousands of dresses, purses and shoes. My front door is a dumping ground for UPS and each time I hear how much she is saving, only for some reason, I never see a credit on my cards, only debits! Guess I just don't understand "Macro Economics". 🤑

          Seriously, I probably went slightly overboard (like the sinking of the Titanic), but I like to say "Go Loud and Proud"! 😎

          Life in the Fastlane, Don't it Make You Lose Your Mind! 🤯

          The 1st is my "Hopped Up" 8S F18 Canadian, with Tailerons. Ohhh Canadaaa, there goes Lake Ontario 👱‍♂️💪
          The 2nd is an 8S F16 V1, with Flaperons & Tailerons
          The 3rd is a dual battery SU-27, also with Flaperons & Tailerons

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_085411.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	452232 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_085422.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	452233 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_083733.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	452234 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_083946.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	452235 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_082537.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	452236 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260828_082458.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	452237
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

          Comment

          • Elbee
            Be humble...be approachable...and be credible.

            • Feb 2018
            • 4851
            • Wichita, Kansas
            • Send PM

            #6085
            Hugh Wiedman

            I'd say your CO might need a night out on the town.

            Wink, wink, hint, hint...sometimes a little bribary, flattery, and fun goes a long way.

            This is a matter of nat'l security after all, so we need those jets.

            Best, LB

            Ps: your heat staining is lookin' good, Sir.
            "I am having an extraordinary ordinary life."
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

            "Find satisfaction in the process rather than an outcome."
            ~Anonymous~

            AMA#116446

            Comment

            • Hugh Wiedman
              Demolition Pilot

              • Jan 2018
              • 2700
              • Miami
              • Send PM

              #6086
              Originally posted by Elbee
              Hugh Wiedman

              I'd say your CO might need a night out on the town.

              Wink, wink, hint, hint...sometimes a little bribary, flattery, and fun goes a long way.

              This is a matter of nat'l security after all, so we need those jets.

              Best, LB

              Ps: your heat staining is lookin' good, Sir.
              Thanks for the boost to my overblown ego.

              Great advice on the bribery front, though after decades of serving under my CO, and always receiving the same "Your such an Idiot" comment, I've finally learned and accepted my place in the Universe. Just want to be The Best Idiot I can!
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

              Comment

              • Elbee
                Be humble...be approachable...and be credible.

                • Feb 2018
                • 4851
                • Wichita, Kansas
                • Send PM

                #6087
                Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

                Thanks for the boost to my overblown ego.

                Great advice on the bribery front, though after decades of serving under my CO, and always receiving the same "Your such an Idiot" comment, I've finally learned and accepted my place in the Universe. Just want to be The Best Idiot I can!
                Well, you'll get no argument from me. ROFL

                "I am having an extraordinary ordinary life."
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

                "Find satisfaction in the process rather than an outcome."
                ~Anonymous~

                AMA#116446

                Comment

                • Hugh Wiedman
                  Demolition Pilot

                  • Jan 2018
                  • 2700
                  • Miami
                  • Send PM

                  #6088
                  After getting both my 8S F-18's dialed in with the best gains on the AR 8360T Plus RX, and trying out the new SMC V3 HiV 5100 (850gr), I have to say these have turned out to be at the top of my list for "easy" flying, smooth take -off on grass (thanks to 8S) and VERY easy nose up slow landings. Most of that is due to the programming of the Plus RX, but the 8S setup with a n incredibly powerful SMC pack made all the difference in the world. Never thought I'd be saying that about this aircraft when I first got the 6S versions. 🤗 It is now at the top in those three flight categories along with the 8S F22 (that was expected) and the 8S F4 (somewhat surprised by that one, and it flies just as well on a 5900 & 6400 😲). On the 5100 pack, I'm getting 6-7 minutes of aggressive flying. Always land when my in-flight pack voltage telemetry tells me I'm down to 3.75 V per cell. These high output, HiV packs are sensitive, but if handles properly (storage and never draining them too much), they last. Many have been abusing them, then complaining that they are puffing. Bone Heads! 😵

                  Unfortunately I only bought 1 of Danny's 8S V3 5100's as it was a replacement for the 4900, which I have plenty of. But the new 5100 blows even those away. Of course, they flew off the shelves early and they're out of stock, along with all his other HiV packs. So I contacted him directly and he found a couple spares hiding out in his closet just for me. Whoopi (and not the Goldberg kind!) Those are perfect for the EuroFighter, F16, F18 and F22, which total 6 birds in my inventory all fighting over 1 battery! I'm Back In The Saddle Again! 🤠

                  If anyone wants my assistance in setting up their F18, I'd be glad to help. Man is she quick and now solid as the proverbial Rock!



                  Click image for larger version  Name:	#4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	453140 Click image for larger version  Name:	#5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	453141 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210701_175246.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.0 KB ID:	453142
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

                  Comment

                  • xviper
                    Hobby Squawk Regular

                    • Jan 2014
                    • 8804
                    • Calgary, Canada
                    • Send PM

                    #6089
                    Rumour has it that a 12S, 110mm F-18 could appear in the New Year.

                    Comment

                    • Hugh Wiedman
                      Demolition Pilot

                      • Jan 2018
                      • 2700
                      • Miami
                      • Send PM

                      #6090
                      Originally posted by xviper
                      Rumour has it that a 12S, 110mm F-18 could appear in the New Year.
                      Mark me down for that Bad Boy! 😁
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

                      Comment

                      • xviper
                        Hobby Squawk Regular

                        • Jan 2014
                        • 8804
                        • Calgary, Canada
                        • Send PM

                        #6091
                        Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

                        Mark me down for that Bad Boy! 😁
                        Hehe, they'll sell 3 of them just to our small flying bunch.

                        Comment

                        Working...