Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1 on that. I feel the same about mine.

Comment

• Pattern,

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the Hawk but I watch in admiration the several Avanti S's at our field. Of course, there's a notable price difference between the two. If price was not a factor, I'd say go with the Avanti S. Though I love my Hawk. We're about even in speed. The Avanti S is bigger , has better gear, etc and it's got that 80mm sound. Just MHO...

Hawk
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Gents, I just received the BAe Hawk 70mm ARF, and I have to mount the ESC. Unfortunately there are no instructions in the manual on where and how to mount it. Can anyone please, post a picture of the ESC mounted in the PNP version?
        Thanks a lot

Comment

• The 3 wires coming out the back of your edf loop back and under the fan body and get plugged-in to the esc . Should see a slot or channel already molded in the fuse to accommodate room for these 3 wires. Should be a short , 2 inch long of piece of ply about the size of guitar fret used as hold down plate with two screws to hold down the esc.I can't remember i mine came that way as I too have the ARF+ version. The esc slides under this bridge . If not there , just see where it rests naturally and you can tape it down if you want or velcro it. Before closing up the edf bay, bind your rx and make sure the motor is turning in the correct direction. Thrust coming out the back. If it's not the correct direction, simply swap any of the 3 wires.
          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Thank you for your feedback and advices dahawk. My issue is mechanical rather than electrical wiring. I did notice the plate with the two screw guides, and I was curious about it. I assumed that was to hold down the ESC, but there are two things that keep me wondering, and that is why I would like to see how Freewing sets up the PNP. 1: What they use to hold down the ESC to the plate?. Given the screws (If they use them) does not seem to be velcro, unless is a special kind of strap. 2: I have also a Yak-130 70mm PNP, and its ESC cover (Shrink tube) has been cut out to expose an aluminum plate, that I am pretty sure, acts as the ESC heat sink, and having is covered or not makes a hell of a difference. Now, if the ESC would be hold down, with anything other than a metal strap, and the ESC plate would not be exposed, its heat dissipation would be seriously jeopardized. However, you would wonder if I am so smart, why don't I just do what I am proposing here? Well, I know that I don't know enough about how the ESC is built, and therefore, I may end up damaging it, if for whatever reason that is not the right way to install it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
              Pattern,

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the Hawk but I watch in admiration the several Avanti S's at our field. Of course, there's a notable price difference between the two. If price was not a factor, I'd say go with the Avanti S. Though I love my Hawk. We're about even in speed. The Avanti S is bigger , has better gear, etc and it's got that 80mm sound. Just MHO...Hawk
              Thanks DaHawk. My son lives in Keller, What field do you fly at? Would love to come by and see some flying. We visit N Dallas and the IMAC field over by Eagle Mountain Lake. I’’ve bought a home in Granbury so hope to eventually join the group at Lake Benbrook

Comment

• Ha, I live in Keller too.

Fly at the 114th Aerosquadron in Grapevine. A well kept Grass field. Www.114th.org

The Thunderbirds club in Benbrook is one of the premier clubs in the country. Awesome paved runway, great Pitt area, nice people.

Comment

• I have a unused set of upgraded landing gear for the BAE hawk. Still in the package. Yours for $25 plus postage. New from MotionRC $43. Send PM if you would like them.

Comment

• Just maiden my Freewing Hawk.I fly off a grass strip.Thinking on upgrading the retracts .Anyone tell me if there is much difference from the stock retracts

Comment

• Hey fellas, just picked this up at Christmas and wanted to use a AR636 with AS3X, but didn't find anywhere suitable near the CG for mounting. So, I came up with this on the 3d Printer. This would also obviously work for any add on gyro as well.

I've got some rewiring to do, but happy with the results so far. I had better results printing this in ABS rather than PLA, your results could vary, It's not quite back at the CG, but I think this is an acceptable compromise.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bbaumer View Post
                        Hey fellas, just picked this up at Christmas and wanted to use a AR636 with AS3X, but didn't find anywhere suitable near the CG for mounting. So, I came up with this on the 3d Printer. This would also obviously work for any add on gyro as well.

I've got some rewiring to do, but happy with the results so far. I had better results printing this in ABS rather than PLA, your results could vary, It's not quite back at the CG, but I think this is an acceptable compromise.

The AS3X Rx doesn't have to be close to the CG. Mine is near the nose area of the plane, away from the CG. It is along the long axis, length of the plane. I've even had the RX in a different plane off center and it works perfectly fine. The only thing is you can't mount the rx with the wires going LT or RT, It has to be forward or aft.

Comment

• Hi All,
                          I gave myself one of these for Christmas - and I'm very glad I did.
                          I've had some fun re-painting the pilot, servos and gear mount covers. I also added some not-exactly-scale smoke pipes.

I'm looking forward to the maiden when the thaw comes!

Enjoy your Hawks!
                          Last edited by Muckie; Jan 9, 2018, 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• I like your cockpit set up Muckie. How did you remove the canopy?

Comment

• Calling all Base Gray Hawk owners (or anybody who customized any version).

Got a base gray hawk that I plan on doing a video of a custom scheme on in the near future. But, since everyone has different tips, tricks and ways to customize any foamie, I figured to do a proper video we would love to include input from everyone who have already done it. It isn't logistically possible to show every method ourselves (that's a lot of Hawks). So what better way than to show the pictures and videos you guys supply of your custom Hawks and share your tips, tricks and processes you used to accomplish your variation.

There are a ton of great schemes already but I wanted to ask you guys if you'd
                              A. Mind being highlighted in a video? (or your Hawk and Squawk username at least) and
                              B. Mind sharing more detailed info on just how you did yours?

So let me know if you'd be interested, if needed I would make a new thread but let's see what you guys think?

Comment

• I'm in James.

Comment

• Originally posted by welshman View Post
                                  I like your cockpit set up Muckie. How did you remove the canopy?
                                  Hey welshman

I used a new #11 blade and ran it around the seam to split the decals.
                                  Then I carefully eased the BACK of the blade up and under the canopy and then gently worked it around the seam using the back of the blade first so you don't accidentally cut the foam.
                                  I'm pretty ham-fisted but it came away cleanly.
                                  I used Formula 560 canopy glue to re-attach. Excellent stuff - dries clear.

For the paint match, I took the nose gear cover to my local hardware store but the plastic was too thin for their scanner to get a match. The guy there eyeballed a match with paint chips and I got Benjamin Moore "Millionaire Red".
                                  It's a pretty damn close match, hopefully even better after I hit the plane with some rattle-can gloss Minwax or similar. That won't happen until the snow goes away and the temperatures get a bit friendlier.

Have fun,
                                  Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by MotionJB View Post
                                    Calling all Base Gray Hawk owners (or anybody who customized any version).

Got a base gray hawk that I plan on doing a video of a custom scheme on in the near future. But, since everyone has different tips, tricks and ways to customize any foamie, I figured to do a proper video we would love to include input from everyone who have already done it. It isn't logistically possible to show every method ourselves (that's a lot of Hawks). So what better way than to show the pictures and videos you guys supply of your custom Hawks and share your tips, tricks and processes you used to accomplish your variation.

There are a ton of great schemes already but I wanted to ask you guys if you'd
                                    A. Mind being highlighted in a video? (or your Hawk and Squawk username at least) and
                                    B. Mind sharing more detailed info on just how you did yours?

So let me know if you'd be interested, if needed I would make a new thread but let's see what you guys think?
                                    Sound good :Cool:

Comment

• Thanks Muckie, think I may try that. Plenty of time to work until it warms up.

Comment

• Thanks guys, keep the updates coming. Just got my graphics from Callie, have some more pressing videos first, but can't wait to get started.

Comment

• What are you going with James? Or is it a secret....

Comment

Working...
                                          X