Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) Disable and remove the gyro completely, so you can evaluate the aircraft itself with the absolute minimum standing between your finger inputs and the control surfaces.

2) Disable any slowing you might have on flaps

3) Triple-check that your expo is appropriate for the model and your flying preferences.

4) Triple-check the linkages

5) Triple-check that the throws are symmetrical. Consider applying a very gentle static load (a.k.a. 1lb beanbag) onto the ailerons to see if one of them skips or stutters.

Mach9's approach is correct --start methodically ruling out each element in the equation.

That the model fights itself to stay level sounds like a gain setting being too high. Too high of an aileron gain will typically exhibit itself in an oscillating, over-correcting back-and-forth movement. However, that this behavior seems to be happening in only one bank direction seems to imply an issue with the servo disadvantaged in that position to correct the model to level flight.

The Avanti is one of our most widely distributed and consistently popular flyers, so something is awry.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Vintage Racer View Post
      Hello, Anyone ever see an Avanti that has an un-commanded roll issue after initiating a right turn? Mine is new, and after right turn is initiated, then stopped, it will continue a descending right turn into terrain unless corrected, with the stick centered. It flys normally to the left. Flies great otherwise. All surfaces are neutral, flaps and gear up. With the gyro on it goes crazy trying to correct for level flight.

Thanks

VR
      +1, Avanti is crazy stable, never had an issue, no correction or gyro here.
      rc flyin addict

Comment

• I also cannot understand what is causing the strange flight characteristics, but would be money that the gyro is the cause and is not actually turning off. Either that or check that you do not have something unintended in a mix.

The Avanti S is definitely the smoothest and easiest EDF to fly. I do have the AR 636 3 axis gyro in but honestly, it really doesn't need it. If it banks left correctly, but not right, I think it can only be a gyro error giving the problems, otherwise it would do it in both directions. Put a standard receiver in and give it a shot. Alpha gives the best advice on how to determine what the issue is.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Talk about getting bored locked up in the house not being able to fly. I don't mind avoiding people, cause basically I don't really like people, except of course if they share some of my passions which includes everyone here on the Squawk. So starting to run out of little fixes and modifications to my fleet, only left with finishing out the cockpit mods and repainting of the F-18 to the Canadian (which should get me through April). I finally got around to changing my canopy on my Red Avanti from a shaded canopy to a clear one. I know most like the shaded, but I did spend some time when I first got it building out the cockpit with pilots and instruments from Iflytally. After I put the shaded canopy on, you couldn't really see any of the work on the inside, so 3 months ago I ordered a clear canopy in the event I had absolutely nothing else to do. Well, it happened. So here's my cockpit with the old shaded glass, and the new clear glass. Not sure which I like best, but at least I can see the work done on the inside (not that anyone at the field would ever notice-but I do).

This is the old, shaded canopy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_143716.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	246128Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_172433.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	246129

This is the new clear canopy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_215608.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	246130Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_215637.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	246131
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks for all the help with this issue!

I have the Eagle A3 Super 3 V2 Programmable 6-Axis Airplane Gyro

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-airplane-gyro

I haven't touched it since the flights on Sunday. I also flew the e-flite Viper 6 times the same day, and love it. I thought about removing the gyro, and will when time allows, but I am an EDF Flyer in training, and this is not the airplane for me at the moment. I have no scale like flap deployment speed programmed in, or any mixes for that matter, as this airplane is not sorted by any means at the moment, so no fine tuning has taken place. It has been primarily flown by a guy who has 40 years, mainly flies EDFs, and very well I have to say. He told me to sell it, LOL.

I know it has an issue, and if I didn't deal with airplane/helicopter issues all day, 40 hours a week, I would jump on it!! But, I am in no big hurry to work on it when I get home from working on the real thing all day. I am somewhat interested in whats causing it, but not losing sleep, and I know it has to be a great airplane, its all I hear about. Plus several guys at my club have them, and love them. I like the idea of a small weight on the control surfaces, should provide decent feed back as to whats going on with a load across each surface.

Again, thanks to all the troubleshooters out there. Hard to troubleshoot without seeing the problem first hand. Been there MANY times.

VR

Comment

• I did a single place version using the clear canopy also. It weighs 4.4 ounces, no GIB. Made a glare shield from thin plastic sheet, and thin tubing for the padding on the edge. Also removed allot of foam, and allot of the Pilot internally with my die grinder equipped with a rotary file.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0050.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.4 KB ID:	246217
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Vintage Racer; Apr 1, 2020, 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Strange looking Avanti S. :Confused:
                Very sorry. I posted on the wrong page. My bad. If I could delete I would.

Comment

• OK, finished up getting the Avanti ready to fly, minus the gyro system. Weather here in Sacramento per the Saturday forecast looks really good. I will post the flight results. I made no other changes, One change at a time is the best approach to effective troubleshooting.

VR

Comment

• Have fun!
                    One of the best overall flying EDF's out there.

Comment

• Good luck, hope this works out for ya.
                      Your lucky, currently snowing here

Comment

• Field closed... Sacramento County Department of Parks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	5F7E768B-153C-495E-9700-F90B4CC32088.jpeg
Views:	1491
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	248594Click image for larger version

Name:	BEAC2FBE-3653-493F-9BDC-199D5979A925.jpeg
Views:	1382
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	248595Click image for larger version

Name:	1145071E-9F44-4AE7-B58E-9E0F0C4973C9.jpeg
Views:	1375
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	248593Click image for larger version

Name:	5CF1C42F-C5F5-42D1-BC30-8B18088D59D4.jpeg
Views:	1397
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	248592Click image for larger version

Name:	188EB4E9-9DDA-4EE7-959C-131FC5148589.jpeg
Views:	1445
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	248591Click image for larger version

Name:	0C48EE37-54D3-470C-8251-08304B9BE662.jpeg
Views:	1384
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	248590Click image for larger version

Name:	E8670B54-E917-4C1C-BED0-A53F1BEC69FD.jpeg
Views:	1400
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	248589Click image for larger version

Name:	2A19795F-C43C-43B4-BD32-7208F0D961E0.jpeg
Views:	1372
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	248588 Avanti facelift!!!
                          Tolga
                          Instagram: @_t01ga_
                          YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• That is just too cool!!!! Congrats on a fine job! Jerry

Comment

• Hardway Thanks Jerry. I think most of the credit goes to Callie Graphics.
                              Tolga

Comment

• She does a great job for sure!!! Happy Easter bro!!! Stay well...

Comment

• Hardway Yeap, likewise. Stay safe buddy.
                                  Tolga

Comment

• What did you use for the nose taxi/landing light lens on your Avanti. Looks great!

VR

Comment

• Vintage Racer it is the tip of a candle light bulb
                                      Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
                                        Vintage Racer it is the tip of a candle light bulb
                                        Thanks, I will do a little research.

VR

Comment

• Vintage Racer identical to this one. Cut to size with Dremel, sanded down and fixed to the fuse with FoamTac. Click image for larger version

Name:	F63E18B9-C1BF-4675-986B-C94B0365D4F2.jpeg
Views:	840
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	248874
                                          Tolga

Comment

Working...
                                          X