Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks DC, yeah if it wasn't for Jeff (Jeff RC) that painted his Arctic Camo and inspired me I wouldn't have this bird again. I was waiting for a new gen version but reading all the comments in here about how she wakes up with an inrunner, and coupled with knowing I would paint her the Arctic scheme I just had to grab another and I am really glad I did. After about 6 flights or so she's totally dialed in and flies fantastic. I too was surprised...I expected her to really be a slug with fully dirty profile but she wasn't. Those low, WOT passes look SWEET!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Im about ready to add another 90mm to my hanger. Currently flying the F-22, T-45 and have the F-15 yet to maiden in 90mm. A-4, A-6, L-39 in 80mm. Was really leaning toward the F-18c when it came out, but the initial bugs really tamped down my enthusiasm.

Had considered the HSD 105mm F-16, but i fly grass ops predominately. So would likely be a really cost ineffective hanger rat, only driven by a little old lady from Pasadena to easter service.

So Im looking for experienced recommendation with regard to the latest High Performance F-18 vs the Super Scale F-16 High Performance

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post
        Im about ready to add another 90mm to my hanger. Currently flying the F-22, T-45 and have the F-15 yet to maiden in 90mm. A-4, A-6, L-39 in 80mm. Was really leaning toward the F-18c when it came out, but the initial bugs really tamped down my enthusiasm.

Had considered the HSD 105mm F-16, but i fly grass ops predominately. So would likely be a really cost ineffective hanger rat, only driven by a little old lady from Pasadena to easter service.

So Im looking for experienced recommendation with regard to the latest High Performance F-18 vs the Super Scale F-16 High Performance
        Hello Jdcrow, with both you make no mistake, I have the F-16 with the Inrunner and the F-18 with the Outrunner. I will upgrade my F-18 to the High Performance version because I think with it, it will absolutly be a burner. The F-16 makes really fun to fly with the Inrunner.
        When you talk about grass ops, the F-18 nose gear will be better than the one of the F-16 in my opinion. I have a paved runway but sometimes I land on the grass strip also and there the F-18 is much better!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post
          Im about ready to add another 90mm to my hanger. Currently flying the F-22, T-45 and have the F-15 yet to maiden in 90mm. A-4, A-6, L-39 in 80mm. Was really leaning toward the F-18c when it came out, but the initial bugs really tamped down my enthusiasm.

The F18 just now started coming as a high performance version with a brand new 9 blade inrunner. I haven't heard any feedback on that power system yet. My F18 has the 1835kv 12bl inrunner and it performs very well with it!

The F16 unfortunately does not have a high performance version yet, so you'd have to upgrade the PNP or buy the ARF plus whatever power system you want.

Comment

• I wouldn't hesitate buying the F-18 now since this is the newer batch with the upgraded all digital metal gear servos and elevator supports strengthened and other known issues fixed. My second F-18 has been rock solid after I replaced the elevator servos with all metal gear. No hybrids. Completely dialed she is a blast to fly and that's the outrunner. I can only imagine how zippy she would be with the new HP version. The same goes for my 90mm F-16 with the inrunner setup. I wouldn't bother with it without running an inrunner setup. She is too heavy for the outrunner IMO. Both are fantastic scale jets with excellent presence.
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Got another 4 flights in of my F-16 Wisconsin Fighter Wing version, along with 4 flights (including the maiden!!!) of the SU-30 and 7 of the Avanti. I've been using the 6000mah 50C Admiral Pro battery and thought it flew well on that, but this time I tried the Roaring Top 5500mah 70C battery and I have to say the inrunner loved it. Gets off the grass quicker and has a higher top end; just flies beautifully. That's all this baby is going to get from now on. This is THE only plane I own that I have yet to coat with the clear Spar Urethane, for fear of adding any extra weight. With the RT's, it can handle it, so it's now on the bench waiting to get coated over the next few days-I really like the extra protection the Urethane gives the foam. Next time out, I'm changing the tail and nose cone to the Lone Star Gunfighters so everyone thinks I have yet another F-16 (which is the only livery of 4 that has yet to see any flight time). Got 3 1/2 minutes with 28% battery left, and that was after doing multiple loops, Spit S's and Cuban 8's. Get more time on the 6000, but definitely not as fun!

On the RT, the 4068-1835kvv inrunner is drawing 116.7 amps (as measured on a GT Power meter) and 2684 watts - nice power. Wish I had a way to measure the thrust, other than stick my head in the exhaust nozzle, take a selfie, and see how my face looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_143751.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	242066
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I figured you would love the RT 5500's...That is my go-to battery for my EDF jets and this one especially. I will throw in an Admiral 5100 Carbon or 5000 but it just doesn't have the same "punch" to me as my RTs. Speaking of I need to grab four more...These two I have are getting pretty used up. That SU-30 is a beaut as well!
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

I figured you would love the RT 5500's...That is my go-to battery for my EDF jets and this one especially. I will throw in an Admiral 5100 Carbon or 5000 but it just doesn't have the same "punch" to me as my RTs. Speaking of I need to grab four more...These two I have are getting pretty used up. That SU-30 is a beaut as well!
                  Unfortunately, the 5500 is out of stock with Jetwerx and with Roaring Top themselves. Got the last 8. 3 arrived earlier this week (which I got to use in the F-16 and SU-30) and hopefully another 5 are coming tomorrow. Also tried to get some of the 6250's that Chris (RC GEEK) uses exclusively in all his FW jets, but snagged the last 1 only. I'll test the output tomorrow (assuming it arrives with the others). With potential shipments from China being stopped, I wonder if we'll see any more for a while, assuming that goes through.
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey, save some for the rest of us!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Unfortunately, the 5500 is out of stock with Jetwerx and with Roaring Top themselves. Got the last 8. 3 arrived earlier this week (which I got to use in the F-16 and SU-30) and hopefully another 5 are coming tomorrow. Also tried to get some of the 6250's that Chris (RC GEEK) uses exclusively in all his FW jets, but snagged the last 1 only. I'll test the output tomorrow (assuming it arrives with the others). With potential shipments from China being stopped, I wonder if we'll see any more for a while, assuming that goes through.
                      F-16 running the 1835 inrunner and 70C 5500mah RTs at AZ jets. 124mph on the radar gun. Stock ones were running at around 105mph.

Roaring Top for the win!

Comment

• Well my dog is in the dog house. On takeoff today she decided it would be a great idea somehow to run right out in front of my F-16 at V1! Broke the canopy, nose cone, gear and nose doors and tanks.

Anybody could have heard me from a mile away. Boxers are especially sensitive so I did feel bad for yelling at her. I gave her a hug, told her I still loved her and yes that I still thought she was stupid for doing it.

Already ordered all the parts and my BP has returned to normal. To make matters worse, my RunCam didn't turn on. Thought it was charged but I guess not. I sure picked a fine time to go on a fast from wine!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Well my dog is in the dog house. On takeoff today she decided it would be a great idea somehow to run right out in front of my F-16 at V1! Broke the canopy, nose cone, gear and nose doors and tanks.

Anybody could have heard me from a mile away. Boxers are especially sensitive so I did feel bad for yelling at her. I gave her a hug, told her I still loved her and yes that I still thought she was stupid for doing it.

Already ordered all the parts and my BP has returned to normal. To make matters worse, my RunCam didn't turn on. Thought it was charged but I guess not. I sure picked a fine time to go on a fast from wine!

Just seems like there is nothing but bad news out there, first the health epidemic and now a mishap with my number 1 favorite modified F-16 (other than my own of course), say it ain't so. And excuse me for saying this, but it is a real shame your video camera didn't work; I'm rolling on the floor at just the thought of what that would have looked like, and God knows, we could all use a little laughter these days. At least it sounds like the parts that got damaged where all the easily replaceable ones though, so could have been worse. Good thing it wasn't me, cause I'd have order an immediate court marshal of the wayward 4 legged ground crew for dereliction of duty followed by a firing squad.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• LOL yeah I too thought, "And I didn't even get it on video!!" Of all the luck! Definitely could have been worse. I even flew it after the event. Just had to tape certain things down and close the giant hole in the canopy. Luckily the airframe and gear is still unscathed. I will feel a lot better after I get all the parts and get her back to normal again. My 4-legged co-pilot has been grounded from all takeoff chases indefinitely!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• She's back! All my replacement parts arrived today and she's good as new. Baylee was not allowed outside of the car during my flight.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

She's back! All my replacement parts arrived today and she's good as new. Baylee was not allowed outside of the car during my flight.

Very nice, she looks none the worse for wear. And I love that you always fly her fully loaded, the only way to go! Baylee probably loved it so much that he was trying to hitch a ride, can't blame him. You really got the nose up landing attitude down! Looks like you got the place all to yourself with everyone quarantined at home, lucky dog. Both clubs I belong to are closed for now so starting to get cabin fever. Watching your videos does help though, so keep 'em coming.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  Very nice, she looks none the worse for wear. And I love that you always fly her fully loaded, the only way to go! Baylee probably loved it so much that he was trying to hitch a ride, can't blame him. You really got the nose up landing attitude down! Looks like you got the place all to yourself with everyone quarantined at home, lucky dog. Both clubs I belong to are closed for now so starting to get cabin fever. Watching your videos does help though, so keep 'em coming.
                                  Thanks Hugh! Yeah I have decided fully loaded is the ONLY way to fly this bird, lol...She just looks too ruthless! Yeah, you would think I have the AoA down pat but that's just because I don't show the less-than perfect landings, LOL!

I have heard more than a few comments telling me they appreciate the videos during this difficult time so it really makes me want to video/publish more flights right now. Every little bit helps I guess? Thanks for watching and enjoying! It means a lot.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• With all this free time on my hands, I've been able to do a little more battery C and EDF power testing. As I said in the SU-30 thread, the EDF inrunners really seem to benefit from a higher C rated battery, say 70-100 (vs 35-50), although we all know that the true C is not anywhere near that. With that said, the Roaring Top 5500 70C tested with the internal resistance ESR meter a true C higher than the Admiral 6000 50C and RT 6250 35C, not surprisingly. Unfortunately that's all I have to test, but image the HRB and Gen Ace high C batteries are similar, but their weight is slightly more and the mah rating is slightly less, so I go for the highest mah for longer flights while still giving enough power for take-off on grass.

The F-16 upgraded inrunner and the SU-30's inrunners gave a power reading of 12% higher in watts (+250 to 350 watts) over the Admiral and RT 6250 35C. That's a big difference for me. Oddly enough, the stock 90mm outrunner EDF's in both my F4 Phantom and Blue Angel and my Stinger 90 got almost zero increase in watts between the RT 70C, Admiral 50C and RT 35C. My only conclusion is that the outrunners don't need or require the higher discharge rate. Chris with RC Geek says that he flies all FW jets on the 6250 35C cause the higher C isn't needed and just adds weight. I'll continue to fly the F-16 & SU-30 on the RT 5500 70C and the F4's and Stinger on the RT6250 35C (which is slightly lighter and should give an extra 25-30 seconds of flight time). If I ever get back out to the field, I'll try the 6250 in the F-16 & SU-30 to see if it is acceptable and gives more flight time. I already flew the F-16 inrunner on the Admiral 6000 50C for about 30 flights and it was good (but when I tried the 70C it rocked).

Just for the hell of it, I tested the stock outrunner in my 1600mm Corsair with each battery and the power increase over the Admiral 5000 50C was +130 watts on the RT 6250 35C and +350 watts with the RT 5500 70C. Just when I thought I solved the issue that the inrunners benefit from a higher C and the outrunners do not, this test baffled me. Maybe that's true with EDF's and not so much with props, but I have no idea. The Corsair really doesn't need any additional power, as it usually gets off the deck almost before you get to full throttle and I rarely "open it up" unless climbing or doing a split S or Cuban 8, so I'll stick with the Admiral 5000 50C which gives at least 6-8 minutes flight time.

After all this, I realize I now know less than I thought I did before. Does any of this make any sense to anyone, or am I completely in left field. All that matters is does the bird fly the way you like it with the battery you choose, and maybe that's the moral of the story.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• LOL Hugh, the one thing I can say with ALL certainty after being in this hobby for 23 years is that I still no NOTHING about C ratings.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Bored with quarantine so I took the first photos of my two current Arctic Camos (FW 90mm F-16, FW 80mm A-10) in my hangar. I wonder what they talk about at night?

Click image for larger version

Name:	arctic1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	246720
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aros;n246719]Bored with quarantine so I took the first photos of my two current Arctic Camos (FW 90mm F-16, FW 80mm A-10) in my hangar. I wonder what they talk about at night? 😼

They discuss how they're going to break out of quarantine and fly FREE. I know this for a fact, couldn't sleep the other night (maybe it was all the alcohol with nothing else to do) and went by the room I use for my hangar and could hear all my planes discussing a mass mutiny. Although the sentiment seemed more centered on stopping me from getting my hands back on the controls as most were quite happy that I haven't been able to take them out lately.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X