You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... What's next? We need some new military muscle for us EDF junkies! : )

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

First of all the original topic for this thread was ideas for a simple single EDF jet. But it would be cool to see some sort of EDF bomber as there are currently none on the market.
    But I would much rather see a B-1b Lancer. With its variable-sweep wings it could fly slow or fast and be easier to transport.
    Since I was part of the mgmt. team for the avionics computer in 81, a Bone would be a sweet dream but that is just what it is.........a dream.
    How do you market this to only the tarmac fliers and leave out the majority of the fliers that are turf guys???
    It does not have the type of undercarriage that can be modeled successfully for turf operations as well as do the majority of jets out there not meet that criteria for turf because of small wheels.
    I've brought this up before and so here I say it again especially in light of those moaning about the A-10 on grass and it has the gear designed for it !!!.
    So here are the numbers for a B1-B @ 1/20th scale:
    W/S 137' extended at 1/20 scale gives you a model of 82" span(47" swept) which is respectable but that same 1/20 scale makes the 3' nose wheel only 1.8 inches and of course this just is not really feasible for turf especially if you've got a 15lb AUW bird sitting on it.
    Lets be real here folks and put something on the plate that is possible.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
      Nah, how about a Bell XF-109? With VTOL please :).

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
        Nah, how about a Bell XF-109? With VTOL please :).
        With modern gyros and stuff that would work!

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          My Freewing 90mm F-18 is getting a bit long in the tooth and looking pretty bruised after a few repairs. It's slightly under-powered for my grass field, so a new one would be nice in the 70mm - 80mm size. And ditch the thrust vectoring. It's an un-needed and unwanted gimmick that only adds complexity.
          FMS has just tested their upcoming 70mm, 6s F-18. I'd rather get it from Freewing as I know that they can make a much better product when it comes to EDF planes. Take for example, their latest offerings in the A-10, Avanti, Yak 130 70mm. When it comes to EDFs, Freewing is better in many categories. I'll buy the FMS F-18 when it comes out unless I know Freewing is not far behind in releasing one themselves.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...396557695&_rdr
          FMS is going to drop their 6s 70mm F-18 soon... But I'd LOVE to see FW make an 80 or 90!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Since I was part of the mgmt. team for the avionics computer in 81, a Bone would be a sweet dream but that is just what it is.........a dream.
            How do you market this to only the tarmac fliers and leave out the majority of the fliers that are turf guys???
            It does not have the type of undercarriage that can be modeled successfully for turf operations as well as do the majority of jets out there not meet that criteria for turf because of small wheels.
            I've brought this up before and so here I say it again especially in light of those moaning about the A-10 on grass and it has the gear designed for it !!!.
            So here are the numbers for a B1-B @ 1/20th scale:
            W/S 137' extended at 1/20 scale gives you a model of 82" span(47" swept) which is respectable but that same 1/20 scale makes the 3' nose wheel only 1.8 inches and of course this just is not really feasible for turf especially if you've got a 15lb AUW bird sitting on it.
            Lets be real here folks and put something on the plate that is possible.
            I totally understand your concern for the feasibility of a bomber with small landing gear wheels not being a big seller with the turf guys. But unfortunately just about all full size jet bombers after WWII are going to have small wheels. So that means that there just will never be a large jet bomber of any sort because a limitation with potential sales. That practically limits it to a few medium bombers that could handle some turf airfields.
            The only American bomber I could think of that actually does have some beefy large wheels is the F-111 Aardvark.

But it would be interesting to hear from those that normally fly from turf if they would actually seek out a paved runway if there were a full size bomber of some sort on the market.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	F-111.png Views:	1 Size:	268.3 KB ID:	87935

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
              But it would be interesting to hear from those that normally fly from turf if they would actually seek out a paved runway if there were a full size bomber of some sort on the market.
              There are no tarmac runways inside 100 miles from me which means a no on buying any EDF that can't handle turf. The only times I've had the opportunity to fly from tarmac is when I went 600 miles west to Muncie.
              Prior to the A-10, my only EDF was the A-6 which is barely capable of turf and that is because our club keeps it mowed short.
              When Alpha announced the A-10 and reassured me it was designed around us grass fliers I was elated.

Now that I own the A-10, he was true to his word and it IS a EDF turf monster.

Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hey Alpha10..How about one of this??

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post

With modern gyros and stuff that would work!
                  I would not be so sure about that. I have the Convergence and am thinking of getting the V-22 Osprey from Banana Hobby. Both of those have been plagued with flight controller glitches than I'm not sure have yet been corrected. The predecessors of the Convergence have been even worse. Even the ultra expensive FireFly6 is not without its problems and idiosyncrasies. All of these are prop models. If anyone were to try to do this with EDFs at this stage of the game, that company would be headed towards bankruptcy and disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                    I would not be so sure about that. I have the Convergence and am thinking of getting the V-22 Osprey from Banana Hobby. Both of those have been plagued with flight controller glitches than I'm not sure have yet been corrected. The predecessors of the Convergence have been even worse. Even the ultra expensive FireFly6 is not without its problems and idiosyncrasies. All of these are prop models. If anyone were to try to do this with EDFs at this stage of the game, that company would be headed towards bankruptcy and disaster.
                    I am certain that it could be done, it would just take some intense development on the part of the flight controller. There are other VTOL controllers that have excellent records like the KK2 w/OpenAeroVTOL and the Rotormast V-22 controller. The biggest problem above all else would be trying to get efficiency, and keep the proper thrust for hover. And, with the forward mounted lift fan showed in some of the development drawing, it could be made stable in a hover without too much insanity. Definitely easier than a Harrier, V-22 or F-35 in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

There are no tarmac runways inside 100 miles from me which means a no on buying any EDF that can't handle turf. The only times I've had the opportunity to fly from tarmac is when I went 600 miles west to Muncie.
                      Prior to the A-10, my only EDF was the A-6 which is barely capable of turf and that is because our club keeps it mowed short.
                      When Alpha announced the A-10 and reassured me it was designed around us grass fliers I was elated.
                      https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...2745#post52745
                      Now that I own the A-10, he was true to his word and it IS a EDF turf monster.
                      Maybe you might have to think outside of the box or in this case outside of the club airfield. The nearest airfields around me are all turf and I just could not even consider paying monthly dues for an airfield I was only going to be able to fly one of my planes at. So I refused for the situation to dictate what planes I could have. Which led to meeting some other RC pilots in my area that were flying at this wide open space next to a shopping area that was unbuilt and just had some nice paved streets going through it that cars rarely pass through, which made for the perfect long runways. One of these fellow pilots recently moved further away and found a new run way at the nearest church parking lot that is right next to a big open field.
                      So I recommend looking around your area for a new potential paved runway. You can use google maps to view satellite images to aid in the search of potential sites. Then once you find an area just cross reference the area with an RC airspace map to see if there are any Flight Restrictions. Here is a good National air space map you can search your area in.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

I am certain that it could be done, it would just take some intense development on the part of the flight controller. There are other VTOL controllers that have excellent records like the KK2 w/OpenAeroVTOL and the Rotormast V-22 controller. The biggest problem above all else would be trying to get efficiency, and keep the proper thrust for hover. And, with the forward mounted lift fan showed in some of the development drawing, it could be made stable in a hover without too much insanity. Definitely easier than a Harrier, V-22 or F-35 in that respect.
                        I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I'm just saying it would be difficult to do at a reasonable cost that could be shunted down to a mass market product. Limited edition and low volume applications don't make good profit and are not sustainable. If it were, we would have seen it done with the existing offerings. Like I said, the FireFly6 works quite well (though not entirely glitch free) but they don't sell many at $2000.00 a copy. If the Convergence and the Banana Hobby V-22 were "perfect", they would have to sell for 3 or 4 times what they cost and even at their current price, they aren't considered a success for their respective companies. I can foresee both of these teetering on the brink of discontinuation in the near future. Get 'em while you can.

Comment

A 80mm or 90mm Hawker Hunter would be my pick.

Would suit grass capable landing gear and there are plenty of cool schemes to choose from too as this was used by a large number of air arms around the world. A great companion model for the Sabre and Mig21 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
                            I would like to see an F-4 Phantom. That is such a purposeful looking aircraft. Another one that would be great, the English Electric Lightning, what a beast. From brake release to 36,000ft before it reached the end of the runway in less than 3 minutes. It first flew in 1954 and I believe it was the only all British fighter to exceed Mach 2. It could also exceed Mach i on one engine. However, it did burn fuel like it was going out of fashion.

Martin.
                            BTW, the Phantom would do 0-60,000 ft in less than 2 min. I'd love to have a good flying F4J Phantom II. Need a Mig-21 chaser !

There has not been a very good flying F-4 in electric. The LX and Eflight models were complete failures. Take the Skymaster or BVM versions and reverse engineer to make foam molds. Add twin 80's or a single 90, Three livery options( Navy, USAF, Marines) .

The A7 or F8 would also be very cool but subject to alot of FOD. Plus, very low ground clearance. Would be a grass inhaler. Pavement only planes.
                            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                            Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                            I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post

BTW, the Phantom would do 0-60,000 ft in less than 2 min. I'd love to have a good flying F4J Phantom II. Need a Mig-21 chaser !

There has not been a very good flying F-4 in electric. The LX and Eflight models were complete failures. Take the Skymaster or BVM versions and reverse engineer to make foam molds. Add twin 80's or a single 90, Three livery options( Navy, USAF, Marines) .

The A7 or F8 would also be very cool but subject to alot of FOD. Plus, very low ground clearance. Would be a grass inhaler. Pavement only planes.
                              I am with da' hawk -- F4 hantom or a MIG 15

Comment

I also would like to see a good F-4 Phantom and Mig 15. I am surprised that as iconic as these jets are that there aren't any good EDF's on the market already. These jets were the arch nemesis of the Mig 21 in Vietnam and F-86 Saber in Korea.

But my main choice is the Saab AJS-37 Viggen. I recently got to fly it for the first time in DCS and it really is a great flying jet that is easy to fly. Not only that but it has a thrust reverser! Just by taxing and landing in DCS the thrust reverser has become very useful being able to back up and pull off short landings on the airstrip or on roads!

Here is a great video review of the Viggen in DCS that really shows why this jet is so special.

Comment

Man there are some good suggestions made. I am partial to the F9F Panther or a Cougar. They would make a great single 90mm platform and great for grass or tarmac.

Comment

Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
                                    Man there are some good suggestions made. I am partial to the F9F Panther or a Cougar. They would make a great single 90mm platform and great for grass or tarmac.
                                    I'd love to have a Cougar in that exact paint scheme.

Comment

How about a 70--80MM Panther with retracts ? Currently the only game in town is Lander. It should sell well as your 64mm ( which has been around forever, even before you picked up freewing) is still in production and regularly sells out . Many paint schemes to choose from , big wing , great history ...

Comment

A Hawker Hunter would be great, as would a F-4 preferably in SEA Camouflage.

However id give an arm and a leg for an Avro Vulcan! (Or a Panavia Tornado ;))
                                        Attached Files
                                        Currently Fly: Durafly Spitfire MkVb, Eflite P47 1100mm, Parkzone FW190A-8, Parkzone SE5a, Dynam Tiger Moth, Eleven Hobby Bearcat, Parkzone Mosquito MKVI, Durafly Tundra
                                        Unflyable: Durafly Sea Vixen, Parkzone T28 (In temporary storage in tree)
                                        Retired: Hobbyzone Delta Ray 'Frankenplane'
                                        Wanted: Freewing A4

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbobtheflimbob View Post
                                          However id give an arm and a leg for an Avro Vulcan! (Or a Panavia Tornado ;))
                                          At this point, I can no longer house anymore planes. No room. But if a Vulcan ever came out by Freewing, I'd go out and crash a few to make room.

Comment

Working...
                                          X