Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can, take the reverse thrust "option". I'd still like to know what this means. Why is it an option? Does it mean that you can go and buy a reversing ESC? You can do that with any EDF now, so not much of an option. Or does it mean it comes with a reversing ESC and the end user just has to activate it like some of the current Eflite models (eg. Beech D18.)
    If I end up with this and if it's available, I'd like to get the ARF+ version where I get my own fans, ESCs. There are way more powerful EDFs out there made by Freewing and even FMS. With a flying weight of 5 kg and at my elevation, I want it to have as much push as is reasonably affordable. Even though it's a closely guarded secret (and I don't know why), someone indicated that the battery compartment is smallish. More powerful EDFs may suck more juice, needing more amp/hrs.

Comment

• Today from Ralph:

Some nice close up shots of a sort of unboxing.

Comment

• And another from Solt:

Comment

• Apparently, Xfly's version of the "control box" on the B1 can prevent the flaps from being down when the wings sweep back. After the wings sweep forward again, the flaps come back down. Also, it seems that during the demo flights in Arizona, at least one of the prototypes was using a HobbyEagle A3 gyro. It also had one of the newest Lemon 7-ch stabilized RXs. Since you can't have 2 gyros in series, he was likely testing with them in alternating fashion to tweak gains, etc. You kinda gotta wonder why they weren't doing that with Xfly's own Pulsar gyro, which will come installed on the PNP models. Personnally, the one that came on my friend's Xfly Bizjet did not work and he gave it to me which I tossed in the garbage. Be very careful to do extensive testing if you intend to keep the Pulsar in any Xfly product.

Comment

• I really like the scale detail of the landing gear. I wonder how it'll handle the grass. I'm getting rid of a few of my old models to make room for the B1 and Eurofighter. 2 great early releases for 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
              I really like the scale detail of the landing gear. I wonder how it'll handle the grass. I'm getting rid of a few of my old models to make room for the B1 and Eurofighter. 2 great early releases for 2023.
              The front gear on this plane is the same as the one used on the Xfly Bizjet. A friend had one and when he drove from the runway onto the grass lip at the end after landing, the nose strut collapsed right back and required replacement. He never flew it off grass or landed on grass. It may be OK as it won't get that sudden jolt that occurs when hitting a grass lip. I've flown my Freewing Bizjet PJ50 off and onto grass and it has no problem with it but that's a different gear.
              The main gear on this B1 is a 4-wheel "truck" on each side, similar to the Freewing B2. This kind of wheel assembly makes the B2 extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get up enough speed on grass to rotate. The B1 may or may not have the same issue. Like the B2, this B1 may require some wheel modification (like removing 2 of the wheels on each side) to work off grass. Until someone tries it, you won't know for sure. You might want to wait till someone tries it. It's a very expensive plane to NOT be able to take off from the surface you fly from.

Comment

• xviper, Time will tell us all. Until then we are only speculating as to the good, bad, and the ugly.

I will agree it is expensive in comparison to models of 'yore' and what we are used to paying.

Once we ultimately have 'hands-on' this beauty, we'll KNOW about its' build quality, performance and parts.

Patiently & Respectfully, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  xviper, Time will tell us all. Until then we are only speculating as to the good, bad, and the ugly.

I will agree it is expensive in comparison to models of 'yore' and what we are used to paying.

Once we ultimately have 'hands-on' this beauty, we'll KNOW about its' build quality, performance and parts.

Patiently & Respectfully, LB
                  You getting one, too, LB? Mine will hopefully be an ARF+ if available and will come much later, so I can see how it is in the "real world".

"Time" often makes fools and liars of us all. (Can't recall what movie that came from.) It's a pretty good bet that this particular subject matter will do both.

Comment

• If my new club didn't have a paved runway I wouldn't have been able to get this model. I am thrilled, but I suspect a lot of folks will have to do some kind of modification to the gear to make it grass-friendly, or grass-capable.
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• xviper Aros I want the model, wish it were FreeWing, I certainly don't need it. Will wait until I get a full debrief from Aros Best, LB
                      Last edited by Elbee; Feb 7, 2023, 09:12 PM. Reason: The story was not important.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                        xviper Aros I want the model, I certainly don't need it.
                        Same here. I am fortunate that cost is no object, but space in my basement is. Right now the F-14 is more than enough complexity to deal with and I'm awaiting the new Eurofighter, so I'll wait for the time being. I do look forward to putting one of my Do-It-Yourself afterburner systems in a 4 tailpipe jet. It will handle 4 independently flickering tailpipes, unlike any of the commercial units. Up until now two tailpipes is the most I've used it with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWvH...el=JohnKallend

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Same here. I am fortunate that cost is no object, but space in my basement is. Right now the F-14 is more than enough complexity to deal with and I'm awaiting the new Eurofighter, so I'll wait for the time being. I do look forward to putting one of my Do-It-Yourself afterburner systems in a 4 tailpipe jet. It will handle 4 independently flickering tailpipes, unlike any of the commercial units. Up until now two tailpipes is the most I've used it with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWvH...el=JohnKallend

Looking forward to your "EU Typhoon" build. Always liked the look of that fighter. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Production has not fully begun at Xfly on this model. They are waiting for Solt & Co. to finalize "sample testing" data. Once they receive that, Xfly will tweak the specs and production process and begin. The estimate is approx. April to May for end of the first production run. As soon as the production is full under way, pre-order will be available at a certain overseas seller. I will order mine at that time if I still think it's a good procurement and if no other new model comes along that trumps this one (hear that, Freewing?)

I am going to stick my neck out and "guess" that sometime in May or June (give or take), the Banana boat will be loaded and head out to sea, making the west coast landing 2 to 4 weeks later, distribution a week or so after that. (So "summer" was a safe statement.) By then, I think Bitgo (and any other Xfly sellers) will be making a lot of ugly noises and we might see the "exclusivity" go flying out the window some months after that.

Comment

• Looking over this thread (just for fun) and a recap .................................................. ...........

Split elevators for "tailerons" ................. both sides are linked together and actuated by one servo. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could separate them, add another servo. Flights videos have since shown it flies well without tailerons. Not much worry about wings folding on hard maneuvers.

Aros was bang on with his prediction of price at the beginning of this thread ................... 700 - 750.

Evan D was pretty close about when they'd open up pre-orders ........... (IMO) Due to the pressure of people being pretty good at guessing some of their secrets, they got the pre-order going fairly soon.

Peoples' hopes were dashed when Banana wanted payment in full when pre-ordering.

Flap are automatically programmed to suck up when wings sweep in. Front nose retract very similar to the one on the Xfly Bizjet. Hobbywing A3 gyro and a new Lemon RX used during testing. Reverse is available but not caught on video.

Then along came this ..........................
                              https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/jets-...f-jet-pnp.html
                              Anyone could pre-order from these guys (France) right now and the shipping is free to most places and they do NOT take money at the time of pre-order.
                              Banana may say they have the exclusive on this product "in" N. America (IMO, for a while), but they do not have any exclusivity on selling "to" N. America. And we will likely soon see that when RC Castle starts their pre-order, much before the time the load of Banana B1's leave the factory for the ship yards (IMO).

As an addendum, everything stated above is FACT. Where it is my opinion, I added "IMO".

Comment

• It would appear from posts at the Guppy, this plane does come with reversing ESCs. The end user simply has to program it to activate it either via beep tones or programming card. It remains to be seen if the plane can actually be propelled backwards. All of my EDFs with reverse are able to be thrust backwards on a smooth surface - on grass, it depends. Makes for a much easier turn around on a narrow runway and it's a great crowd pleaser. Most people have never seen a plane, let alone a jet go backwards.

Comment

• Oh reverse functionality out of the box is the cherry on top to me! Personally it should be a standard feature for all new gen EDF jets. Good find!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• It most certainly is. It has been a game changer for me and the industry ever since it first arrived on the Eflite DRACO. Those with mile long runways don't care but most of us don't have that luxury and the grass guys don't need it. I try to target only ESCs with reverse now for all my jets. It's such a simple to add feature that I'm surprised that it took this long to make it widely available. It was a smart move for the Eurofighter as it is for this B1.

Comment

• (85) MAIDEN FLIGHTS by Xfly's Pilot • Xfly-Model B1-B Twin 70mm EDF PNP RC PLANE • (English/Français 4K) - YouTube

Arthur-RC posted these videos of the X-fly-s pilot's flying it.​​

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                        Nice find! Thanks for sharing and posting this here. I take it Arthur RC is in France? I just knew sooner or later, we'd see that there are others doing testing on this plane and that there are more than just the 3 "sample testers" we've seen so far to exist. This makes me believe that things could progress a bit quicker in the development and production process. It is also my belief that we'll see the likes of the FNRC guys to be the first "privateers" to get this plane and fly it and post vids (hopefully) and the rest of us will be able to order it ahead of the N. American arrival. Good on X-Fly for shining a bit more light on this subject.
                                        What a wonderful video. It shows a much more stable airplane. Perhaps it wasn't as windy there or they've got the gyro dialed in better. Rolls and loops no less and the wing sweep in and out seemed effortless. I wish they'd had done some thrust reversing but I think that part of the plane needs to be addressed. Those cheater holes on the inboard side of each nacelle need to be re-worked - something like on Freewing and Eflite planes where there is a directionally finned vent so reverse air can be directed more forward instead of just straight out the sides. Something I'll likely do if left unchanged. While I had some reservations before, I'm "in like Flint" now.

Comment

• With all the PR flying being done by the favored few, I hope they don't go down the same path as Freewing with the Mig29, namely lots of nice marketing video from the so-called "test pilots" but missing serious problems with the stab design, stab servos, and high alpha lock.

Comment

Working...
                                          X