X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
    So, do you guys think this is the inrunner motor? I guess it must be there’s a housing around it...
    Even though I'm viewing this on a small smartphone screen, that's an outrunner motor.

Comment

• Sooo, I decided to put an Aura 8 in the jet, I bought it for $50 from a club member who complained he couldn't figure it out and now I know why! But after a little "hand holding" from a friend who has several I got it sorted. I used the manual rates except less aileron, and the factory CG. I got the maiden and 5 flights on it today. I really like it! It looks way cool in flight and was quite easy to spot the landings. As you guys told me the gyro is not necessary but here in California right now the smoke haze is a big problem if you are flying a Mig-21 for the first time! Vis was a little poor. So when i started using the gyro on the second flight I was relieved to have it lock in like it was on rails. No wing rock or over rolling. There's not a whole lot of wing to look at and the Aura 8 really impressed me as there was basically no dialing in, just flip the switch and enjoy the ride. I think it is a quality product.
      I found the Mig to be a little "old school" in its performance. That is not a bad thing but it is not the fastest or most powerful or efficient Freewing jet I own. But it is a little more "pilot friendly" than my 90mm F-104 and similar to my F-5 if not as fast. Where it stands out is it looks cool! Three minutes is definitely appropriate, all my flights were right around 30% battery remaining after three. I'm a bit bummed about that (considering it's an 80mm and I'm using 6s 5000 mAh packs) but you can really see it in flight, going to idle it slows right down, not much of a glider, must be a lot of aerodynamic drag. But on the gas it rocks! Love the tight turns and axial rolls too. Bottom line I am glad I got it, very cool airplane, fun to fly (no drop tanks BTW), and looks like nothing else on earth. This is why I love FW foam jets, I wouldn't really want a turbine with this limited a flight envelope, but you can enjoy flying and owning a Mig-21 without having to take out a second mortgage!

Comment

• Nuts! The guy I bought it from said he'd only flown it a few times and so I figured it was a new one with the inrunner. Next time the EDF gang meets at my local field I'll see what my options are, and whether to try something different or just fly what I bought. It's nice the way it is, just not "impressive". Luckily the Gooniac is in that crew so I'll know exactly what to do after a consult. Thanks!

Comment

• Congrats on the flights!

Comment

• I put the fan from my t33 in my mig 21 and didn’t see anywhere near the flight times that you’d get with the t33, just very slightly better but not even 4 minutes and I’m not a full throttle flyer. I think the t33 requires much less power to push it along, it’s a great glider but the mig definitely isn’t.

Comment

• Ahoj, toto vlákno jsem poprvé. Miloval jsem svůj MiG-21. Při nízkém letu a v zatáčce, regulátor otáček zlomil .... Bylo jaro a já jsem pořád líto dnes.

Comment

Nuts! The guy I bought it from said he'd only flown it a few times and so I figured it was a new one with the inrunner. Next time the EDF gang meets at my local field I'll see what my options are, and whether to try something different or just fly what I bought. It's nice the way it is, just not "impressive". Luckily the Gooniac is in that crew so I'll know exactly what to do after a consult. Thanks!
                Some may scoff at them, but I've been pleased with the FMS Pro 2100kv motor in mine on 6S. For ~$85 and a little bit of work it really made the jet more enjoyable for me.

I had the 1857kv inrunner and the FMS is a noticeable upgrade to that motor. It does make a rearward CG more challenging though as it's lighter.

It's not a speed demon but level flight passes on my best batteries were 109 mph - 113 mph down/up wind. Jet has about 650ft. of vertical in it with this motor, which is pretty respectable, if not unlimited. With the stock motor the behavior was for it to dump all its speed in the turns and take much of the field to regain it. I still need to fly it wider, but it can power through turns better with the greater thrust the FMS has.

Comment

• I wouldn't! I have the FMS 2100kv 80mm fan and motor in my F-5 and it made it better, just as you described, a bit more top speed but noticeably more thrust at part throttle settings. Longer faster flights. I can easily fly that for 4 minutes and land with 40% left in a 5000 mAh pack.

Comment

I wouldn't! I have the FMS 2100kv 80mm fan and motor in my F-5 and it made it better, just as you described, a bit more top speed but noticeably more thrust at part throttle settings. Longer faster flights. I can easily fly that for 4 minutes and land with 40% left in a 5000 mAh pack.
                    If for some reason you wanted the Freewing 1857kv inrunner motor, I had mine for sale relatively inexpensively on the other site and no one bought it. Mine tested at the high range in terms of amps and watts vs. the specs., so I know it's a good motor.

I recently pulled the fan off of it to use it in another project, but I'd consider re-assembling it for you and getting a new HET motor for my 8S Gripen project.

I think you'll be more pleased going another route, like the FMS fan, but if you want to stay stock mine would be an option.

Comment

• Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Next time I fly with Gooniac and the boys (literally! this group of young men is a blast to fly with) I'll ask him what he thinks, I believe he posted he's had 4 power systems in his Mig. Maybe Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroslav Cerny View Post
                        Ahoj, toto vlákno jsem poprvé. Miloval jsem svůj MiG-21. Při nízkém letu a v zatáčce, regulátor otáček zlomil .... Bylo jaro a já jsem pořád líto dnes.

Omlouvám se za havárii. Vaše letadlo vypadalo skvěle. Velmi smutné za vaši ztrátu.

Comment

• My Mig 21 LanceR...

Comment

• piloti modele Welcome to Hobby Squawk! The LanceR configuration and paints scheme is one of my most favorite MiG-21s to look at. You did a great job painting and photographing yours! Thanks for sharing.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by piloti modele View Post
                              My Mig 21 LanceR...
                              PM, Beautiful work. Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Agree, amazing paint job, it looks Mig 21 all the way -- aggressive ! Tempting me to get #2 and copy you. That centre tank makes all the difference.

Comment

• Got the most of it but never the mig-21, so , i just did it.
                                  quick post to share the nightmare for most of us... DECALS !! Planing to do a little paint job and sharing my experience on decals removal from this jet .. extremely easy and simple. Only the vertical stub on one side give little trouble but nothing to cry on it.
                                  Here couple pics to have and idea if someone get intimidated. Well, don’t . You can see have no marks at all.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Glad you were able to take yours off easy, I could never get mine to stay on.

I had the original sheet for the Silver version that came with the kit plus another I bought from Motion and they both blew off mid-flight.

Comment

• I have watched a video demonstration n YouTube where the gentlemen rubs the decals with ice for a 2-3 minutes then pulls the decals off at an angle. Seemed to help quite a bit.

Comment

• I am a little late to the party, but for those of you flying off of grass, are you using a 4000mah or 5000mah batteries? And what sort of flight time does each yield? Planning on picking up the ARF and throwing an FMS 80mm Pro in there.

Comment

• I fly the FMS 2100kv Pro and get 3 minutes throttle time on 4000's and about 3:30 on low C 5000's.

It's hard to get a tail heavy CG with the FMS motor as it's much lighter than the 1857kv FW motor. I shove the battery back as far as I can and still get the velcro strap on it and I'm still a bit nose heavy. It flies great though on grass and in general. Really stable on the ground and flies slow really well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X