Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, RCJetDude and BBaumer!

Comment

• Has anyone managed to get bigger wheels on the upgraded retracts ??

Comment

• Maximum wheel size on retracts is pretty well dictated by the openings in the wheel wells. You can try opening up more space but that can be a problem for structure.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Apriliamgt View Post
          Has anyone managed to get bigger wheels on the upgraded retracts ??
          April,

I have a post (#468) over on the RCgroups forum about putting larger diameter wheels on the Hawk

Vdanger
          Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• I have recently managed to fit 2.5" wheels to all three points as I only have access to a very rough runway and am hoping these will allow reasonable take off's and landings but I haven't tried it yet!
            As I had already purchased the strut upgrade kit I decided to try and modify these. I bought the 2.5" wheels from Eflite which are a bit more spongy than the Hawk wheels and have a similar axle size hole, for the wing struts I reversed these so that the arm retracts flush with the wing well and fixed the shaft and wheel on the outside, I also needed to extend the notch on the shaft to ensure the shaft didn't pull out. Although the wheels do not retract into the wing wells they don't look too bad under the wings.
            The front strut was a bit more if a problem as the strut wishbone is not deep enough for a larger wheel, I therefore had to fabricate a new wishbone from a piece of aluminium (not easy!) but eventually managed to produced something acceptable and fitted the new wheel although this doesn't retract fully doesn't look too bad would look better with a 2" wheel which I may try later.
            I'm hoping all this work will pay off when it comes to maiden flight fingers crossed!
            Have a look at vdanger's post on rcgroups he has made a good job of his mods and they look good

Comment

• How rough is your field, John Wood? Have fun, good luck, and post pics!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• It is part of a disused ww2 air field great open area for jets but not very nice surface after 70 years! I will try and post some pics of the mods to struts

Comment

• Some pics of mods to landing gear, also note deflector at sides of drop tank over cheater intake openings which I made from section of poly bottle, hope this might keep out debris from entering fan suction?

Comment

• John,

Nice job on the mods! I still haven't gotten to try my gear yet because of the winter weather here in Illinois.
                    Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wood View Post
                      Some pics of mods to landing gear, also note deflector at sides of drop tank over cheater intake openings which I made from section of poly bottle, hope this might keep out debris from entering fan suction?
                      i like the deflector idea. I went with screen door repair tape and electrical tape over the edges. Seems to work fine. Also just used some basswood to reinforce the front main from being knocked back on rough landing

Comment

• I did think about mesh over the intakes but thought it may restrict the air flow to the fan but perhaps not?

Comment

I did think about mesh over the intakes but thought it may restrict the air flow to the fan but perhaps not?
                          It still allows air through but more importantly restricts debris. I also changed the nose wheel to .25in smaller diameter and it helped tremendously.

Comment

I did think about mesh over the intakes but thought it may restrict the air flow to the fan but perhaps not?
                            It still allows air through but more importantly restricts debris. I also changed the nose wheel to .25in smaller diameter and it helped tremendously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Regatoni5 View Post

Changing to a smaller nose wheel helped with what?

Comment

• Originally posted by vdanger View Post

Changing to a smaller nose wheel helped with what?
                                With bouncing on landing. I couldn’t land it without bouncing for the life of me. Didn’t have issues with my 80mm hawk though.

Comment

• Just in the process of finishing my Hawk, which has gone together a treat.
                                  A few observations / questions:
                                  The model did not come with any instructions for the esc, I downloaded the instructions and set up using the programme to make sure everything was set ok.(Ihave had models in the past where the esc was not programmed correctly......ooops!.
                                  Is it best to have the fan braked or not?
                                  From the reports I have read the cg is set to a "safe" position, but could this be a bit to far forward resulting in the many "bouncy landing" reports?.
                                  I have sent off for some 40mm low bounce wheels as the stock items appear very hard.
                                  How does it fly inverted? If the cg is to far forward it will drop like a stone!.
                                  I have tested all the servos which seem chatter free. Has anybody had a failure?.
                                  Its the first time I have used the magic "Blue Box", are these generally reliable?.
                                  Great forum, and a great model.
                                  Sure I will have many more questions.....but thanks to all in advance.

Comment

• Welcome to the forum. Squawk guys are the best!!! Glad you are here!

Comment

• going to paint the gray t1 as a t45 with callie graffics thought about getting the duel wheel fms f18 front strut,,,
                                      anyone have the specs on the strut from the f18? prob has too big a hole for the pin from the t1 ... any idears>?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                                        going to paint the gray t1 as a t45 with callie graffics thought about getting the duel wheel fms f18 front strut,,,
                                        anyone have the specs on the strut from the f18? prob has too big a hole for the pin from the t1 ... any idears>?
                                        Ron,

I made a shock absorbing dual nosewheel strut out of 3/8" aluminum rod and carbon fiber plate for my Hawk/T45c. Its pretty easy to make with simple hand tools. You can see pictures of it in my next post.

Vance

Comment

• ok thanks looking forward to seeing the duel nose wheel

Comment

Working...
                                          X