Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    A few cool shots from today's session! :D
    Frames are from Tuckie's GoPro, flying formation with me on a DJI FPV

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    This one's particularly dedicated to all Metallica fans out there...

Ladies and gentlemen, shall I present to you the "Master of Hornets"

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    There goes some more Hornet rocking!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I didn't think of that myself, tbh.
    Topdogzrc gave me the idea.
    My original plan was to turn the ribbon into a multi-output wire-thing manually.

But I'm lazy and his approach seemed to be more straightforward!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
    Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!
    Oh, now I see what you mean, yes that would do the trick. I'm not that creative so you have to assume you're speaking with a 2 year old.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
    Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM
    That's the same wing connection board that it comes with stock. The photo in the description shows the pins that the aileron/flap servo connections plug into and the other side, not shown, is the connector for the ribbon cable. That's the board I removed so I could just plug the extensions coming from the RX directly into the wing servos. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd leave the wing as is with the ribbon connector, but cut the wires coming off and solder them directly to the extensions going to the RX. I was hoping to find a board that had the same pins on both sides.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks Aros!

Here I come with more Hornet to share! :D

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Airguardian if there's a board out there that fits into the Hornet wing for the aileron and flaps, I'm all ears. Just didn't need the extra wires of a ribbon cable and needed to bypass the circuit board.
    That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Ya fly her like a champ!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    New video sporting the new livery... lovin' it!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I mean the small little green PCBs that come on the wing side which have a ribbon cable input on one end and servo connectors on the other.

I think you can supposedly use those on the opposite side of the ribbon cable to put out individual servo leads again, so they don't get mixed up in the BB. Would have the benefit of still being able to connect the wing using a single connector which is convenient.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Airguardian if there's a board out there that fits into the Hornet wing for the aileron and flaps, I'm all ears. Just didn't need the extra wires of a ribbon cable and needed to bypass the circuit board. Fortunately, there are no wing lights that need to go through it to reduce voltage on. I have a tendency to do things kind of "half a..sed" so anything that works better than what I've got I'm interested. This is my current "Rube Goldberg" (a distinctly American 60's/70's term that many of you may not get) set-up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210925_170728.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	325579

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    I recently got the wing-PCB breakdown boards for the F-18 / MiG-29 so I can bypass the blue box entirely and control each servo individually.
    :)
    What are the wing-PCB breakdown boards? I have each of my wing ailerons & flaps servos plugging directly into my RX on both of my Hornets, primarily because I experienced an issue with flaps on my first Hornet and couldn't get both to work in the air (worked fine on the ground) even with taking flap deployment to 0. I just removed the existing board on each wing and plug the wing servos directly into leads that go to the RX. Not as quick and easy as the stock setup, but have not had a problem since bypassing that main control board. By the way, I've had issues with several FW/FL planes with intermittent flap deployment (B-24/Avanti/F-18) that all have the circuit control board (as opposed to the actual blue box). Have yet to have a problem with any with the actual Blue Boxes. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thank you for the detailed reply, may test some of that out in due time.
    I recently got the wing-PCB breakdown boards for the F-18 / MiG-29 so I can bypass the blue box entirely and control each servo individually.

Will see when I come around to install them though, but it's something I definitely want to try! :)

Leave a comment:

• Gvasiloff
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    I did full span on mine, along with crow, tailerons and rudder air brakes. I didn't put in the full span flaps to replicate the full scale, but more programed it all in to see what gave me a better flying experience. I never use the full span flaps as I found them unstable compared to using regular flaps or crow and rudder air brakes.

Gvasiloff, rating and ship?
    CDR, Pilot, currently writing you from the USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70)...

USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) added a new photo. - USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) (facebook.com)

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I did full span on mine, along with crow, tailerons and rudder air brakes. I didn't put in the full span flaps to replicate the full scale, but more programed it all in to see what gave me a better flying experience. I never use the full span flaps as I found them unstable compared to using regular flaps or crow and rudder air brakes.

Gvasiloff, rating and ship?

Leave a comment:

• Gvasiloff
    replied
    That's actually surprising (that the plane flies so well with full span flaps).

Is that with gyro on?
    And if so, have you tried the same with the gyro off?

May have to test it out myself!
    If tried it with gyro on and off. Obviously it's going to be a little smoother with gyro on. My full flap position is based on full down aileron deflection. I simply programmed the flaps to be flush with the ailerons in that position. So with full span landing flaps, its going to require a considerable amount of nose up compensation which i have programed in to deploy with the flaps. I have the flaps deploy over 3 seconds. To make turns nice and coordinated, i have about 10% rudder mixed in with the ailerons, 100% aileron differential (very little up aileron only), and about a 25% taileron mix. This is very scale to the full size hornet. Their rudders on the full size jet move a lot with lateral stick inputs in the landing configuration to keep it in coordinated flight. I see F-18s land every day in my current job on the ship ;)

For takeoff flaps, I did the same thing but at about 60% of maximum down aileron deflection. Additionally, I have each rudder on a separate channel and mixed each one with the flaps (activated in takeoff flaps only) to toe-in at near maximum deflection. This is a scale feature that the full size hornet uses for takeoff only (activated by a computer when it senses weight on wheels with the flaps down) for extra authority to rotate the nose at slower speeds (such as a bolter on a carrier landing). It really looks cool on this model when you do it and the model with smoothly rotate on it's own in this configuration, just like the real jet. Knowing plenty of legacy hornet pilots and having flown the real simulator myself, the hornet actually requires no input form the pilot on takeoff to rotate. They simply hit a "takeoff trim" button, slam the throttles forward, and when the jet is ready, it rotates on its own. Pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X