X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NewbieBob View Post
    Wow I am so stoked with your work Hugh. Not only the looks but the way it flies. It seemed very well behaved . By the way when you used larger wheels did you need to modify the retract pockets at all?
    Something I have wondered about when going to dual EDF's If you had originally say an 80 would you gain anything by hoing with dual 64's or 70's.
    I ask in the event of space availability in a smaller airframe.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Regarding the larger nose wheel, the 2 1/4" just fit in with no modifications necessary to the pocket or even the strut. Regarding exchanging an 80mm with dual 64's or 70's, I imagine it would gain substantially in thrust but that's "above my pay grade" to know for sure.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Something I have wondered about when going to dual EDF's If you had originally say an 80 would you gain anything by hoing with dual 64's or 70's.
      Well, this would be a relatively easy analysis to make. I say relatively because one has to consider things like the ductwork on the intake and outlet side of the EDF. But for the moment let's say those remain a constant.
      Also, I'm going to use examples of EDFs that are easily obtained and reasonably priced. Of course, we can always find specialty suppliers who can provide EDFs that can give a tremendous boost to the otherwise "stock" sorts of products.
      A good unit in a single 80mm EDF would be something like the FMS "Pro" versions. Something like this can give static thrusts in the 3400g neighbourhood.
      Now, let's go to 70's, again in the "pro" versions of easily obtainable fans, not unlike those that many of us have upgraded to in this SU-30. Such a fan pumps out static thrust in the 2500g area, so X2, you get about 5000g.
      Now, let's go to a 64mm EDF, giving 1650g, so X2 we get about 3300g static thrust.
      I think you can read these numbers for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Comment

• Thank you sir....
        That is precisely what I was after.
        I tried to find the thrust outputs on a variety of motors and even the jets with EDF units. Icouldnt find them and was stymied. They seemed to be in that category of unobtanium.
        Appreciate your response.
        cheers
        Bob

Comment

Thank you sir....
          That is precisely what I was after.
          I tried to find the thrust outputs on a variety of motors and even the jets with EDF units. Icouldnt find them and was stymied. They seemed to be in that category of unobtanium.
          Appreciate your response.
          cheers
          Bob
          Best place to check for such information is at RC Castle. They list most of the commonly used and available EDFs for popular foamies, with all their static thrusts.

Comment

• Thanks for the tip XV. I'll put them on my home page
            as a resource.
            Cheers
            Bob

Comment

• Well, the dual battery mod is coming up soon as one of this winter's projects. So far, fixed all the busted planes from last season. Finishing up my F/A-18, then build my Mirage. After that is the SU-30's turn. I am hopeful that my small Coddar 6000's will fit nicely into that space. I also just received my 2 SMC 5300's. Their somewhat larger, so I'll see about making them fit first. If they fit, the Coddars will be easy.
              Whatever happened to that mod where the airbrake can be kept?

Comment

Thanks for the tip XV. I'll put them on my home page
                as a resource.
                Cheers
                Bob
                Bear in mind that manufaturers' thrust figures quoted are obtained on open test stands and usually with bench power supplies that do not "sag" like LiPos do. Installed values of thrust will not be the same, and depending on duct design may be considerably less. The 70mm FW F-16 comes to mind as having a particularly restricted main intake.

Comment

• Thanks XV . That makes sense. The application effecting the output . Definitely a serious consideration. Thanks for the reminder.
                  Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Well, the dual battery mod is coming up soon as one of this winter's projects. So far, fixed all the busted planes from last season. Finishing up my F/A-18, then build my Mirage. After that is the SU-30's turn. I am hopeful that my small Coddar 6000's will fit nicely into that space. I also just received my 2 SMC 5300's. Their somewhat larger, so I'll see about making them fit first. If they fit, the Coddars will be easy.
                    Whatever happened to that mod where the airbrake can be kept?
                    I'm sure you'll be happy with the Mod and you can fly it in the spring. The "older" SMC 5300's at 684 gr 43X43X160 should fit as they did in mine. The latest SMC 5300's are the HiV version and weigh in at 730 gr each and sized at 44X48X150. Just barely fits shoved forward in the modified bay, as it's a bit shorter in length but a bit higher in height. Don't really plan on using the HiV though. Best fit for me were the "old" SMC 4500's at 588gr and 46X46X141 shoved forward and flies a bit better on grass with less weight. No longer available and Danny's coming out with a HiV version that will weigh a bit more and be a little different in size so we'll see when those come out. If you have the "older" 5300's, they'll work but your Coddars might be even better.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Mod and you can fly it in the spring. The "older" SMC 5300's at 684 gr 43X43X160 should fit as they did in mine. The latest SMC 5300's are the HiV version and weigh in at 730 gr each and sized at 44X48X150. Just barely fits shoved forward in the modified bay, as it's a bit shorter in length but a bit higher in height. Don't really plan on using the HiV though. Best fit for me were the "old" SMC 4500's at 588gr and 46X46X141 shoved forward and flies a bit better on grass with less weight. No longer available and Danny's coming out with a HiV version that will weigh a bit more and be a little different in size so we'll see when those come out. If you have the "older" 5300's, they'll work but your Coddars might be even better.
                      I only have the 5300, HV from Danny. They came a few weeks back. I do have a pair of 6000, HV Coddars that weigh only 665g, but I want to make the 2nd battery compartment fit the 5300's. If it's too difficult, I guess I'll just use the Coddar's and consider charging them at the field after one flight.

Comment

I only have the 5300, HV from Danny. They came a few weeks back. I do have a pair of 6000, HV Coddars that weigh only 665g, but I want to make the 2nd battery compartment fit the 5300's. If it's too difficult, I guess I'll just use the Coddar's and consider charging them at the field after one flight.
                        You might get the HV 5300's in as they are shorter than the originals. I put a floor in my bay so it takes up some height and I fit it for the old 5300's. Without that floor, or even if I put it deeper, it would have worked, but now if I shove the battery forward, it just clears the speed brake "door" about 7/8 back, but plugging it in since my ESC leads come in front, is a bit dicey. If I flew off asphalt, the extra weight wouldn't be a problem but when the grass gets too long, even the 4500's labor to get off.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Spurred on by a couple of the fellas here, I've just finished my 2nd battery compartment mod. I opted to go from below to maintain the airbrake function.
                          It was a lot of foam excavation and one has to be very careful not to cut any of the wiring that runs through that area. Installed a battery strap, hatch cover and ran the battery lead out the top via the airbrake opening. Because the 2nd battery is over the existing CG, balance at that CG has been unaltered. 1st picture shows the SMC 5300 HV in plane. I'll also use my Coddar 6000 HV. 2nd picture shows it all buttoned down with a new ventilated hatch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	361744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	361745

True that this model has been discontinued by Eflite but I know that one of my LHS still has a new one on the shelf. I'm sure there are others out there that still have stock. Nevertheless, FMS has come out with their latest SU-27 and J-11 (see RC Informer). Both of these are nearly the same plane as the 30. The 27 is a similar blue paint scheme as the old 30 but with fewer decals and the 11 is a grey military version. Both can easy be purchased from various sources. A flying buddy here is waiting for his 27 directly from FMS.

Comment

• xviper nicely done, Sir. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Spurred on by a couple of the fellas here, I've just finished my 2nd battery compartment mod. I opted to go from below to maintain the airbrake function.
                              It was a lot of foam excavation and one has to be very careful not to cut any of the wiring that runs through that area. Installed a battery strap, hatch cover and ran the battery lead out the top via the airbrake opening. Because the 2nd battery is over the existing CG, balance at that CG has been unaltered. 1st picture shows the SMC 5300 HV in plane. I'll also use my Coddar 6000 HV. 2nd picture shows it all buttoned down with a new ventilated hatch.

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	361744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	361745

True that this model has been discontinued by Eflite but I know that one of my LHS still has a new one on the shelf. I'm sure there are others out there that still have stock. Nevertheless, FMS has come out with their latest SU-27 and J-11 (see RC Informer). Both of these are nearly the same plane as the 30. The 27 is a similar blue paint scheme as the old 30 but with fewer decals and the 11 is a grey military version. Both can easy be purchased from various sources. A flying buddy here is waiting for his 27 directly from FMS.
                              THE Quintessential Dual Battery Mod!!! Not sure what that word means , but well done xviper and I'm just a bit jealous.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

THE Quintessential Dual Battery Mod!!! Not sure what that word means , but well done xviper and I'm just a bit jealous.
                                I don't know about that. You're very kind. If not for you guys, I would have gotten a bit disappointed in this plane and let it hang even longer or let it go. I really like the plane but 2.5min. of flight time just doesn't work for me.

Comment

• Finally replaced the stock Spektrum 13gr A450 Elevator servos with the Hitec HS-5070MH servos, not that there was anything wrong with the stock servos. I had over 80 flights on them with no issues but heard of a couple people with stock servo issues so decided to be safe. I'm having so much fun flying this thing now after the FMS 1900Kv fan upgrades done some time ago and the dual battery mod finished last year that I wanted to make sure I had no other "chinks in the armor" that could cause a problem and the elevators were the only thing I could think of. This one has become one of my favorites, gets off grass fine and has plenty of power and with the dual batteries of SMC HiV 4400 or 5300, at least now I get some time in the air to enjoy it. It definitely has a certain "presence" in the air and being quite heavy, it flies rock solid and is great in somewhat windy conditions and handles crosswinds relatively easily, so it's getting a lot more flight time.

The Hitec servos are a good fit, same dimensions width and length, but it is a good 4-5mm longer in height, which only required some foam removal in the base of the servo mount. Additionally, one stock servo was a reversed servo, and the hitecs are all normal, so I was able to reverse it in the TX as I had already gotten rid of the y-connector when I did the battery mod and each elevator has it's own channel. I'm using the AR8360T Spektrum AS3X RX and almost forgot to go into forward programming and "relearn the servo settings" so the gyro would correct in the right direction. I noticed after reversing the direction in the TX, it corrected in the wrong direction, which would have been disastrous, and then I remembered about the "relearn" programming.

Name:	#21.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	374371Click image for larger version

Name:	#20.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	374372Click image for larger version

Name:	#13.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	374373
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                  X