Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can do that by adjusting the travel limits but that doesn't solve the issue that I need more travel to taxi. So that's why I went with triple rates.

I could move the nose wheel 90* for flight deck maneuvering but would never have that activated on TO & Ldg.

This all works because when the gear is retracted the nose wheel steering is disconnected.

Comment

• The circular vs linier movement is negligible around the center of the ark which is where the small adjustments are needed.

Comment

• I'm not trying to be a small ass but I think we all learn from experience and this thread is designed for that. I'm enjoying the process😉

Comment

• From an earlier post about difference in control surface travel. Check you trim settings. If you have 15% trim on a surface it will not match the deflection on the other surface.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider Tom View Post
            LEARN TO FLY THE PLANE. LIKE WE DID IN THE EARLY 60'S.
            In deference to your age and experience, I will put this as politely and as diplomatically as I can. I think that technology has come a long way since the 60's in what goes into a real aircraft and in RC model aircraft. Today's real aircraft utilize all kinds of tech to help stabilize and ease the pilot's burden when flying aircraft of all kinds. Small privately aircraft (planes and helicopters) benefit immensely from computer assist, GPS, dampened and assisted hydraulics, fly by wire. Larger, commercial aircraft also are benefited by computers, gyros, flight sensors that monitor and assist in flight control. Some can be detrimental (eg, 737 Max 8) but most are good and standardized (eg. yaw dampers). Some planes cannot be flown without these computer assisted systems that incorporate gyros, dampening systems, etc. So why not use them in RC models? These aren't the "60's" anymore. We have the tech and we should take full advantage of whatever is available if we so desire. That does NOT mean we don't "learn to fly the airplane". That just means we learn to fly them sooner and we learn to fly them better. None of it reduces our enjoyment level. Isn't that part of what it's all about? Even in the 60's, the advancements since the Wright Bros. were enormous. Did we reject those advancements?
            You use "rates" yet you scoff at "expo". What's the difference? All of us enjoy this hobby in many ways. Allow people to enjoy it in whatever way that works best for them.

(No offense intended.)

Comment

• I agree with what you say. However, I have been using what I have successfully for 19 years and have over 9000 flights. At this point I'm not going to invest in a new flight control system. I looked at a 16 channel system and there are too many variables and voice commands for me to have to think about. It took 3 different screens just to set up the basic D/R Expo functions. When I tried to set it up on the computer before downloading it to the Tx it took hours. I set up a new plane on my Tactic in 15 minutes. I have 3 Tactics ( I have bought two for back-ups.)
              In closing I have tried to help some new pilots with the Safe feature and I think it's makes it more difficult. When they switch off Safe they really over control the plane.
              The new technology allows them to takeoff and fly a few circles and ATTEMPT to line up for a landing but there is more to safely controlling a plane than that???

Thanks for the feedback and the discussion which is the source of real knowledge.

Comment

• Tom, I'm glad I did not offend you. I wasn't sure if you were referring to yourself when you made that quote. If that was your own creed, then that's great. I just wanted to state the other side of the story if you wished that upon everyone.
                I too, have spend numerous hours at the field helping other with their "safe select" programming and what you say is true BUT only if the programming and subsequent flight set up was done properly and in the proper sequence. Done correctly, it has allowed many, many newcomers to enjoy and progress into the hobby successfully. Done improperly and it only serves to scare people away.

Comment

• I used to do a lot of training but now with all the new technology. I am not proficient with programming them, so I'll talk them through the process and I felt that the TX D/R were set too high but safe mode allowed them to get away with it. So when they switched to less safe mode the plane became very hard to control.
                  I Think the instructions have them setting D/R Expo at 70 to 90,% instead of what is needed to fly the plane and since I'm not proficient with the programming I refrain from adjusting settings.
                  I think you're absolutely right about the technology helping but I've seen a number of new pilots trying to fly without any assistance.
                  The message from the manufacturers is: You can learn this yourself. So, after a few crashes they give up.
                  Hopefully they didn't hurt someone or destroy anything

Good talking with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider Tom View Post
                    LEARN TO FLY THE PLANE. LIKE WE DID IN THE EARLY 60'S.
                    A very arrogant attitude. Just because you wish to be stuck in the '60s doesn't mean you should be condescending to those of us who choose to progress. Do you still fly single channel with vacuum tubes and a rubber band powered escapement too, like I did in the 60s?

I've been in R/C since 1964 and have flown pattern, pylon, R/C combat, helicopters (when they still had actual spinning mechanical gyros on the tail rotor), gyroplanes, rocket powered R/C, ornithopters, floatplanes, EDFs and gliders but I also keep up with the technology which makes my models fly better than they possibly could with '60s equipment and attitudes.

Comment

• I assumed he meant flying full scale in the 60’s since he said he’s been flying RC 11 years. I stopped responding to him and deleted my suggestions.

Comment

• Flew the Vulcan today and overall I am very very pleased with it !

One thing that is puzzling is the control horns they used on the control surfaces. The outermost hole (where you get the best resolution) is NOT useable because it is larger than the other holes ..... and is not a good fit (too loose) for use with supplied clevises. I (personally) found the recommended control throws for AIL and ELE too high and too sensitive. I have since made adjustments in the transmitter to reduce the throws .... but use of the outermost hole would have come in handy to reduce the throw/sensitively.

Comment

• Correct, the larger hole is for aircraft that have ball links where the ball goes in that larger hole.

There is a reason.

If you want less travel move the pushrod to an inner hole on the servo arm.

Comment

• Looking at either the 4S or 6S Vulcan as my next edf jet. Already have the banshee, Habu sts, Rebel, Avanti S. Which one should I get ? See they are basically the same air frame, weight and size without the battery. Would be flying off grass and a cinder track. Thanks !!! Cary

Comment

• The nicer struts and metal gear servos on the 6S plus the extra power adds up to the 6S being worth it.

Comment

• Who sells a nozzle for the Vulcan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fozy View Post
                                  Who sells a nozzle for the Vulcan?
                                  Here are some that you can print:

Nozzles for the Freewing 70mm Vulcan sport jet. Set printing parameters as needed for weight distribution. Nozzles designated "b" are 1mm larger in diameter to better fit some fuselages.

Comment

• I don't have a printer.

Comment

I don't have a printer.
                                      wildvortex, ad in rcg classified electric jets

Comment

I don't have a printer.
                                        Easily cured.

Comment

• What is a good printer that won't break the bank if I wanted to get one?

Comment

Working...
                                          X