Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ Agreed! With the exception of this X-Fly unedited video, I don't think the "PR" and marketing videos are over yet. The so-called "favored few" are still trying to sell, sell, sell. With 5 to 6 months to go, it's going to be hard to keep up the hype. It's just going to get boring and "plain jane" (pun) and maybe start to look like desperation. Pre-orders will begin to taper off quickly, possibly even buyers remorse and cancellations (IMO). Xfly would do well to get the usual FNRC, RCInformer, Petrincic Bros, RC Geek and others involved to build interest up just before the factory closes the first production run. Sales projections based on this far in advance (over)-hype don't do well. New stuff comes along and people "get over it".

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Nice find! Thanks for sharing and posting this here. I take it Arthur RC is in France? I just knew sooner or later, we'd see that there are others doing testing on this plane and that there are more than just the 3 "sample testers" we've seen so far to exist. This makes me believe that things could progress a bit quicker in the development and production process. It is also my belief that we'll see the likes of the FNRC guys to be the first "privateers" to get this plane and fly it and post vids (hopefully) and the rest of us will be able to order it ahead of the N. American arrival. Good on X-Fly for shining a bit more light on this subject.
      What a wonderful video. It shows a much more stable airplane. Perhaps it wasn't as windy there or they've got the gyro dialed in better. Rolls and loops no less and the wing sweep in and out seemed effortless. I wish they'd had done some thrust reversing but I think that part of the plane needs to be addressed. Those cheater holes on the inboard side of each nacelle need to be re-worked - something like on Freewing and Eflite planes where there is a directionally finned vent so reverse air can be directed more forward instead of just straight out the sides. Something I'll likely do if left unchanged. While I had some reservations before, I'm "in like Flint" now.
      Of all of the RC plane reviewers I like Arthur RC the most, no nonsense, great info and good reviews. However this is the usual release flights by Xflys pilots. Seeing them fly it makes me want one. It'll be a while, with the Eurofighter and a couple of newly assembled planes in my hanger deck I'll be busy once spring rolls around, in May, but maybe June for the snow to melt.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
        However this is the usual release flights by Xflys pilots.
        That's even better. That means it wasn't heavily "staged" or hyped up for promotional/advertising purposes.

Comment

• Yeah, that and their runway looks like exposed aggregate. Cheese grater.

And he flew it like they had another one in the car. Exactly the type of video I was hoping to see. An inverted high alpha pass down the runway would have been cool...

It looks fantastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
            Yeah, that and their runway looks like exposed aggregate. Cheese grater.
            With a speed bump near the end. If I hit something like that with my plane, I see retract parts go flying out.

Comment

• Ha, well maybe they really did have a second one in the car. Joking aside, that gear looks pretty different. And those wheels look the rock hard rubber variety. I wonder if those would be easy to swap or not.

Comment

• I've been in this hobby for nearly 60 years.

In that time I've learned to disregard pretty much everything written or posted about models by people who are getting freebies from manufacturers.

Comment

• Deleted so the scab can grow back.

Comment

• Remember folks, let's keep it civil...From all the videos I've seen lately, it looks like she's going to be a pretty easy flyer all-in-all. I can't wait to get my hands on one this Summer.
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I recall glowing endorsements of the MiG29 from the influencers (some of whom seem to have changed horses now), yet when the production version was released there was a hurried "service bulletin" about replacing the elevator servos - a problem that none of the influencers seem to have caught.

I reserve all judgment on new models until I see reports from actual paying customers with production versions. All else is marketing hype.

Comment

• Please no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          Please no more.
                          I'm with you.
                          AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I reserve all judgment on new models until I see reports from actual paying customers with production versions. All else is marketing hype.
                            I hear ya loud and clear! My first “vertical-got-to-slow” climb in the MiG-29 after a few flights that ended in a high alpha lock and a “way over there, way down low, just barely saved it” recovery is something I don’t ever want to experience again. LOL - But it was a great radio range check event.

I’m gonna wait for PIREPS (and I will need a new radio, too). Plus…who knows what MRC has up its sleeve?!

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              Please no more.
                              I'm done. I was done days ago. Of course, if he wants to pull on that scab again.........

Comment

• I will remove any future posts that are only meant to cause division or "picking at old scabs". Civil debate and discourse is encouraged but inflaming is not. Carry on!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yes little boys!,,,

Comment

• Recent video of the Xfly B-1B and Freewing B-2 flown together. Windsock would indicate the winds could have been upwards of 20mph. Considering the B-2 is best flown in calm (<5 mph), it did quite well and although the landing was not captured in the video, there were no crowd noises to indicate the landing was anything but good and the roll out into the pits looked like nothing bad had happened. If it was on the stock gyro, it looked like it did its job. Myself, I would not fly my B2 in such wind, so a testiment to that pilot's skill.
                                    The B-1 appeared to be a very "wild" ride, particularly on the landing(s). They definitely need to tweak the gyro better as it was tossed around by the wind. Additionally, the roller coaster effect made it look as though the rates/expo were "off" or the CG was not in a good place or again, the gyro isn't doing much. The landing (2nd try) was scary but as nothing appeared to come flying off, the gear seemed to handle it not too badly. Personnally, I'd like to see more flights in various conditions before putting my money down for one. Regardless, I'll get one anyway, sooner or later. I'm hopeful that Xfly will get it all together for the production run.

Comment

• Each time he was way too fast. Too much rate. Didn't hold attitude either. Gyro? Well maybe, but I seriously doubt it. Ya gotta get her steady on the mains and at or just above the stall. I think everybody gets that.

Winds or no winds!
                                      Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        ^ Agreed! With the exception of this X-Fly unedited video, I don't think the "PR" and marketing videos are over yet. The so-called "favored few" are still trying to sell, sell, sell. With 5 to 6 months to go, it's going to be hard to keep up the hype. It's just going to get boring and "plain jane" (pun) and maybe start to look like desperation. Pre-orders will begin to taper off quickly, possibly even buyers remorse and cancellations (IMO). Xfly would do well to get the usual FNRC, RCInformer, Petrincic Bros, RC Geek and others involved to build interest up just before the factory closes the first production run. Sales projections based on this far in advance (over)-hype don't do well. New stuff comes along and people "get over it".
                                        Well, all those impatiently waiting for several months for their delivery could spend the time making a 4 tailpipe Do-It-Yourself afterburner controller from my design. The program and instructions are free and it runs on an Arduino that costs about $8 - $20 depending on where you get it. You can make the entire system for about $30, and maybe 3 hours of your time.

Since I don't have a 4 engine model to use as a demo, here is a twin (the 4 engine version uses the same algorithms).

The ampltude and duration of the flickering are adjustable, as is the turn-on point and the way the brightness responds to throttle. You can make it look how YOU think it should look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUAX...el=JohnKallend

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Well, all those impatiently waiting for several months for their delivery could spend the time making a 4 tailpipe Do-It-Yourself afterburner controller from my design. The program and instructions are free and it runs on an Arduino that costs about $8 - $20 depending on where you get it. You can make the entire system for about $30, and maybe 3 hours of your time.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...DF-afterburner

Since I don't have a 4 engine model to use as a demo, here is a twin (the 4 engine version uses the same algorithms).

The ampltude and duration of the flickering are adjustable, as is the turn-on point and the way the brightness responds to throttle. You can make it look how YOU think it should look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUAX...el=JohnKallend

Since XFly didn't send me a demo model, I had to test the system using Dixie Cups.

The automatic exposure compensation on my camera makes the brightness change in response to throttle rather hard to see. And the flashing at the end of the video is the lost signal indication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUB...el=JohnKallend

The software and instructions are free to anyone interested. The parts will cost you around $30.

Comment

Working...
                                          X