X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all.

im wanting to reach out to someone who is savvy on the ole 3D printer. I have acquired the BAe Hawk T1 but wanting to modify it to “make it my own”. I’m wanting to convert or upgrade to the BAe Hawk 127 for a RAAF scheme I’m currently working on the decals for.

Main part is the nose as you will be able to see from the image I’ve attached (hopefully) other parts like on the vertical stab I can do with some balsa or foam as well as some other scale features. It was mainly the nose. If anyone can help more than happy to discuss and get your ideas/input into.

Thanking you :)
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilkigmc View Post
      Hi, just got a Freewing Hawk and the upgraded suspension set. Has anyone had any issues with the replacement rear legs being shorter than the original ones? Mine are about half an inch too short so the wheels hit the wing instead of going up into the wheel wells when retracted. I don't want to start making the wells bigger and potentially damaging or weakening the wing, so would hardened steel rod be ok to make some replacement longer pins to get the legs to the correct length? Thanks.
      Wikigmc I just bought a Hawk and upgraded gear and had the same issue. How did they address this for you or are you still waiting on a resolution? I have been keeping up with the service ticket to see what will happen and I have just been informed that I was refunded for my upgrade landing gear. From a customer standpoint this is good but I really wanted those upgrade gear!! I have no idea if they will be offered now or what. I was told that they had to go through their stock to see what the issue was. Now I am kind of wishing that I would have bought the FMS version of the Hawk that came with the shock absorbing gear already installed along with gear doors :Crying: Oh well. I hope they can resolve this and offer the correct fitting upgrade gear again.
      Last edited by ppumpuang; Aug 10, 2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Well I had the dreaded "let's split this thing in half" landing yesterday. I hadn't installed the retrofit kit at the fuselage joint, and that's exactly where it split. The good news is the retrofit kit is also a very effective repair kit! I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure if I HAD installed it, the damage would have been much worse, I had about a 3 foot bounce, then it tip stalled and rolled in nose first ( 100% pilot error)

Comment

• Ouch!!! Sorry that happened..... But it does on occasion! :(

Comment

• Originally posted by bbaumer View Post
            Well I had the dreaded "let's split this thing in half" landing yesterday. I hadn't installed the retrofit kit at the fuselage joint, and that's exactly where it split. The good news is the retrofit kit is also a very effective repair kit! I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure if I HAD installed it, the damage would have been much worse, I had about a 3 foot bounce, then it tip stalled and rolled in nose first ( 100% pilot error)
            bbaumer, this retro fit kit that you speak of, where can you get it? What does it consist of? I don't know if my Hawk already has it or not and would like to check.

Comment

• Originally posted by ppumpuang View Post

bbaumer, this retro fit kit that you speak of, where can you get it? What does it consist of? I don't know if my Hawk already has it or not and would like to check.
              I received mine as a surprise about a month after I bought mine. It is 4 vacuum formed pieces of plastic, two for inside the fuselage, and 2 for the inlets that span the main glue joint between the front and back halves of the fuselage. I would suggest contacting Customer support if you need one

Comment

• Comment

• I believe all new kits include them installed already.

Comment

• Since my original Nozzle is damaged I have a scale ;-) Nozzle drawn. The upgrade is 5 grams heavier than the original. Sorry for my English.

If you like the thing, it would motivate me with a small donation of about 50 cents or more to spend more time on other upgrades.
                    Go to paypal.me/RuckyPlex and type in the amount. Since it’s PayPal, it's easy and secure. Don’t have a PayPal account? No worries.
                    I drew the Nozzle upgrade for my Freewing Bae Hawk T1. The original has 1-2 grams of my has 7 grams. If you like the thing, it would motivate me with

Comment

• Hi

RE the upgraded suspension set, the issue is that the groove in the top half that the bottom sits and pivots in hasn't been cut at a steep enough angle.
                      Apparently a whole batch was produced this way.

I modified mine myself by removing the spring and the circlip holding the pivot pin in place. I then filed out the groove at a steeper angle so the bottom half with the wheel on can extend further. I then reassembled it all and it fits and works great now.

Comment

• I saw the Red Arrows at the Festival of Flight in Biggin Hill on 8/18/2018 during a stop in London to see my sweetheart (a nice surprise for me). As soon as I got back to US soil I ordered the Freewing BAe Hawk from MRC. It is my first EDF jet and I have no business trying to fly it yet but I had to have it (every time I look at it I'm reminded of what my lady did for me that day in August). I put it together dropped a DSMX compatible receiver with gyro in it and set up the jet per the manual. All appears to work just fine...even the recovery switch/button causes flight surfaces to move as expected depending on pitch of the plane, etc. I can't wait to fly her and am also terrified at the same time. I've taxied the plane around in my kitchen/dining area...blew all the photos of my grand kids hanging on the fridge with magnets all over the place. Good fun.

This is my first post on this forum. Here is what prompted me to order the BAe Hawk:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Arrows.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	151152
                        ...and here is what I put together (snapped off the pitot tube going through the front door...duh!):

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	151153
                        I will not fly her until I've spent more time on some other birds I have. This is one of the things I'm going to do to occupy my time when I retire just around the corner. I'm glad I was pointed to this forum. Lots of info and inspiration here!!

Comment

• Originally posted by qmmo44 View Post
                          I saw the Red Arrows at the Festival of Flight in Biggin Hill on 8/18/2018 during a stop in London to see my sweetheart (a nice surprise for me). As soon as I got back to US soil I ordered the Freewing BAe Hawk from MRC. It is my first EDF jet and I have no business trying to fly it yet but I had to have it (every time I look at it I'm reminded of what my lady did for me that day in August). I put it together dropped a DSMX compatible receiver with gyro in it and set up the jet per the manual. All appears to work just fine...even the recovery switch/button causes flight surfaces to move as expected depending on pitch of the plane, etc. I can't wait to fly her and am also terrified at the same time. I've taxied the plane around in my kitchen/dining area...blew all the photos of my grand kids hanging on the fridge with magnets all over the place. Good fun.

This is my first post on this forum. Here is what prompted me to order the BAe Hawk:

Name:	Red Arrows.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	151152
                          ...and here is what I put together (snapped off the pitot tube going through the front door...duh!):

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	151153
                          I will not fly her until I've spent more time on some other birds I have. This is one of the things I'm going to do to occupy my time when I retire just around the corner. I'm glad I was pointed to this forum. Lots of info and inspiration here!!
                          So glad you are here!!!! Congrats on the Hawk and your trip too!!! Welcome!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

So glad you are here!!!! Congrats on the Hawk and your trip too!!! Welcome!!!!
                            Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome sir! I'm really looking forward to learning as much as I can about RC flying and this seemed a great place to dive in. I have several planes from trainers to warbirds and I've only flown the small trainers I have so far. Nothing unexpected...I fly helis a little bit and still like to as I can do that in my back yard. The planes have really piqued my interest though. I had no idea the quality was as good as it is these days and the electronics are amazing. I'm buying as much stuff as I can afford while I still can. Between RC flying and playing guitars really loud my retirement years will be a blast!!

Comment

• Good times!

Comment

• Originally posted by qmmo44 View Post
                                I saw the Red Arrows at the Festival of Flight in Biggin Hill on 8/18/2018 during a stop in London to see my sweetheart (a nice surprise for me). As soon as I got back to US soil I ordered the Freewing BAe Hawk from MRC. It is my first EDF jet and I have no business trying to fly it yet but I had to have it (every time I look at it I'm reminded of what my lady did for me that day in August). I put it together dropped a DSMX compatible receiver with gyro in it and set up the jet per the manual. All appears to work just fine...even the recovery switch/button causes flight surfaces to move as expected depending on pitch of the plane, etc. I can't wait to fly her and am also terrified at the same time. I've taxied the plane around in my kitchen/dining area...blew all the photos of my grand kids hanging on the fridge with magnets all over the place. Good fun.

You are in luck that the Hawk also happens to be one of the top rated first time EDF's for new jet pilots. So it should not be too much for you to handle when your ready. :Cool:

Comment

• Fms version https://youtu.be/FxnceGZBJiE

Comment

• Giant version

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilkigmc View Post
                                      Hi

RE the upgraded suspension set, the issue is that the groove in the top half that the bottom sits and pivots in hasn't been cut at a steep enough angle.
                                      Apparently a whole batch was produced this way.

I modified mine myself by removing the spring and the circlip holding the pivot pin in place. I then filed out the groove at a steeper angle so the bottom half with the wheel on can extend further. I then reassembled it all and it fits and works great now.
                                      Do you have photos of what you are talking about? Are you referencing the gear strut or the gear retract mechanism? My replacement set had the same problem so it looks like a batch issue. Update: I figured out what you are doing. I actually thought of the same option for reworking the struts. I'll try doing that now that I have TWO sets that are defective!

Comment

• Can anyone recommend a 70mm EDF that puts out significantly more thrust then the stock unit that comes in this jet?

Once i get in the air, the stock unit has plenty of thrust but I operate off of grass and I could use a little more oomph to get me off of the ground.

Thanks
                                        Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• Im debating between getting the bae hawk or the yak 130 70 mm. Both ARF, i know asking on the hawk forum might have a bit of bias but oh well. What do you guys think? They are both the same price.

Comment

Working...
                                          X