Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 64mm F-14 Tomcat Twin 64mm EDF Jet Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 64mm F-14 Tomcat Twin 64mm EDF Jet Thread

F-14 Tomcat Twin 64mm EDF Jet from Freewing - PNP - FJ11411P

Click image for larger version

Name:	master.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	398628

Easily one of the most iconic jets in history, we’re excited to bring the new, officially licensed, Freewing F-14 Tomcat to market in a twin 64mm EDF size. Featuring sweeping wings, retractable landing gear, full flying stabilizers and a livery based on the Jolly Rogers F-14’s, this jet is sure to bring iconic Tomcat performance and scale detail to flying sites across the world.

While no scale detail has been spared from this plane, what you are really going to love is the way this plane flies. This plane has loads of power and a much lighter wing loading than typical planes of this size with this amount of detail. Normally, a plethora of scale details leads to a plane that feels heavy and slow. Despite details like plastic lined air intakes, detailed landing gear, full nose gear doors, pylons and weapons, LED lights, scale exhaust nozzles, antennas, pitot tubes, and more, this plane does not fly heavy. The wing loading is amazingly light for a plane with this amount of detail. This leads to easier landings. The landing gear helps with ultra smooth landings and the reverse thrust ESC helps slow you down (requires an extra channel to use reverse thrust). While flying, you will find the vertical is also fantastic. This truly lives up to the F-14 legend.

Leaving no feature unturned, with fully functional sweeping wings, full-flying horizontal stabilizers, ailerons, flaps, retracts and much more, you get a full-house functionality in a conveniently sized twin 64mm package that is designed to work on a single 6S 5000mah sized LiPo battery.
    Sweeping Wings

The Freewing Twin 64mm F-14 captures the iconic essence of the classic Vietnam-era warbird with functional sweep wing capability.
    Two 12 Blade 64mm EDFs

Powered by two 2949-2500Kv inrunner motors, two 12 blade EDF units and two 60A ESCs, the F-14 has plenty of power to explore a wide flight envelope (PNP version only).
    E20 Integrated Controller and 3/6-Axis Gyro

With the E20 Integrated Controller and 3/6-Axis Gyro the F-14 comes equiped with onboard electronics that help provide a more stable platform from takeoff to touchdown.
    Ordinance Included

Sidewinder, Phoenix and Sparrow missiles are included (2 of each) for an impressive profile both while in static display and in flight.
    Retracts with CNC-Machined Shock Absorbing Struts

Adding to the quality and scale appeal of this model, retracts with CNC-machined shock absorbing struts are included on both PNP and ARF Plus versions.
    Full Flying Horizontal Stabilizers

For added manueverability and agility the F-14 comes with full flying horizontal stabilizers, maximizing flight performance.
    Features:
    • Fully functional sweeping wings with rigid aluminum wing structure
    • 2x 12 Blade factory-balanced 64mm EDFs with 2x 2949-2500Kv inrunner motors
    • 2x 60A ESC’s with thrust reversing
    • E20 Integrated controller with 3/6-axis gyro
    • Electronic, retractable landing gear with CNC-machined aluminum, shock absorbing struts
    • Full-flying horizontal stabilizers
    • 6x Daylight bright LED lights
    • Scale details included such as antennas, pitot tubes, missiles and missile pods
    • Nylon hinges on all control surfaces
    • Removable, magnetic nose cone for convenient transport and replacement
    Includes:
    • Freewing F-14 Tomcat Twin 64mm EDF Jet - PNP
    • Motor, EDF, ESC, retracts, servos included and installed
    • Instruction manual
    Requires:Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL :14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL :Intermediate
    BUILD TIME :1 hour
    Wingspan 1250mm / 49.2in (extended)
    Length 1217mm / 47.9in
    Weight 2555g / 90oz (without battery)
    Power System 2 x 2949-2500Kv brushless inrunner motors
    Speed Control 2 x 60A with Thrust Reversing and joint EC5 Connector
    Propeller / EDF 64mm 12-Blade EDF
    Servos
    Landing Gear CNC-machined, shock absorbing, retractable landing gear
    Required Battery 6S 22.2V 4000mAh to 5000mAh LiPo with EC5 connector (required)
    Required Radio 7-9 Channels (9 required for thrust reversing & gyro)
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Ailerons Yes
    Lights Yes
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material EPO Foam
    Skill Level Intermediate/Advanced
    Build Time 1-2 Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

The jet looks great, but why does Motion list the F-14 as on sale from a price the item was never listed at? Will the price increase to $539 after preorders?

Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely love it! Thanks Motion-rc for putting this one out! I hope it will fly of a grass strip also! I just can't get that grin of my face 😊

Comment

Looking really nice, since the wing sweep is done with 2 servo's i imagine we could also set it on a 3 position switch so we can fly with the wings in middle position...

Hope to see it in the euro warehouse soon

Comment

Just saw the vid, as a 7 year owner of the twin 80mm Tomcat (with Jolly Rodger) this is absolutely incredible, and surprising, very well done, love the size and scale features, just 1 Lipo needed to fly is huge also! Now my Jolly Rodger won't be so special any longer at the field, I see you guys selling out of this one fast!

Comment

Ordered. I bet I fly this more than my 80mm. Size is just right for me.
            so is this a preorder or is it shipping now? If it’s preorder I must have missed it as I didn’t see any verbiage to say as such.

Gravy

Comment

Originally posted by didier n View Post

Hope to see it in the euro warehouse soon
              The EU order and USA order left the factory at the same time but it will be 3 more weeks before it arrives at our EU location due to the Red Sea issues.​

Originally posted by KevinMar View Post
              The jet looks great, but why does Motion list the F-14 as on sale from a price the item was never listed at? Will the price increase to $539 after preorders?
              $539 is going to be the normal price. We decided to do a special introductory price for customers who order early. (in stock, not a pre-order)

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
              so is this a preorder or is it shipping now? If it’s preorder I must have missed it as I didn’t see any verbiage to say as such.

Gravy
              ​In stock in the USA. Shipping now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

​In stock in the USA. Shipping now.
                Tom and Aros, do you have any measurement of the battery bay (specifically Height and Width)? The Admiral 5000 weighing 746 gr is 41X45X162 (and it seemed to just fit HXW in Wes's video). I'm wondering if it will accommodate the SMC HiV 5900, weighing slightly less at 740 gr and measuring 47X50X150. The SMC will fit fore to aft being 12mm shorter, but concerned with the H & W being 5-6mm larger. Shouldn't be a problem is my guess. No disrespect for the Admirals , but I'm now exclusively using SMC HiV in everything. I'm also guessing you'll sell the out of this one! Congrats on a sure fire winner!!!!!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I feel the need for speed!

Comment

Uh, where's the RIO?

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                      Uh, where's the RIO?
                      🤣🤣🤣

Uh, it's only an operational test flight after maintenance, front seater only!

Comment

Well,, Goose did die. And fortunately they do have rio's in stock.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on this one!
                          I wanted the bigger version but dual 6S 5000mah lipos take a toll on the landing gear at my club. I'm hoping this lighter setup proves to be more durable.
                          I'm hoping the smaller size still brings the presence of a Tomcat!
                          It could be a fun rig for FPV. Can you set the gyro "stabilize mode" to always "on" so I can use that 8th channel for FPV panning?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete914 View Post
                            Can you set the gyro "stabilize mode" to always "on" so I can use that 8th channel for FPV panning?
                            You can do pretty much anything if you're smart enough.

Comment

I have the twin 80mm but have yet to fly it. I can't wait to see it, it'd be fun to bungee launch if it can be done without any real modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Tom and Aros, do you have any measurement of the battery bay (specifically Height and Width)? The Admiral 5000 weighing 746 gr is 41X45X162 (and it seemed to just fit HXW in Wes's video). I'm wondering if it will accommodate the SMC HiV 5900, weighing slightly less at 740 gr and measuring 47X50X150. The SMC will fit fore to aft being 12mm shorter, but concerned with the H & W being 5-6mm larger. Shouldn't be a problem is my guess. No disrespect for the Admirals , but I'm now exclusively using SMC HiV in everything. I'm also guessing you'll sell the out of this one! Congrats on a sure fire winner!!!!!
                                Mine measures (approximately) 288L x 65W x 59mm H, but the front 55mm of the length, the height is reduced by about 10mm from the step in the canopy. The back section behind the canopy has the wires running back as well, so you lose 1-2mm of height there too. Some of that space may be taken by the receiver as well depending on where you mount it. An Admiral 6S 6000 50C pack I have here is just outside of fitting by about a mm in height. That specific pack in hand measures 165 x 59 x 45mm (no connectors or velcro/tool mat). It would probably fit without the velcro I have on it and the tray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F14Battery.png
Views:	1273
Size:	985.4 KB
ID:	398698
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete914 View Post
                                  Can you set the gyro "stabilize mode" to always "on" so I can use that 8th channel for FPV panning?
                                  If you leave the gyro lead unplugged, it is essentially in the 'normal' (non-self leveling) gyro mode. Though, for first flights, is always good to takeoff with the gyro off, and turn the gyro on up high initially, just for safety to make sure all is working well first. Same thing with thrust reversing, you just don't get thrust reversing when the lead is unplugged.

Comment

The F14 manuals lists a Freewing Flight Assistant App to program the gyro. Has anyone found this app? I couldn't find it on freewingmodel.com.

Comment

Looking forward to some flight reviews! Very curious how this does on "less than perfect" grass fields.

Comment

Originally posted by 3D-Seth View Post

If you leave the gyro lead unplugged, it is essentially in the 'normal' (non-self leveling) gyro mode. Though, for first flights, is always good to takeoff with the gyro off, and turn the gyro on up high initially, just for safety to make sure all is working well first. Same thing with thrust reversing, you just don't get thrust reversing when the lead is unplugged.
                                        Since you appear to have information on it: Are the flaps automatically raised when the wings are swept back, or does that have to be done manually like on the 80mm version so as not to break the flaps?

Comment

Working...
                                        X