X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
    I'm not a mixer switch guy usually either, but I fly from an "aircraft carrier" so runway is at a premium. You make the deck and don't run off the other side or you take your bird home in a bag, no arresting cable to catch either lol. I could add brakes to the F-16 but I really don't want to add any more weight to her as I've already had to go 8s due to my short runway environment as to not use up 90% of it on my take off role like on 6s.

I use flaps or flaperons for every bird I have for take off and as much drag as I can get for every landing. Flaps, gear, airbrake, and high alpha for aerodynamic braking if possible. I use 90° flaps on my Venom, 70° on my A-4, 85°on my F-5, full span flaps for my F-18, and F-14, dorsal airbrake on my F-15, and even the airbrake on my T-28 not because I need it on the T-28 but I enjoy learning to fly with all the drag devices available. I don't own a single bird that needs to come screaming in on final like it's on fire lol

Comment

• Second flight...OUTSTANDING!

Wow flaperons were the magic ingredient! Took off MUCH better...Quicker rotation, smoother climb out...She flew like she was on rails! Gyro? What gyro? I don't need no stinking gyro, lol...

CG was fine all along. 120mm...Solid. Love the inrunner setup. Came in, dropped to full flaperons and it was like landing a trainer. Thanks again to everyone who chipped in their helpful advice.
      Who has two thumbs with a big grin? This guy!

My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Fabulous, great video, so glad the flaperons worked out for you. Its surprising what a difference they make on this bird. Two flights and you're already landing like a flight instructor. Bravo.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• LOL, not sure about Flight Instructor but I accept your compliment! Many times I have poo-poo'd flaperons and mixing in general for many models but this model is a clear and obvious example of one that benefits from flaperons. It was self evident from the start. What once was a heavy wing-loaded beast has been transformed - thanks to the inrunner and flaperons - to an easy to fly scale beauty!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• BTW, did you hook up a separate servo to deploy the front half of the port missile? Not sure that's quite scale, thought it needed the back end to fly to its target, but what do I know. Maybe if you add back some aileron throw and rotate at full deflection, you could deploy the front half of all of them at once.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• You know, I didn't even notice I was missing that missile until I got home...I was like, "What the?" Then somebody pointed out at the :22 mark that it went bye bye, lol! What had happened is that I was carrying her the first attempt to the track (when I discovered people were there walking the track so I had to turn around) and I must have accidentally hit the missile which cracked it. I went home and CA'd it, thinking it was fine. Guess not! LOL

Good thing I ordered the spare set of ordinance!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Awesome, just keep flying it every time you can, it only gets better when you learn it's whole flight envelope, nice video.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  Second flight...OUTSTANDING!

Wow flaperons were the magic ingredient! Took off MUCH better...Quicker rotation, smoother climb out...She flew like she was on rails! Gyro? What gyro? I don't need no stinking gyro, lol...

CG was fine all along. 120mm...Solid. Love the inrunner setup. Came in, dropped to full flaperons and it was like landing a trainer. Thanks again to everyone who chipped in their helpful advice.
                  Who has two thumbs with a big grin? This guy!

That flight looked awesome!! No rocking or unwanted movements on the plane at all even with the ordinance in place! Very impressive!! UGH!! I really hate not having the room that I need for all the planes that I want!!
                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                    That flight looked awesome!! No rocking or unwanted movements on the plane at all even with the ordinance in place! Very impressive!! UGH!! I really hate not having the room that I need for all the planes that I want!!
                    LOL, thanks man, I sure know THAT feeling!!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Aros, wanted to ask you this for a while, but either forgot to or it wasn't the right time. Since you just aired another great video, this time of my current favorite jet, I thought the timing is right so here it is: I have always noted that your rolls are always (I think always) to the right, even when flying a counter clockwise pattern. Is that because on left rolls the nose drops slightly due to the rotation of the prop/fan?

I usually do the same, even when turning left I like to do a 3/4 roll to the right because it dips less, and also looks kind of cool. Or is there some other reason I'm missing. I love to watch other good pilots maneuvers cause I always find something I like and try to incorporate it into my flying. Thanks.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I would love to offer up a sophisticated aerodynamic explanation for you Hugh but the truth is it's just plain ol' habit.

I always fly counter clockwise, and roll to the right simply due to muscle memory...Been doing it that way for 15+ years now...I can of course roll to the left and fly clockwise but Old Dogs, New Tricks and all that ya know... I am not as ambidextrous with my flying as I am in other areas...Just laziness LOL!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Perfect explanation, love it. Fits into my personality as well "old lazy dog". Give me a beer, a cigar, a lawn chair and my transmitter and I'm good to go.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Now we're cookin'!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Started the painting process for the Arctic Aggressor scheme. Man, I've forgotten what a multi-step pain in the rear this livery is! First stripped her down and painted her in base grey...Then I masked off and shot the black camo both top and bottom today...Tomorrow is masking off and shooting the white camo. My custom decals from Callie should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Once those are applied I will hit the whole bird with polycrylic and call her good!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Started the painting process for the Arctic Aggressor scheme. Man, I've forgotten what a multi-step pain in the rear this livery is! First stripped her down and painted her in base grey...Then I masked off and shot the black camo both top and bottom today...Tomorrow is masking off and shooting the white camo. My custom decals from Callie should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Once those are applied I will hit the whole bird with polycrylic and call her good!
                                Wow, love that livery too, can't wait to see the finished product. WIsh I had the patience and skill to do it, but know my limitation. Since you're doing one, 2 would be just as easy, so when you finish mine, I'll send you my address. May even reimburse you for the shipping if I'm in a good mood. A kid in our club has a turbine Artic Camo F16, can you say spoiled, 1 of many his dad has for him (picture below-unfortunately not mine) Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_142506.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	234646
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Wow, love that livery too, can't wait to see the finished product. WIsh I had the patience and skill to do it, but know my limitation. Since you're doing one, 2 would be just as easy, so when you finish mine, I'll send you my address. May even reimburse you for the shipping if I'm in a good mood. A kid in our club has a turbine Artic Camo F16, can you say spoiled, 1 of many his dad has for him (picture below-unfortunately not mine) Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_142506.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	234646
                                  Spoiled. Yep apparently I can!😁

Comment

• Good God what scale is that?? Either that kid is a shrimp or that jet is massive!! I know camera angles can make things look bigger than they are (wait, what?!) but WOW that looks like one giant scale F-16! And I thought my HSD 105mm F-16 was big.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I think it's a 1/4 scale, the kid is 16 and almost 6 feet high. He flies it beautifully as well. All I can say is I can always look forward to bigger and better. Where does he go from there? His only shot is to become an Air Force or Navy aviator and fly the real thing. Most likely it's all downhill for him after starting out on this, at least my upside is far more interesting.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• 1/4 scale?!?! Holy cow.

Finally finished with the painting. My wife is a Saint for putting up with me using the dinning room table as her "perch" as I worked on her for the past three days. The smell of the paint wafting in from the garage wasn't a fun issue to negotiate but all that is in the past now, lol.

Turned out as good as I could have hoped. Now the wait for decals and sealing with the polycrylic.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

1/4 scale?!?! Holy cow.

Finally finished with the painting. My wife is a Saint for putting up with me using the dinning room table as her "perch" as I worked on her for the past three days. The smell of the paint wafting in from the garage wasn't a fun issue to negotiate but all that is in the past now, lol.

Turned out as good as I could have hoped. Now the wait for decals and sealing with the polycrylic.
                                          Outstanding, beautiful job, can't wait to see the finished product with graphics and the video. What is the narrow masking tape you use and do you spray or hand paint the polycrylic and what type do you use.

I use the testors trim tape, comes 3 sizes to a pack, but they are getting hard to find, although still out there at a few places.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X